Too freakin windy !!!

gymwitch

So i wanted to ride to work which is in southport (long windy road normally, so guaranteed to be a hell of a lot worse) on tues evening but weather warnings were 70km/ 44mph gusts. I went anyway...had to put both feet down when stopped as i was blown off balance a couple of times. I was pooping my pants but got there.

90km/56mph gusts today...errrr hell no, sorry Betty bamalam !!! Car it is then.

How does everyone cope with that degree of wind?? I know im on a light bike and im a short arsed lightweight but blimey !!! I was being blown all over the place. Cars were keeping their distance though.

I cant wait to ride in some decent dry weather !!! It will be a first !!!

Edited by gymwitch

Southport can be a bit breezy, I remember the 24 sailing race a couple of years ago when many boats were destroyed by wind. My parents live on the seafront just down from there and the wind is often very strong.

Bikes in high winds can be tricky, especially lighter ones. The only thing you can do is to keep your speed down, avoid clothing that flaps, watch out for gaps in hedges or buildings where sudden gusts can catch you out, and avoid large vehicles because their wake in high wind can be brutal.

Southport can be a bit breezy, I remember the 24 sailing race a couple of years ago when many boats were destroyed by wind. My parents live on the seafront just down from there and the wind is often very strong.

Bikes in high winds can be tricky, especially lighter ones. The only thing you can do is to keep your speed down, avoid clothing that flaps, watch out for gaps in hedges or buildings where sudden gusts can catch you out, and avoid large vehicles because their wake in high wind can be brutal.

My hubby sails in that. I even did a stint one year when they were short of sailors 😁

The bypass on the way here is always the worst bit. Even on a relatively calm day its windy as !!!

After a very near miss several years ago.. part of a tree came down right in my path. I leave the bike at home in high winds.

Yes tha5s what bothers me about it. Its not necessarily just me getting buffeted about but if something hits you thats game over. What yanks my chain is it will be lively later on going home 😒

15 years in Spain and kph still mean nothing to me!

If I check a map to see how far somewhere is, it means nothing till I convert it to miles.

Same with cms and kgs......I have to convert to inches and pounds!

So if somebody verbally tells me those dimensions in Spanish, I have to translate the words into English, and then convert the height and weight to Imperial measures.

Shit......I sound like a f@cking Brexiteer!

cegiphy.gif.0d76b4e7bf13cb31be4cbda55919d22f.gif

Edited by XTreme

My hubby sails in that. I even did a stint one year when they were short of sailors 😁

The bypass on the way here is always the worst bit. Even on a relatively calm day its windy as !!!

you have to be careful on longton bypass too you get a lot of boy racers on it on saturday nights :|

Relax at let it take you, don't try to hard to counter every gust. I grew up south of you riding pushbikes same principle applies on motorbikes.

I have hear it said the winners of the Southport 24 hour race one particularly blustery year should of held the record for furthest distance under sail. Makes a good tale but I doubt a GP or Enterbarge could average 20 knots...

So i wanted to ride to work which is in southport (long windy road normally, so guaranteed to be a hell of a lot worse) on tues evening but weather warnings were 70km/ 44mph gusts. I went anyway...had to put both feet down when stopped as i was blown off balance a couple of times. I was pooping my pants but got there.

90km/56mph gusts today...errrr hell no, sorry Betty bamalam !!! Car it is then.

How does everyone cope with that degree of wind?? I know im on a light bike and im a short arsed lightweight but blimey !!! I was being blown all over the place. Cars were keeping their distance though.

I cant wait to ride in some decent dry weather !!! It will be a first !!!

Co stant rain and now wind over the wi twr I feel your pain. Commuting through the winter top hasn't been great. I clew and the tracer the other day and went out for a ride, I wish I'd left the panniers off they didn't help with the crosswinds!

Roll on the spring it's been a miserable winter