How much fuel do I need?

Pbassred

I'm not actually doing a track day but going a training event at a track - a CSS cornering course. They say arrive with a full tank. That gives me 300 miles. Could I possible burn more than that?

Guest Richzx6r

When I went to snetterton a tank that normally lasts 150-160 miles on road lasted 75 miles on track so id go with a full tank and take a few fuel cans full with you

• 1 month later...

To be honest I would run the full tank and if you really really need it either fill up onsite (most large tracks have onsite fuel, yes its not cheap but who cares for one tank) or nip out at lunch and brim it. Saves faffing with a jerry can or multiple small jerry cans.

On my regular track days I will do a full tank on my 675R and track dependent maybe another half/ 2/3rds if there are many long straights. If its a skills day then it will be fairly relaxed and you won't be pinned all day especially if its on cornering as they will be focusing on technique but you may get the last few sessions as all out time.

• 5 months later...

When I went to snetterton a tank that normally lasts 150-160 miles on road lasted 75 miles on track so id go with a full tank and take a few fuel cans full with you

Just seen this as Id love to go Cadwell soon, do they not have fuel onsite? I was going to ride there so no option to carry fuel as such

As i posted saw the post above lol.,Does Cadwell carry fuel.

I would imagine that the training course providers are well aware of the average range of a suitable bike and would have designed the course accordingly .

Guest Richzx6r

Jedi I did Cadwell about 6 or 7 years ago and from memory I think they did but its expensive if bought from the site £1.70 - 1.85 or so is common

Jedi I did Cadwell about 6 or 7 years ago and from memory I think they did but its expensive if bought from the site £1.70 - 1.85 or so is common

yeah does add up. Not bad if you can nip out to fuel up during breaks. I don't fancy carrying fuel on the bike, plus its a ride there too so would need to refuel close by. the more i read the more I am tempted to take it in a van. Or get the Mrs to follow in her car

Guest Richzx6r

yeah does add up. Not bad if you can nip out to fuel up during breaks. I don't fancy carrying fuel on the bike, plus its a ride there too so would need to refuel close by. the more i read the more I am tempted to take it in a van. Or get the Mrs to follow in her car

I would 100% opt to take it in a van just incase the worst was to happen and Cadwell park has a nasty habit of lulling in to a false sense of security then shitting on you when you think you are getting the hang of the track

I'm not saying you will come a cropper but when I did Cadwell I did so just talking from experience and most of the corners are taken at between 60 to 100+mph so it's a quick circuit and whatever you do make sure you are in no higher than 2nd for park corner and be prepared for the front to come up every time you come over the mountain they are the two main areas that people normally get caught out on that and pushing the front going in to the left at the bottom of the hill

I would 100% opt to take it in a van just incase the worst was to happen and Cadwell park has a nasty habit of lulling in to a false sense of security then shitting on you when you think you are getting the hang of the track

I'm not saying you will come a cropper but when I did Cadwell I did so just talking from experience and most of the corners are taken at between 60 to 100+mph so it's a quick circuit and whatever you do make sure you are in no higher than 2nd for park corner and be prepared for the front to come up every time you come over the mountain they are the two main areas that people normally get caught out on that and pushing the front going in to the left at the bottom of the hill

Appreciate that advice. I have seen a few come off on the hairpin, just slide right off. Id only be in Novice, so not sure about 100mph corners lol. Have you been since?

You might want to consider the availability of hospital beds at this time .

Guest Richzx6r

Appreciate that advice. I have seen a few come off on the hairpin, just slide right off. Id only be in Novice, so not sure about 100mph corners lol. Have you been since?

When I did my first trackday at Mallory park in 2012 I was in the novice group and was doing 100+mph round the first hairpin so I'd definitely say you will be doing 100mph plus going through the first 3 corners

You might want to consider the availability of hospital beds at this time .

You know there isn't any track days on right now right?

I am speaking of when we are free. But to answer, Lincolnshire still not busy, nor is Doncaster or Worksop. But tracks are closed anyway.

