Fzr1000 bottom end

Is it necessary or overkill for me to replace the bottom end bearings on my bike, i have the cases split anyway and the bike has 48k on it but the rods feel great. Free moving with no free play. It's about £100 for a set but i dont want to cause damage by removing the nuts and risking stripped threads or anything like that if i dont have to.

Side note question. Has anyone got any good tips for removing 27 year old original black rubber gaskets from aluminium without causing damage?

Also i know i have been posting a lot but i so much free time at the moment with all this going on and I'm going crazy sitting in the house with the mrs and the baby. Lol

Regards, Eric.

I use a blunted Stanley blade on scabby old gaskets. Did the ZX750 that way when I turbofied it and that's a 95 reg.

The blade must be blunted otherwise it'll gouge the ali. Cardboard is good for that.

Is it necessary or overkill for me to replace the bottom end bearings on my bike, i have the cases split anyway and the bike has 48k on it but the rods feel great. Free moving with no free play. It's about £100 for a set but i dont want to cause damage by removing the nuts and risking stripped threads or anything like that if i dont have to.

Side note question. Has anyone got any good tips for removing 27 year old original black rubber gaskets from aluminium without causing damage?

Also i know i have been posting a lot but i so much free time at the moment with all this going on and I'm going crazy sitting in the house with the mrs and the baby. Lol

Regards, Eric.

To remove the old rubber gaskets use a Stanley knife blade but if you hold the blade carefully in your hand it will prevent you going too hard and cutting into the aluminium (don't blame me if you cut yourself lol) I find knives or scrapers encourage you to be too cavalier.

Clean residue with brake cleaner or thinners (please don't smoke!).

Also if you can warm everything before you start it will be easier.

Cheers

Ian

I wouldn't bother, they're known for being very tough motors (as long as you keep the oil topped up and the valves in spec..). The bottom ends should go forever.