I'm looking for the hardest route in wales

mooip123

Hey guys as you can see by the title, I have been looking for some of the hardest or technically challenging motorcycle routes in Wales. I am from South Wales and enjoy riding some route that are challenging like the abergwesin pass (sorry if that's the wrong spelling) but after this lock down I would like to start challenging myself on the bike and get more miles down.

So if you have a route (bearing in mind anywhere in Wales as I would still have to travel there) that you think is technically challenging or the hardest route you have traveled leave it in this thread with where you start, end up, how long it is (in miles) and if it's you most challenging or how hard you thought it was I would be very much appreciated

Well I was going to suggest something but a quick Google revealed that you already know about the Abergwesyn Pass . I'm guessing that you have ridden The Devils Staircase that is nearby . I had never heard of it until after I burned out my clutch on my ER5 trying to climb it . The real challenge for me was getting all the way back to Coventry with hardly any bite left in the clutch but I made it all the way home . Which was fun . My favourite part of this journey is when you reach a point that Google Maps has called " Very remote place with letterbox and phonebox " Yep , that's a good description . https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64618&p=1006622&hilit=Devils#p1006622 EDIT , just had a look on Google Maps and unfortunately the description has been removed .

Polish_20200405_192945294.thumb.png.92a80c60ddcc73b2eb2a79a1f8737019.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2

I mean like most rider challenging like the hidden routes like the abergwesin pass it's pretty challenging for a beginner like me, I'm pretty sure I may have ridden the devil's staircase is it on the way to tregaron? Because if it is I've done it, that whole route is challenging with different gradients twists and blind bends. Cheers for the replys

I mean like most rider challenging like the hidden routes like the abergwesin pass it's pretty challenging for a beginner like me, I'm pretty sure I may have ridden the devil's staircase is it on the way to tregaron? Because if it is I've done it, that whole route is challenging with different gradients twists and blind bends. Cheers for the replys

It is on the way to Tregaron . It's the bit with the hairpin bends .

If you are into that kind of single track road , you need to get yourself up to Scotland some time in the future and ride the NC500 or at least parts of it . If you want to get a taste of what it's like , there is a brilliant series of nine videos on YouTube by Fat Lad on a bike . I've been to all the places on the route at one time or another and watching the whole set of videos was a great way to pass an afternoon.

The photos below are from my trips on an old ER5 that I did up .

Polish_20200310_221357702.thumb.png.abcc26c91d60613bf8df1831b3834b61.png

Here's some of my recent pictures from Scotland .

• Like 1

Ok , this is my favourite bit . I rode this section going the other way on my ER5 a couple of years ago . Absolutely brilliant . This is where having a fast bike really dosen't matter as long as you can get up the hills .

WP_20180717_10_33_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.b008d472c88015152a98e24547135361.jpg

Here you go , same viewpoint .

530090483_WP_20180717_09_51_24_Pro(2).thumb.jpg.c4481eeac35ec935366b51fc71b17bbf.jpg

It's a shame they didn't stop here , great little cafe .

• Like 1

It is on the way to Tregaron . It's the bit with the hairpin bends .

Yeah man absolutely loved that bit very challenging especially on my 125

What bike are you riding @mooip123 ?

I'm only on a the 125 still on l plates but I love the long rides

You'd be welcome to tag along with my little group sometime. We are on cruisers so can keep it at a 125 pace. We've all been learners and know the importance of riding within your limits. I'm useless with the directions but my brother gets us to all the good roads. Breakfast, coffee and cake feature quite heavily on our rides.

Rugged individualism.

I noticed a tent in one of your pics. Do you stay on camp sites or just any old place you stop?

I generally stay on campsites because it's very difficult to find a good location without leaving the bike some distance away . When I'm bicycle touring do a lot more free camping . The law in Scotland permits you to camp anywhere as long as you behave responsibly and respect the environment . Unfortunately this right is being badly abused by piss heads and druggies from Glasgow who are littering the shores of Loch Lomond with rubbish and abandoned tents .

Polish_20200406_171312486.thumb.png.26948f4f5faca5f05a3f3b048a900a61.png

I generally stay on campsites because it's very difficult to find a good location without leaving the bike some distance away . When I'm bicycle touring do a lot more free camping . The law in Scotland permits you to camp anywhere as long as you behave responsibly and respect the environment.

I wish we could free camp down this end of the country, it would make some of my longer planned journeys much more straight forward.

Yeah I use this website but it doesn't really tell you how challenging the routes are which is why I'm asking you guys with the experience of riding said routes

I tell you what mate, if you pay my daily rate plus expenses, I'll get over there and ride the routes for you. Then I'll tell you which one was hardest.

I'll even do it on a 125 if you like.

Yeah I use this website but it doesn't really tell you how challenging the routes are which is why I'm asking you guys with the experience of riding said routes

What is it that you actually mean by challenging ? I went on the M25 once and that was very challenging indeed . 😁