Motorcycle VED changes

Stu

Probably inevitable. Think a much fairer way is just to put all the tax on fuel. Then not only will a more fuel efficient (which normally means less polluting) bike and/or riding style be cheaper than a smokey gas guzzler but also people with multiple vehicles don't get hit for a full tax rate on something that could be garaged for 300 days of the year.

I have always thought a fairer way was to scrap road tax and put extra duty on fuel, that way the people that use the road most pay the most.

I agree it's fairer, but regulations rarely take fairness into consideration. Plus with the move to electric vehicles they're unlikely to switch road licence costs to fossil fuels at this stage.

I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?

I don't get how the current system works. My wife's car is £30 a year to tax but both my bikes do more to the gallon but cost more to tax. How does that work?

It's not about the MPG its about the emissions that are put out at the exhaust

I have always thought a fairer way was to scrap road tax and put extra duty on fuel, that way the people that use the road most pay the most.

I agree it's fairer, but regulations rarely take fairness into consideration. Plus with the move to electric vehicles they're unlikely to switch road licence costs to fossil fuels at this stage.

Perhaps they know that the first thing most people do with a bobber is throw that fat cat in the bin and fit an x-pipe 😉

its all bollox, explain this if its about emissions, i got a little Fiesta tdci van to smoke about in , £220 a year i think it is to tax, if it was a car it would be £30 ,exact same engine in both.

its all bollox, explain this if its about emissions, i got a little Fiesta tdci van to smoke about in , £220 a year i think it is to tax, if it was a car it would be £30 ,exact same engine in both.

Comes under commercial :wink:

I get that, but surely something that does 50% more mpg and has a catalyst is causing less pollution?

I get that, but surely something that does 50% more mpg and has a catalyst is causing less pollution?

Nope unfortunately not!

Bikes naturally create more hydrocarbons than cars!

According to this http://www.righttoride.co.uk/virtuallibrary/environmental/emmissionsbasedscheme070909.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1GXJeWVK0avfPUEV3JfXwWwiedmM_G32v9gz5EAU9lWpyGGE-A3SkuxmQ

The fjr on euro 3 puts out 153.6 g/km of co2 emissions and if you bring that in line with car tax rates then you would be paying £530 a year on the 2017 rates! or £200 if registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017. the Euro 3 bike would fall between the 2001 to 17 rates so would be £200 a year

But the change will only effect new bikes so would need to know the latest emissions for the FJR to see what it would be charged although I have heard the FJR is finishing production as they can't meet the new emissions!

I can see a lot more turbo'd bikes being made

...and as a commercial the govt have 2 assumptions- it'll spend far more time on the road than a school run/shopping car, and it'll be owned by a business which will just pay it because the business needs the vehicle.

And there are only 2 tax bands for light commercials as opposed to about 12 for cars.

The whole system is a rip off.

Mostly, someone who runs an older car/bike does so because they can't afford a newer one. So loading the ved on older vehicles further penalises the people who can least afford it.

Meanwhile the roads continue to fall apart at an ever increasing rate........ don't get me started

Guest Richzx6r

Nope unfortunately not!

Bikes naturally create more hydrocarbons than cars!

According to this http://www.righttoride.co.uk/virtuallibrary/environmental/emmissionsbasedscheme070909.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1GXJeWVK0avfPUEV3JfXwWwiedmM_G32v9gz5EAU9lWpyGGE-A3SkuxmQ

The fjr on euro 3 puts out 153.6 g/km of co2 emissions and if you bring that in line with car tax rates then you would be paying £530 a year on the 2017 rates! or £200 if registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017. the Euro 3 bike would fall between the 2001 to 17 rates so would be £200 a year

But the change will only effect new bikes so would need to know the latest emissions for the FJR to see what it would be charged although I have heard the FJR is finishing production as they can't meet the new emissions!

I can see a lot more turbo'd bikes being made

I think it's a good way to go with bikes, fit a nice turbo to them all!!

But would see alot more accidents when riders get caught off guard by the turbo spooling up

I knew some one would say that, same engine same emissions its all a con.

its just like business rates on a unit! way more than council tax!

its screw the workers over as much as possible

Apparently there is talk on charging VED for bike according to their emissions like they do for cars!

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I don't get it, since all cars registered after 2017 now pay £150 no matter what the emissions are, after the first year.

Apparently there is talk on charging VED for bike according to their emissions like they do for cars!

I don't get it, since all cars registered after 2017 now pay £150 no matter what the emissions are, after the first year.

yeah I think they changed it to that as they was losing out on all these low emissions vehicles

depending on rateable value, think its up to 18k now, no charge.

depending on rateable value, think its up to 18k now, no charge.

Yeah I know that I used to have a commercial unit that was just under :lol:

Tax should be on petrol and diesel for fossil cars

For electric should be flat rate per mile

Hybrids higher flat rate per mile and bands per engine size 1Ltr 2Ltr and anything over 3Ltr taking Piss like porsche 😁

Commercial vehicles need to be on emissions band same as cars, fooking stupid you can have a crappy derv van, change for much cleaner one and pay same.

It's not rocket science

True but some of the first year taxes are eye watering.

Bought my car when it was 6 months old. Paid £150 excise duty. The first years tax was £900.