Best Battery? Flooded. AGM, GEL?

Bucephalas

Buy a Motobatt MBYZ16HD AGM Battery

Why? because they are just about the best and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are completely leak proof, maintenance free, charged ready to fit straight out of the box.

nb.. be sure to check that the part number is the right one for your specific year.. as you dont mention it and that is a best guess on my part.

:stupid:

Wemoto supply Motobatt so you can check compatibility.

As an aside be careful if someone recommends Lithium ion replacement.

I know of too many Reg/rec problems following fitment and watched a mate struggle to restart his ZZR1400 a few hours after having ridden from York to London, so it was unlikely to be flat but it wouldn't turn the bike over.

Cheers

Ian

I have nothing but good things to say about the Dynavolt Gel Nano battery that's in my CBX250RS, it's been in there nearly 5 years now and even with rather extended periods of sitting still (sometimes over 6 months..) it chucks the motor round with gusto.

As for AGM and normal sloshy lead acid, I've never had more than 4 years out of one. But then I've not had a Motobatt :)

Theres not a huge amount of difference between a GEL and an AGM, aside from the AGM having fibreglass mats between the lead plates that are soaked in GEL. what this means is the lead plates are supported by the fibre glass mats and so can be thinner and made from a purer form of lead. so pure it needs the support or it would bend/deform when the bike goes over a bump. Purer lead means (effectively) more power. as well as a little weight loss.

Ever since my boat building days I've always preferred AGM or Gel batteries as having acid slopping about in the bilges is not considered to be a good thing. Sealed lead/acid are okay but wouldn't be my choice.

lead acid from my local motor factor supplier ..because they work.. and the expensive clever types are not worth the extra. :up:

Unfortunately not all modern bikes (including my 2004 ZRX) don't necessarily have a vertically mounted battery.

A lead acid battery on it`s side probably won`t need removing as it will corrode it`s way out.

Cheers

Ian

mine lies on its back.. and is tiny.

P1010039.JPG

It is the OEM lithium mind.

Wow that is tiny !

Never thought I would say that in an nice way lol.

Reference my earlier comment about Lithium batteries, yours was standard fitment and your wiring loom and Regulator etc are designed for it so it would be wrong to go for a different type.

It is when people try to marry a lithium battery to a conventional system that problems seem to arise.

Cheers

Ian

Reference my earlier comment about Lithium batteries, yours was standard fitment and your wiring loom and Regulator etc are designed for it so it would be wrong to go for a different type.

It is when people try to marry a lithium battery to a conventional system that problems seem to arise.

Cheers

Ian

It may have been a problem once.. but any issues are rapidly being fixed. As technology advances these batteries are coming complete with hardware and software as standard that will ready the power flowing in both directions. so as far as the bike itself is concerned.. its just another 12v bike battery.

Cheers

Ian

It may have been a problem once.. but any issues are rapidly being fixed. As technology advances these batteries are coming complete with hardware and software as standard that will ready the power flowing in both directions. so as far as the bike itself is concerned.. its just another 12v bike battery.

yes I have read some articles about the progress but for the moment none of the bikes I use are catered for.

Hopefully soon to change and for the racing stuff an easy weight saving as well.

Cheers

Ian

Buy a Motobatt MBYZ16HD AGM Battery

Why? because they are just about the best and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are completely leak proof, maintenance free, charged ready to fit straight out of the box.

nb.. be sure to check that the part number is the right one for your specific year.. as you dont mention it and that is a best guess on my part.

That's what I replaced the battery of my R1200RT with.

Slightly smaller than OE, slightly lighter, much cheaper than buying from a BMW dealer and, according to the specs, more ampere hours and Cold Cranking Amps. Motobatt AGM recommended.

Tayna are a good supplier, but they don't have a F700GS on their list. Either find out the make and model of your current battery, take measurements of height width and length, or find a BMW model which takes the same battery and is listed. Lots of detail on the Tayna website. :)