If we become unable to walk the dog....

onesea

Some may of observed our efforts to get a dog, one that turned out that is:

Bigger than expected,

Noisier than expected,

High exercise,

Highly friendly and social,

The problem we have is...

He becomes a nightmare if does not get a daily hour off the lead running, some days we can get by with an hour's lead walk.

The next day he needs to be out of lead.

For off lead we are spoiled with the new forest 10 minute drive away.

The local walks front door type walks are monopolized by pompous people who believe dogs should never socialize and who's owners I have learned to socially isolate from before C19.

If they stop allowing walking we will need to get him tranquillisers industrial strength, well if not we won't have much of a house to isolate in. :shock:

The are already the moral brigade saying it's an unnecessary journey :|

Any ideas?

Guest Richzx6r

Or just tell those who complain about it that they are more than welcome to have the dog for a few days and let them experience it when it hasn't had the requisite amount of exercise I'm sure they will keep their mouths shut fairly quickly

Put the dog in front of the TV and make it watch re-runs of Coronation St and East Enders. This should induce a catatonic state in him / her for the duration of this virus. You may have to place a large plastic sheet under the dog to be able to clean it up with soap and water so as not to waste any precious bog roll on it.

If you were taking your dog on the bus to the New Forest then yes there is an argument for you being irresponsible as you could infect key workers that have to use the bus. Driving 10 minutes in your car is only going to upset Greta so I think you'll be fine. Exercise is being encouraged as it's one of the factors that will work in your favour should you catch it.

If you run out of food you can eat the dog :shock:

Yes, sadly poor Fido might find himself having to take a little twirl in the microwave before this thing's out.

About 15 years ago I remember watching Antony Sher in 'Home' - a BBC adaptation of the J.G. Ballard short story 'The Enormous Space'. It's about the rapid mental decline of a man who completely shuts himself off from the outside world by isolating himself in his house. After he ran out of food he started enticing the neighbours pets into his house and eating them. When the money ran out and he couldn't pay his bills he ate the repo man who came for his telly.

Having read the article, something to bear in mind is that if you have an off you will be taking up valuable NHS resources, nobody goes out to intentionally have an accident, but it happens. Just something to bear in mind.

This could have been its own topic I guess so please move if required but felt it was relevant to the OP's concern. A bit of good news 😁

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/can-i-ride-my-motorcycle-during-coronavirus-lockdown

Good news indeed. There has probably not been a better time to ride a motorcycle with the vastly reduced amount of 4 wheel traffic.

Having read the article, something to bear in mind is that if you have an off you will be taking up valuable NHS resources, nobody goes out to intentionally have an accident, but it happens. Just something to bear in mind.

The same if you get punched in the face for being a killjoy. Just saying

Why would anyone punch anyone else for being sensible (killjoy)?

No one really, but I'm glad he's regained a semblance of humor lol

or simply just carry on as normal, dog walking isn't what you would describe as a social activity, if no one else is about let it off the lead, if other people are about just run with it, or buy a skateboard and let it pull you :thumb:

No one really, but I'm glad he's regained a semblance of humor lol

Thank you for noticing :cheers:

Im a dog owner. this is a non-issue. the only thing that would prevent me taking the dog for a walk is if Im housebound due to being symptomatic and too sick to go for a walk due to breathlessness.

Even if the government orders a 'lock-down' - I don't expect the police etc will be too bothered about dog walkers... they will have other things rather more pressing to deal with.

Edited by Gerontious

I'll be walking mine no matter what....just walk him as normal.... let it shit every where and dont pick it up , thats what real dog owners do :thumb:

Just fixed OHs car and took it for a test drive and if you didn't know any different you would say its a normal Saturday morning.

People walking their dogs, posties out, builders working on houses.

No sign of the apocalypse.

Just take the dog for a walk and stay away from human contact.

[mention]onesea[/mention] - don't worry too much about the advice of the moral brigade or the super-correct. Just follow the NHS advice: even if you're infected, you get out in the open air for exercise. Just don't get any closer than 2m to other people. And I would add don't touch stuff (like gates) with your hands (but of course you can touch the dog, the lead. the ball :D )