I’m a new rider with a couple questions

Jjquelch

Hey

My first bike is a 2011 Yamaha zfr125

I have a few question as I’m still learning how to properly ride my bike in my area.

I’m use to driving cars and I’ve realised I have a real hard time to see cars behind me. I can see through my left hand mirror quite easily but the right hand mirror doesn’t really show me the cars behind me and I keep moving the position and I still can’t see anything behind me.

Secondly, where should I position myself on the road? I’m from the UK London.

Thirdly, I find it difficult to find it difficult to turn into roads. I feel like I’m going too fast so I go in first to turn into new roads but then realise I’m going way too slow... is it fine for me to coast in gear 2 around a corner and then carry on in second? Which I do in a car?

Thanks for the help in advance

I assume that you are a Key Worker on a daily commute . If so , you couldn't have picked a better time to perfect your riding skills . In the City where I live the roads are almost empty , and rightly so . Just try to remember what you were taught during your CBT . After all it wasn't a test , it was a training course . Good luck and stay safe .

I can see 2 questions the first looks more like a statement that you can't see in your mirrors. The adjustment will depend on the bike.

2nd you position central unless turning right or left, in which case you will need to be in the left or right part of the lane and check over your shoulder before the turn, left turn left shoulder.

3rd, if you feel you're going to fast, you might be. The turn will have slowed you by the time you complete it, 2nd gear is good for slow manoeuvres.

You will benefit from watching some DAS training on youtube. These videos will explain road position etc.

Yes I’m a key worker and have a CBT

I’ve forgotten exactly what he said so that’s why I asked the question here

Great , same here although I can't justify firing up my bike when I live five minutes away from work by bicycle . The trick is to just relax and enjoy yourself and it will come to you over time . It's worth remembering that a lot of us older riders just jumped on 250's and figured it out for ourselves and some of us actually survived 😁 . Try not to overthink things and try to concentrate on being observant . If you get in a sticky situation , don't be embarrassed to indicate left and simply pull over to let traffic pass . Keep up the good work in these challenging times .

Guest Richzx6r

Agree with above, in respect to road position I generally ride in the right hand car wheel track as in my view there is less likely to be something I may have missed in the road using that position.

In my view if you are coasting in to corners you will feel you are going too quick as you have a lot less control over the vehicle so no matter if it's in the car or the bike I'd strongly recommend you get out of the habit of coasting through corners start with trying this method for a while and see if that makes you feel more confident if not we go to the next step

Thanks rich

1. Mirrors - depends on the bike and how large you are. Bike mirrors can show less than car wing mirrors. If yours aren't giving a clear view of the road maybe you need to install a different type of mirror - long stem for example.

2. Where to position yourself varies. Sometimes you want to be nearer the kerb, sometimes nearer the middle of the lane, sometimes nearer the central lines on the road. Keep an eye on the road surface and ride to keep to a good surface. Usually I avoid the middle of the lane as that's where oil drops from car engines and car tyres don't clean that bit of the road. In a rural area that's where you'll find the most grit and mud, whereas where car wheels run the surface is cleaner.

If approaching a bend, particularly a right hand bend, I'll see if it's safe to keep a bit more to the left. It gives you a better view into the bend and keeps you clear of muppets coming round the bend on the wrong side of the road. Approaching a left hand bend I'll move out a bit for better visibility but still keep clear of the outer part of the lane to avoid people cutting the corner and so coming onto my side of the road.

Usually I prefer to ride more towards the middle of the road - ie on the right hand side of the lane as it dominates the lane and stops idiots trying to squeeze past where there isn't room. It also means overtaking is easier from that position. Approaching a junction the right hand side of the lane gives you better view of traffic joining from the left - which is more likely to pull into your line of travel. It also tends to prevent traffic coming from the right by ensuring they have to let you past before pulling out. (If you're on the left side of the lane some of them will try to pull out thinking they've got space to do so.)

But really there is no one road position that is right - it's a case of always adapting to conditions, surface, visibility, traffic.

3. For corners you shouldn't be coasting - you'll fail a test doing that so don't get into the habit. Bike gears are higher than car gears - I'm usually cornering in 1st or 2nd depending on the layout of the road. A sweeping corner you might do in 3rd - a tight corner you'd be in first. Being in gear gives you much better control of the bike. Don't forget that to settle a bike turning a light touch of rear brake at slow speed can help.

Hi

Mirrors Rider make the mistake of trying to see all of the car 2 metres behind them in both mirrors. I have never understood why

Near side mirror to see behind you and off side mirror positioned to see what coming up along side you for an overtake

If riding in traffic position yourself direct in front of the driver following If you are in front he will see you if you position to the side he will be looking at the back of the car in front of you and will tend to reduce the distance from your back wheel. If you are on a multi lane road be aware driver coming up your inside may try to get into your space ( again Car drivers tend to only look immediately in front of them)

Turning Dont cut the corner ( Apex it) you will run wide on the exit. Second gear and trail ( Gentle pressure) your back brake as you tip into the corner release the brake and add a little throttle. Dont coast with the clutch in as the bike leans over the circumference of the tyre reduces so you will slow the slower you go the more your bike want to tip then you fight the bike to keep to your line. Adding a little throttle when you start to tip maintains a steady speed and keeps the bike stable. Also LOOK where you want to go NOT at what you want to miss. Don't look at the road surface immediately in front of your bike or thats where your face will end up.

Look to take some additional training if you can from a reputable outfit

I emphasise do not coast when turning into side roads. You have no control on the bike.

If it is a tight tun don’t be afraid of going into first and going slow. You have “L”s on so traffic should give you consideration.

2nd gear may give more control turning into side roads and may be a LITTLE clutch slip to control speed but not coasting.

Frankly going off your thread regarding what is under your seat if you actually have a bike I suggest you give it up and get the bus.

Yep I agree . Forget the old fuel pump , chatting on about getting a mechanic to refit a 10mm socket to the bike takes stupidity to another level . If you do get the bus make sure the nutter dosen't come and sit next to you . Then again , you might be the nutter on the bus . 🤣🤣🤣

Can someone just answer the question or does everyone on here ask for a background life story before giving some valuable info? Lmao

eamonn-andrews.jpg.4e68dabf1156565d4e4ff98b570371cb.jpg

a lot of us older riders just jumped on 250's and figured it out for ourselves and some of us actually survived

Sunday evening after the [strikeout]road race[/strikeout] ride out in the afternoon!

zogiphy.gif.e47534ad7638f34b502f1de9e6004937.gif

Death & Dismemberment every weekend.......the best days of our lives!

Frankly going off your thread regarding what is under your seat if you actually have a bike I suggest you give it up and get the bus.

I reckon this is @dynax with a stealth profile on the wind up

Come to think of it.......where is [mention]dynax[/mention]?

Come to think of it.......where is @dynax?

meet-the-man-who-turned-his-apartment-into-a-baked-beans-museum-3.jpg.c839a6c5aae8e0db6bb9e0d5dd009c98.jpg

Has been quiet. Joking aside I hope he's ok

Has been quiet. Joking aside I hope he's ok

He always says Good Morning in the Good Morning thread .