Motorcycle VED changes

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35733
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 4042 times
Been liked: 3520 times

Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:38 pm

Apparently there is talk on charging VED for bike according to their emissions like they do for cars!

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

User avatar
raesewell
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:21 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Location: Normanton West Yorkshire
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 612 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by raesewell » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:40 pm

Seems fair enough to me.

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35733
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 4042 times
Been liked: 3520 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm

So you're happy to pay more then?
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

User avatar
raesewell
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:21 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Location: Normanton West Yorkshire
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 612 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by raesewell » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Yes

FallingDown
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CRF250 Rally - Streetbob
Location: South Wales
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by FallingDown » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm

Probably inevitable. Think a much fairer way is just to put all the tax on fuel. Then not only will a more fuel efficient (which normally means less polluting) bike and/or riding style be cheaper than a smokey gas guzzler but also people with multiple vehicles don't get hit for a full tax rate on something that could be garaged for 300 days of the year.

User avatar
raesewell
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:21 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 2013
Location: Normanton West Yorkshire
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 612 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by raesewell » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

I have always thought a fairer way was to scrap road tax and put extra duty on fuel, that way the people that use the road most pay the most.

User avatar
Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:07 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Location: Near Oulton Park
Has liked: 847 times
Been liked: 2320 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm

raesewell wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm
I have always thought a fairer way was to scrap road tax and put extra duty on fuel, that way the people that use the road most pay the most.
I agree it's fairer, but regulations rarely take fairness into consideration. Plus with the move to electric vehicles they're unlikely to switch road licence costs to fossil fuels at this stage.

I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35733
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 4042 times
Been liked: 3520 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm
I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?
It's not about the MPG its about the emissions that are put out at the exhaust
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

FallingDown
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CRF250 Rally - Streetbob
Location: South Wales
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by FallingDown » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm
raesewell wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm
I have always thought a fairer way was to scrap road tax and put extra duty on fuel, that way the people that use the road most pay the most.
I agree it's fairer, but regulations rarely take fairness into consideration. Plus with the move to electric vehicles they're unlikely to switch road licence costs to fossil fuels at this stage.

I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?
Perhaps they know that the first thing most people do with a bobber is throw that fat cat in the bin and fit an x-pipe 😉

User avatar
Six30
TOTY 2019
Posts: 8229
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Location: In Rennies wardrobe
Has liked: 2490 times
Been liked: 4086 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Six30 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:30 pm

its all bollox, explain this if its about emissions, i got a little Fiesta tdci van to smoke about in , £220 a year i think it is to tax, if it was a car it would be £30 ,exact same engine in both.
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
The rule of Six.

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35733
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 4042 times
Been liked: 3520 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 pm

Six30 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:30 pm
its all bollox, explain this if its about emissions, i got a little Fiesta tdci van to smoke about in , £220 a year i think it is to tax, if it was a car it would be £30 ,exact same engine in both.
Comes under commercial :wink:
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

User avatar
Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:07 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Location: Near Oulton Park
Has liked: 847 times
Been liked: 2320 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm
Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm
I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?
It's not about the MPG its about the emissions that are put out at the exhaust
I get that, but surely something that does 50% more mpg and has a catalyst is causing less pollution?
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35733
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 4042 times
Been liked: 3520 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Stu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm
Stu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm
Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm
I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?
It's not about the MPG its about the emissions that are put out at the exhaust
I get that, but surely something that does 50% more mpg and has a catalyst is causing less pollution?
Nope unfortunately not!

Bikes naturally create more hydrocarbons than cars!


According to this http://www.righttoride.co.uk/virtuallib ... E-A3SkuxmQ

The fjr on euro 3 puts out 153.6 g/km of co2 emissions and if you bring that in line with car tax rates then you would be paying £530 a year on the 2017 rates! or £200 if registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017. the Euro 3 bike would fall between the 2001 to 17 rates so would be £200 a year

But the change will only effect new bikes so would need to know the latest emissions for the FJR to see what it would be charged although I have heard the FJR is finishing production as they can't meet the new emissions!

I can see a lot more turbo'd bikes being made
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

winston smith
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:05 am
Bike(s): TDM850 - 4tx
Location: west midlands
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by winston smith » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Six30 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:30 pm
its all bollox, explain this if its about emissions, i got a little Fiesta tdci van to smoke about in , £220 a year i think it is to tax, if it was a car it would be £30 ,exact same engine in both.
Comes under commercial :wink:
...and as a commercial the govt have 2 assumptions- it'll spend far more time on the road than a school run/shopping car, and it'll be owned by a business which will just pay it because the business needs the vehicle.

And there are only 2 tax bands for light commercials as opposed to about 12 for cars.

The whole system is a rip off.
Mostly, someone who runs an older car/bike does so because they can't afford a newer one. So loading the ved on older vehicles further penalises the people who can least afford it.
Meanwhile the roads continue to fall apart at an ever increasing rate........ don't get me started

Richzx6r
Posts: 3855
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Re: Motorcycle VED changes

Post by Richzx6r » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Stu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:11 pm
Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm
Stu wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm


It's not about the MPG its about the emissions that are put out at the exhaust
I get that, but surely something that does 50% more mpg and has a catalyst is causing less pollution?
Nope unfortunately not!

Bikes naturally create more hydrocarbons than cars!


According to this http://www.righttoride.co.uk/virtuallib ... E-A3SkuxmQ

The fjr on euro 3 puts out 153.6 g/km of co2 emissions and if you bring that in line with car tax rates then you would be paying £530 a year on the 2017 rates! or £200 if registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017. the Euro 3 bike would fall between the 2001 to 17 rates so would be £200 a year

But the change will only effect new bikes so would need to know the latest emissions for the FJR to see what it would be charged although I have heard the FJR is finishing production as they can't meet the new emissions!

I can see a lot more turbo'd bikes being made
I think it's a good way to go with bikes, fit a nice turbo to them all!!

But would see alot more accidents when riders get caught off guard by the turbo spooling up
Its better when its loaded

Return to “Motorbike Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], fastbob, Jerry1111 and 5 guests