When I did my first trackday at Mallory park in 2012 I was in the novice group and was doing 100+mph round the first hairpin so I'd definitely say you will be doing 100mph plus going through the first 3 corners

So the take-home message is be ready to grow some balls lol

Id love to see some video of people taking that hairpin at 100+, looks tight

Edited by jedibiker

Guest Richzx6r

Pretty much yeah, if you let me know when you are going to do it I may whip up some funds and join you for the day on the ninja as it's not all that far from me and it's been a fair while since I have done a trackday but may see about using my old ninja j1 as a semi race bike though I will need a fair few bits for it before that's track ready

Pretty much yeah, if you let me know when you are going to do it I may whip up some funds and join you for the day on the ninja as it's not all that far from me and it's been a fair while since I have done a trackday but may see about using my old ninja j1 as a semi race bike though I will need a fair few bits for it before that's track ready

Will do, il work out how far it is etc once i do. Cadwell is closest for me

Guest Richzx6r

From memory coming down start finish straight I was top end of 4th low end 5th gear so maybe 145/150mph back a gear for the first left (120ish), and steady increase on the throttle through the following 2 right handers with a gear change between them then up to 5th again on the park straight so again up to 150ish back down to 2nd gear for the right of park corner which is a fairly late apex almost 90 degree corner and possibly one of the slowest on the track then it's a very long right hander up to maybe low end of 4th gear before going back a gear for the left hander at the top of the hill back to 2nd for the left at the bottom of the hill then a quick squirt to top end of 3rd maybe low end of 4th to the left right chicane at bottom of the mountain which again is taken best in 2nd gear to give a good amount of drive up the hill (remember to cover that rear brake as it will wheelie) after that it's the right left right left all of which can be taken midrange in 3rd, back to 2nd for the next right and up to 3rd for the final right hander and back on the stsrt/finish

Edited by Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

Will do, il work out how far it is etc once i do. Cadwell is closest for me

Either Cadwell or oulton park are my closest ones being in Sunderland

From memory coming down start finish straight I was top end of 4th low end 5th gear so maybe 145/150mph back a gear for the first left (120ish), and steady increase on the throttle through the following 2 right handers whither a gear change between them then up to 5th again on the park straight so again up to 150ish back down to 2nd gear for the right of park corner which is a fairly late apex almost 90 degree corner and possibly one of the slowest on the track then it's a very long right hander up to maybe low end of 4th gear before going back a gear for the left hander at the top of the hill back to 2nd for the left and the bottom of the hill then a quick squirt to top end of 3rd maybe low end of 4th to the left right chicane at bottom of the mountain which again is taken best in 2nd gear to give a good amount of drive up the hill (remember to cover that rear brake as it will wheelie) after that it's the right left right left all of which can be taken midrange in 3rd, back to 2nd for the next right and up to 3rd for the final right hander and back on the stsrt/finish

very good. my bike tops out about 130 lol but for first track day will be fine. I will be changing it late this year. Well was until all this shit with covid.

also, its only 1.5hours away so not bad at all.

Guest Richzx6r

I'd watch a few novice trackday videos on YouTube to get an idea also dont believe all the spout about tyre pressures I have messed around with pressures quite alot and when you lower the pressure as some say to do it runs the handling so I'd just stick with what the solo riding pressure should be and none of this shite about going down to 30psi in the rear and stuff as all it really does is ruin the tyre and make the handling feel sluggish

I'd watch a few novice trackday videos on YouTube to get an idea also dont believe all the spout about tyre pressures I have messed around with pressures quite alot and when you lower the pressure as some say to do it runs the handling so I'd just stick with what the solo riding pressure should be and none of this shite about going down to 30psi in the rear and stuff as all it really does is ruin the tyre and make the handling feel sluggish

got to agree, will leave that for the advanced. Ive watched loads on Cadwell, it has some tricky corners. Some of the novice vids I saw they did take there time. I know I would want to push my limits carefully but still not too far. Mallory looks decent. That big bend you gradually build up on looks mint

Guest Richzx6r

Aye my first trackday was mint, loved Mallory park and would definitely recommend it as a starter track as its just so forgiving