Best time to buy MT09/Bike?

MarkK92

For what it's worth I bought my Tracer 900gt in July. I test rode all the new bikes I thought I would like that were in my price bracket. My wife and I both loved the Tracer. It was well speced up for the price. I looked at the demo bike they had but the finance interest was higher 6.9% wheras the new was 2.9%. I went to numerous dealers and all said they couldn't budge on the price but one offered me 200 quid extra for my trade in a big discount on a top box and it's rack. The finance deal ended that week and Yamaha were not telling the dealers what the new deal was (all the other yam dealer said the same) As this one seemed good and in my price range I went for it and was glad I did so as the interest deal did go up.

I think there are a few important things to think about when taking the plunge on a new bike. Can I afford it? Can I afford it if I have a change in circumstances? Is this deal right for me?. I put down a bigger deposit and the balloon payment is 3k at the end. I intend to keep my Tracer at the end of it and I have worked out over the 3 years that I need to save up that 3k so I'm being disciplined and making sure I save away 85 quid a month just for this.

It's crap but sometimes you just need to hold fire until you are in the right financial position I had to wait nearly 3 years. Don't be sucked in there will always be the right deal out there but get yourself prepared for it

No deal is a good deal if you can't afford it at that time.

I already own a Tracer 850 (2015). Th first year it was really smooth and a joy to ride. Then, slowly, it started surging and snatching. It had the ECU re-mapped which improved it but it has slowly reverted to the same surging and snatching. Yamaha didn't want to know and the garage said that they all did it. I test rode the later version (900 2018) and that had the same problem as mine. It is quite bad now and I have to slip the clutch on roundabouts and sharp turns because of it.

I am now looking at replacing it with the 900 GT and, as a recent purchaser and obvious fan, I was wondering if you could tell me if you've noticed any of this on your bike. I love the Tracer for it's ride, stability and power and have the GT in my sites for a test ride when this virus eases off.

I would suggest you hang fire on buying until you have completed your DAS
I feel guilty about selling on my last bike to a guy who had not passed his test yet. Obviously all tests are frozen right now , so he won't be riding it for weeks yet.

Another thing is about buying your dream bike as a first bike. How will you feel if you drop it? There is something to be said about buying a piece of junk that you don't care about and if you kill it, so what?

OK you're disregarding those things so ...... how about a reminder that we are currently at war with a the worst pandemic for 90 years? The fallout from that with be a massive wealth shift. People will loose their jobs and we don't know what the impact and secondary impact could be. It might be that you can't keep up repayments. Its almost curtain the the marker will be flooded with used toys and dealers fighting to reduce their stock liability.

I would wait a couple of months at least.

There always seems to be one arse at every dealership and he's usually in charge.

When I passed my test I fell in love with a Harley. It had been beautifully customised by HD and used for 3 months as an ornament in their offices (this may have been dealer BS but it sounded feasible ). The guy on the shop floor couldn't have been more helpful, answered all my questions and gave me a test ride on a demonstrator. I asked how long I had and he said come back when you're ready to buy it, or at 5oclock. 10 mins was enough. Went back and he sent me over to the "business manager" to do the deal. I always ask for a discount and on a 15k bike figured there would be some wiggle room or at very least some free goodies. When I said is there anything you can do with the price he sniped "well I can put it up for you if you really want." I got up and walked out. That bike sat in there for another 6 months gradually being reduced in price. It was up for 11999 when it finally disappeared. I'd have paid full price if he had just said "I'd love to but it owes me too much, here have a free umbrella/cap/first service."

There always seems to be one arse at every dealership and he's usually in charge.

When I passed my test I fell in love with a Harley. It had been beautifully customised by HD and used for 3 months as an ornament in their offices (this may have been dealer BS but it sounded feasible ). The guy on the shop floor couldn't have been more helpful, answered all my questions and gave me a test ride on a demonstrator. I asked how long I had and he said come back when you're ready to buy it, or at 5oclock. 10 mins was enough. Went back and he sent me over to the "business manager" to do the deal. I always ask for a discount and on a 15k bike figured there would be some wiggle room or at very least some free goodies. When I said is there anything you can do with the price he sniped "well I can put it up for you if you really want." I got up and walked out. That bike sat in there for another 6 months gradually being reduced in price. It was up for 11999 when it finally disappeared. I'd have paid full price if he had just said "I'd love to but it owes me too much, here have a free umbrella/cap/first service."

Well done you for sticking to your guns!

I must admit as the price dropped I bet you were tempted on a number of occasions lol.

Cheers Ian

I must admit as the price dropped I bet you were tempted on a number of occasions lol.

Cheers Ian

I can't really accept that credit although I like to think I would have even if I didn't stop at Yamaha on the way home and put a deposit down on their replica Harley Breakout.

IMG_20200304_001627.thumb.jpg.766b9d63550af62a8843d34d0c363fb4.jpg

I've since been through a couple of bikes and landed back on a Harley but it wasn't from that dealer!

Cheers Ian

For what its worth I found the Harley dealer in Uppingham near Rutland water an easy firm to deal with and stunning roads.

Made a day of it and test rode a few lol.

Didn't buy any of them but he was still polite and trying to interest me.

If I was in the market for one I would start there.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up at West Coast in Glasgow. Was the best price at the time which I know can often be a mistake as I found out when I bought my Africa Twin from Fowler's (I now know known locally as foul ups) of Bristol.

Was a totally different experience. Couldn't have been made to feel more valued as a customer. I just wish I wasn't 400 miles away from them as it would be nice to go there for servicing etc.

For what it's worth I bought my Tracer 900gt in July. I test rode all the new bikes I thought I would like that were in my price bracket. My wife and I both loved the Tracer. It was well speced up for the price. I looked at the demo bike they had but the finance interest was higher 6.9% wheras the new was 2.9%. I went to numerous dealers and all said they couldn't budge on the price but one offered me 200 quid extra for my trade in a big discount on a top box and it's rack. The finance deal ended that week and Yamaha were not telling the dealers what the new deal was (all the other yam dealer said the same) As this one seemed good and in my price range I went for it and was glad I did so as the interest deal did go up.

I think there are a few important things to think about when taking the plunge on a new bike. Can I afford it? Can I afford it if I have a change in circumstances? Is this deal right for me?. I put down a bigger deposit and the balloon payment is 3k at the end. I intend to keep my Tracer at the end of it and I have worked out over the 3 years that I need to save up that 3k so I'm being disciplined and making sure I save away 85 quid a month just for this.

It's crap but sometimes you just need to hold fire until you are in the right financial position I had to wait nearly 3 years. Don't be sucked in there will always be the right deal out there but get yourself prepared for it

I already own a Tracer 850 (2015). Th first year it was really smooth and a joy to ride. Then, slowly, it started surging and snatching. It had the ECU re-mapped which improved it but it has slowly reverted to the same surging and snatching. Yamaha didn't want to know and the garage said that they all did it. I test rode the later version (900 2018) and that had the same problem as mine. It is quite bad now and I have to slip the clutch on roundabouts and sharp turns because of it.

I am now looking at replacing it with the 900 GT and, as a recent purchaser and obvious fan, I was wondering if you could tell me if you've noticed any of this on your bike. I love the Tracer for it's ride, stability and power and have the GT in my sites for a test ride when this virus eases off.

So far it's been all fine no such issues and using it in all weather's I'm approaching 5k. What sort of mileage were you at when you encountered the issues? Maybe 2nd opinion from another dealer as sounds like something they should have sorted or a quick email to yamaha UK.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up at West Coast in Glasgow. Was the best price at the time which I know can often be a mistake as I found out when I bought my Africa Twin from Fowler's (I now know known locally as foul ups) of Bristol.

Was a totally different experience. Couldn't have been made to feel more valued as a customer. I just wish I wasn't 400 miles away from them as it would be nice to go there for servicing etc.

You will laugh your socks off if and when you learn my surname LOL.

No relation by the way!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

I'm gutted it's not Frog

Cheers

Ian

I'm gutted it's not Frog

Frog is what I call the OH and there area lot of people round here who only know her by that name lol.

Silly joke that has lasted 32 years and has become habit lol.

Cheers

Ian

So far it's been all fine no such issues and using it in all weather's I'm approaching 5k. What sort of mileage were you at when you encountered the issues? Maybe 2nd opinion from another dealer as sounds like something they should have sorted or a quick email to yamaha UK.

Thanks for the response. I had it a year and it was beautifully smooth and I could hold 30 easily. Then, it slowly started surging and snatching. Dealer changed the speed and acceleration sensors. Excellent for 100 miles then it slowly came back. Back to the dealer, changed a faulty plug (acceleration better now). Excellent again for 100 miles the slowly returned. Contacted Yamaha and eventually spoke to someone technical. I was told to test ride the same model and if it was different they would do something. Test bike was just the same, although the original test bike wasn't as bad. I had now owned the bike for 2 years! I had the ECU re mapped and that lasted about 400 miles and then it slowly came back. Now 5 years on and I think I will upgrade to the 900 GT as I am not really enjoying riding as much as I should because of it. I will do a test ride but wanted the opinion of someone who has one already.

Thanks for the response. I had it a year and it was beautifully smooth and I could hold 30 easily. Then, it slowly started surging and snatching. Dealer changed the speed and acceleration sensors. Excellent for 100 miles then it slowly came back. Back to the dealer, changed a faulty plug (acceleration better now). Excellent again for 100 miles the slowly returned. Contacted Yamaha and eventually spoke to someone technical. I was told to test ride the same model and if it was different they would do something. Test bike was just the same, although the original test bike wasn't as bad. I had now owned the bike for 2 years! I had the ECU re mapped and that lasted about 400 miles and then it slowly came back. Now 5 years on and I think I will upgrade to the 900 GT as I am not really enjoying riding as much as I should because of it. I will do a test ride but wanted the opinion of someone who has one already.

That's awful to hear I hope you kick up a real stink and try to get something done by the supplier/manufacturer.

It is wrong for the end user (You) to end up with something that is acknowledged to be faulty/compromised and therefore to suffer the greater depreciation.

Cheers

Ian

That's awful to hear I hope you kick up a real stink and try to get something done by the supplier/manufacturer.

It is wrong for the end user (You) to end up with something that is acknowledged to be faulty/compromised and therefore to suffer the greater depreciation.

Cheers

Ian

Tried everything and got nowhere. I already have a trade in value via email so will make them honour that as they say that that model had that problem anyway. Just looking forward to testing the 900 GT and moving on.