Chains

James in Brum

Yes you get what you pay for

My option has always been Renthal sprockets with either a Tsubaki chain or D.I.D x ring gold

Ebay has always got the best results for me when buying :)

Yes you get what you pay for

My option has always been Renthal sprockets with either a Tsubaki chain or D.I.D x ring gold

Ebay has always got the best results for me when buying :)

I agree and would add Sunstar to the mix for sprockets. Think wemoto stock them aswell

JT sprockets , EK or DID chain . Don't expect much change out of £100 for a ZZR 600 . Oh yeah , I've got a good quality rivetting tool that you're welcome to borrow .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130803292929

Edited by fastbob

Thank you all, I have bought the ones @fastbob linked.

If you want to borrow a good quality rivetting tool I'm sure we can arrange a virus free hand over .

If you want to borrow a good quality rivetting tool I'm sure we can arrange a virus free hand over .

Do we have a forum riveter?

I was considering buying a whale as I have broken several lighter ones that were supposed to be heavy duty so used to borrow a whale from a dealer friend who has now retired and buggered off.

Then saw the price of the whale and still haven`t completely recovered lol.

Obviously if deposit or similar req then fine with me.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Do we have a forum riveter?

I was considering buying a whale as I have broken several lighter ones that were supposed to be heavy duty so used to borrow a whale from a dealer friend who has now retired and buggered off.

Then saw the price of the whale and still haven`t completely recovered lol.

Obviously if deposit or similar req then fine with me.

Cheers

Ian

Slightly expensive was it?

:shock: :shock: :shock: wtf that is bloody extortionate

I agree ! However it is the best and unlikely to break.

I have used one on many occasions especially when I was mucking about with swingarm lengths.

All the clamp type and the so called heavy duty ones like the Spada are just not up to the job.

I wish I could justify the cost as it is a simple job to do but needs to be done properly.

Cheers

Ian

I stuffed up. I did not check Bob’s link enough, mine is 600d and the chain has arrived and then I check the original listing and realise it is for E’s not D’s.

asking the vendor to return or swap now. Totally my error.

My apologies , I didn't pay any heed to what model you have . I was just showing that you can get JT sprockets and DID chain for a reasonable price .

I wouldn't bother buying one of those chain tools. Last one I had broke under the strain and took a chunk out of my thumb. The more expensive ones may be stronger but one you start getting to the price link in the thread you may as well get some more general use tools if you don't already have them and achieve the same result.

To remove the chain I just cut it with an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. You can knock the heads off the rivets if you like and take it apart that way but if you're throwing the old chain away then just cut through the whole chain.

To fit the new chain I fit the chain to the bike making sure it's the right length and put the link in place. I then use a ball pein hammer and a lump hammer to mushroom the rivet heads. I use the lump hammer as an anvil behind the chain and spread the rivet with the ball pein hammer. The trick is to deform the head of the rivet but while you're doing it keep checking that the link is freely moving. You don't have to deform the rivet that much, the force on the chain isn't lateral.

I've done this for about 20 years and never had a problem. There are plenty of instructional videos on you tube.

I wouldn't bother buying one of those chain tools. Last one I had broke under the strain and took a chunk out of my thumb. The more expensive ones may be stronger but one you start getting to the price link in the thread you may as well get some more general use tools if you don't already have them and achieve the same result.

To remove the chain I just cut it with an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. You can knock the heads off the rivets if you like and take it apart that way but if you're throwing the old chain away then just cut through the whole chain.

To fit the new chain I fit the chain to the bike making sure it's the right length and put the link in place. I then use a ball pein hammer and a lump hammer to mushroom the rivet heads. I use the lump hammer as an anvil behind the chain and spread the rivet with the ball pein hammer. The trick is to deform the head of the rivet but while you're doing it keep checking that the link is freely moving. You don't have to deform the rivet that much, the force on the chain isn't lateral.

I've done this for about 20 years and never had a problem. There are plenty of instructional videos on you tube.

:stupid:

Except I grind the head off the rivet and push through with a nail punch. Less mess that way. :thumb: