Engine related but not bike.2strke fuel, 4strke engine?

James in Brum

Guest Richzx6r

I'd suggest getting as much of the mix out of the tank as you can then take the float bowl off and clean it out same with the jets as they may be gummed up abit then fill with fresh fuel and cross your fingers

The oil mix is usually around 2% maybe slightly more than that, aside from some extra smoke it shouldn't be problematic. You can dilute it further as the machine runs if the smoke is too much to bear. Might be worthwhile giving it a dose of carb cleaner as and when you can.

Apart from a bit of smoke it'll probably do it good . Seriously , once the new fuel has gone through the carb it will be fine .

Back in the day I ran a transit on pre mixed 2 stroke from Brands Hatch back to Croydon more than once as I had premixed race fuel for the bikes but couldn't afford more fuel for the van.

Never did any harm and once flushed through with neat petrol (Which it was back then complete with crushed dinosaurs).

As said above probably did the engine good.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks all. Just need to fix the awful squeal. There has been a suggestion by my brother in law it is the pull start spring. I have taken that off to ‘service’ if not I have no idea what it is. I do know the pull was not returning when it started so that is why I am starting there.

Ran out of gas on my Gixxer (Carb) once ( forgotten that I’d gone on to reserve the previous day ) guy leaving the local MX track stopped & gave me a couple of pints of pre-mix to get me to a petrol station, had no probs at all.

Thanks all. Just need to fix the awful squeal. There has been a suggestion by my brother in law it is the pull start spring. I have taken that off to ‘service’ if not I have no idea what it is. I do know the pull was not returning when it started so that is why I am starting there.

Fantastic post !!

Cheers

Ian

Greta.jpg.9b65bb8113c5bb71465620a0a79bcef0.jpg

If it was me would run it at full throttle so it smoked like hell then send a video to Greta in Sweden just to piss her off. :mrgreen:

The rotovator will be fine it may smoke a little but not a problem.

Sorry my comment and pic was meant to go here !

Doh!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

She may be a bit naive and idealistic as well as obviously being used by her parents and others but this is still a little girl that you're picking on. Come on guys.

I agree

Pick on the scheming manipulative parents instead, in a couple of years she will be fair game.

I put two stroke in a four stroke rotavator once. When I fired it up it bounded along the ground with the blades just skipping across the hard ground. It took the side out of our greenhouse before demolishing a hole in the fence.

Now the fuel used may not have been entirely to blame but be warned, rotavators can have a mind of their own.

The return spring has probably broken (the bent 'hook' at one end). You may be able to bend in a new 'hook' and refit but its probably worth buying a new spring.

8-)

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

I have serviced the spring pull and I have replaced the clutch.

When I pulled I got a lot of resistance. Seemed to be too much so I looked at the oil and it was fit to spilling out the cap. I took some out (quite a lot) and there is a lot less resistance.

No idea if this was the right thing to do, just seemed like too much if spilling out.

There is a clunk three quarters of the way through the pull which was there when there was all the oil in but it was hard to pull so less pronounced. I could not see a spark at the plug. No sign of damage to the plug.

There is compression when I pull. I have run out of ideas and knowledge and will likely take it to local menders.

• 1 month later...

I will be that for sure. Possible you will find the broken end (curved bit) of the spring has ground a shallow groove in the pull gear wheel.

8-)