Route 66

madmitch

Hi all! A bit cliched I know, but I am looking into this trip. From what I have been told, there isn't much of the old road left starting from Chicago down to around Oklahoma City so I am thinking about doing the trip westbound from either Oklahoma City or Albuquerque. Has anyone out there done this trip? I am looking to rent a Harley out there for the one way trip. Ideally as part of a guided group, around September/October time. (weather being more to my liking and Corona Virus hopefully fizzled out!). Looks like I'd be going by myself! Can anyone please advise best way to go about this? Flights, accommodation etc? Any advice appreciated!

If your going guided tour route they will pretty much do the lot, start making some enquiries

USA is so easy for hire and accommodation, been on route 66 briefly in a car, the USA is huge roads can be very very long and Boring, Harley with cruise control is perfect.

Thanks everyone! Much obliged!

I have started to make some enquiries. Started with ORANGE AND BLACK tours, they are getting back to me. XTreme: thank you for that! I am not on facebutt (my kids are of course)! I don't suppose you have an email address for Max, do you?

Thanks everyone! Much obliged!

I have started to make some enquiries. Started with ORANGE AND BLACK tours, they are getting back to me. XTreme: thank you for that! I am not on facebutt (my kids are of course)! I don't suppose you have an email address for Max, do you?

[email protected]

I used to live in OK, up north of Tulsa near the Kansas border, and there are still parts of the old Route 66 in place between Tulsa and OK City. My experience is that, to get the best out of the mid-west, you need to get off the interstates and major state highways - they are very, very dull - and find the roads that take you the back way into the heart of the smaller communities, and have enough time to linger and bump into the local folk, even if its just to stock up on root beer. Don't rush it or try to cover crazy distances*. Stay in small towns or in state parks. The experience is unlike anywhere else on earth. Of course you'll want to visit the big sites too, but I'd suggest looking for a tour that offers more than just a chance to check things off the bucket list.

*A friend and I once did a weekend trip to in Santa Fe, NM - 1500 miles round trip, leaving Friday night, back by Sunday night. It was the kind of trip you have to do once, but never want to do again. I clearly remember running over an armadillo on the last mile before getting home - <> it went under the wheels of mile half-ton Ford Mercury. The next morning on the way home, I looked out for its remains, but there wasn't anything there - it had just got up from the road and wandered off home. Of course, given how exhausted I was, I could have just imagined the whole thing...

Until this virus thing erupted we were deep into organizing a bike tour from Denver.

We made contact through these people here. They plan everything for you.

https://www.eaglerider.com/united-states?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eaglerider.com%2Funited-states%3Futm_source%3Dbing%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_campaign%3Dbrand%26utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=International%20-%20EagleRider%20(Brand)&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Beaglerider%20%2Busa&utm_content=EagleRider%20Rental%20%26%20Tour