Lawnmower restoration

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So during last summer I acquired a petrol lawnmower a flymo venturer turbo 420 xl as a possible replacement for my electric one but it could now do with abit of tlc so I hauled it through to the garage and started seeing what I need to do.

So far I know I need a new spark plug and ignition box as the ht lead end is20200324_150324.thumb.jpg.ea81d140b707844bb157af9c7548826d.jpg

Plug cap

There is also a cable for the speed that needs replacement.

Also the carb needs a damned good cleaning as what I took out of the float bowl20200324_145336.thumb.jpg.f8d8d70215391f259dcc4355161c2358.jpg

Shite in carb

Really didnt look good so it probably needs a sonic cleaning and replacement air filter.

I did squirt a decent amount of brake and clutch cleaner it its orifices but I'm thinking it needs more as the carb really is in a state 20200324_145343.thumb.jpg.a0b3689cf8182ad0bf6b422202ce77e3.jpg

Float bowl

Now it's a dellorto carburetor but I have been told by a shop that the parts are no longer available so feeling abit stuck as to whether it's worth restoring or should I just get rid of it and buy something newer and better or persevere with it in the hope it comes through

20200324_150211.thumb.jpg.335081ef57b055d50a1a7e555fc03a19.jpg

Plug

So during last summer I acquired a petrol lawnmower a flymo venturer turbo 420 xl

Sorry, I've got no useful advice but is this 'mower turbocharged? :lol:

So cool... can you fit a dump valve/up the boost? 8-)

Good point well made. I have a spare turbo he can have for a very reasonable* price.

I had the exact same issue as to the parts with a sit on mower! 20 Stellas and a flick through gumtree and the next thing I know there's a bloke knocking at the door with a sit on lawn mower. Perfect, I love a project, so I took it to work and sat it in the back to the armoury doing little bits to it as I went along. It was a tecsumeh or something which also wasn't a company anymore so I ended up getting rid. A turbo lawn mower sounds fun, I bet the neighbours would love some anti-lag on that! :twisted: :twisted:

I have repaired a few lawnmowers in my time. My rule of thumb is that once they need more than just a plug and a general clean they're not worth doing. Parts are a pain, they are expensive and they are generally rubbish. On the other hand the last two I got needed a new spring on one and nothing at all on the other - just cleaning up and fettling, and they ran for years.

One was a £1400 machine the guy threw out because it wouldn't start on the electric starter. It fired first time on the cord and all the electric starter needed was a new battery.

The other one just needed a new spring on the carb.

Guest Richzx6r

What's the preferred oil you use @Richzx6r ?

Apparently it uses 5w30 so I have some of that from my wife's service on the car so I'll use some of that

Guest Richzx6r

I have repaired a few lawnmowers in my time. My rule of thumb is that once they need more than just a plug and a general clean they're not worth doing. Parts are a pain, they are expensive and they are generally rubbish. On the other hand the last two I got needed a new spring on one and nothing at all on the other - just cleaning up and fettling, and they ran for years.

One was a £1400 machine the guy threw out because it wouldn't start on the electric starter. It fired first time on the cord and all the electric starter needed was a new battery.

The other one just needed a new spring on the carb.

I know it needs a new cable for the choke and drive speed and a spring for the return on the carb and a new air filter and plug, new oil and a couple of gaskets and a grass box and abit of a clean