What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

I would be expecting at least 14v, does it jump up if you turn off/disconnect the headlight?

Yesterday I plucked the stones and glass out of the tyres, finally removed the bit of the exhaust heatshield on the K that has broke off back in January and was just rattling about, and then added an hour to the clock. The mechanical masterclass continues! :roll:

Then I had to ride it to go pick some bits up, couldn't believe how much traffic was about and how many people were outside getting close to each other. Oh dear.. Also the counter at the petrol station had almost zero social distancing measures for the staff, just the same as ever. I can see this not ending well.

Guest Richzx6r

I would be expecting at least 14v, does it jump up if you turn off/disconnect the headlight?

Yesterday I plucked the stones and glass out of the tyres, finally removed the bit of the exhaust heatshield on the K that has broke off back in January and was just rattling about, and then added an hour to the clock. The mechanical masterclass continues! :roll:

Then I had to ride it to go pick some bits up, couldn't believe how much traffic was about and how many people were outside getting close to each other. Oh dear.. Also the counter at the petrol station had almost zero social distancing measures for the staff, just the same as ever. I can see this not ending well.

That was with all auxiliaries off when I put the lights on it wen down to around 13.50-65v was jumping around all over the place, so I may have a problem with the stator then?

probably crap wiring!

check the output at the reg/rec rather than the battery

insert the probes in to the back of the connector on the reg/rec side

also best off posting in pitstop :wink:

Guest Richzx6r

probably crap wiring!

I'll do that once I'm messing around with the bike again, still need to send off the optimate that is faulty too

probably crap wiring!

I'll do that once I'm messing around with the bike again, still need to send off the optimate that is faulty too

Let us know how you get on with that?

I found Oxford very good to deal with.

They replaced my Optimate foc even though it was out of warranty.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Mine is just a cheapo one the missus got me for xmas off Ebay I think it was 25 quid or so so nothing too expensive

Cleaned her AGAIN....scrubbed and lubed the chain AGAIN....got a little wire brush and wd40'd all the little rusty screws and bits i could see AGAIN then wheeled her back into the shed 😭😭😭😭

Cleaned her AGAIN....scrubbed and lubed the chain AGAIN....got a little wire brush and wd40'd all the little rusty screws and bits i could see AGAIN then wheeled her back into the shed 😭😭😭😭

I wouldn't use WD40 if screws get rusty.

I use a brass brush for all the metal parts and for cleaning the brake pads (the ones used to clean suede shoes) they will be softer and will clean the screws better.

If you want to stop rust to get to the screws, instead use some grease or get a bottle of car wax and dip them into the wax this will seal them for a while.

alternative is the dry silicone spray used for chains.

But nothing will beat SS screws ;)

I use a brass brush for all the metal parts and for cleaning the brake pads (the ones used to clean suede shoes) they will be softer and will clean the screws better.

If you want to stop rust to get to the screws, instead use some grease or get a bottle of car wax and dip them into the wax this will seal them for a while.

Cool. Thanks !!! All my fairing ones are SS but the rest arent. I will do that today 😁 what can i do with a horribly rusty exhsust ??

Cool. Thanks !!! All my fairing ones are SS but the rest arent. I will do that today 😁 what can i do with a horribly rusty exhsust ??

Give it multiple coats of high temperature black paint . Toolstation stuff works well . Some people recommend barbecue paint but I haven't tried that .

If you want to paint it then you should use something like this

https://shop.vitcas.com/products/heat-resistant-materials/heat-resistant-paints.html

I have painted my iron machine with it and works great.

First remove the rust with a stainless steel scrub pad like this one and some elbow grease ( i get mine elbow grease from toolstation :P)

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/main/60227/145886/stainless-steel-standard-weight-scouring-pads-12-pack.jpg

You can get them in any supermarket

Make sure all rust is gone before spaying or the rust will come back again and ruin everything. If too much rust then better use a detail or DA sander and then the scrub pad to finish it.

Give it multiple coats of high temperature black paint . Toolstation stuff works well . Some people recommend barbecue paint but I haven't tried that .

I agree with Bob on the Toolstation stuff.

I’ve used it and it lays on well, oddly it comes in 400ml cans rather than the usual 500ml.

I’ve used it and it lays on well, oddly it comes in 400ml cans rather than the usual 500ml.

Toolstation stuff works well yes, Vicas ones go up to 800c and aren't expensive ;)

Had to go and look , mine are 500ml . Here you go . https://www.toolstation.com/high-temperature-spray-paint-500ml/p64927#full-desc

Had to go and look , mine are 500ml . Here you go . https://www.toolstation.com/high-temperature-spray-paint-500ml/p64927#full-desc

My bad, it’s the VHT Lacquer I got from Jawels that was 400ml

If you want to paint it then you should use something like this

https://shop.vitcas.com/products/heat-resistant-materials/heat-resistant-paints.html

I have painted my iron machine with it and works great.

First remove the rust with a stainless steel scrub pad like this one and some elbow grease ( i get mine elbow grease from toolstation :P)

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/main/60227/145886/stainless-steel-standard-weight-scouring-pads-12-pack.jpg

You can get them in any supermarket

Make sure all rust is gone before spaying or the rust will come back again and ruin everything. If too much rust then better use a detail or DA sander and then the scrub pad to finish it.

Thanks 🙂

20160131_151806.thumb.jpg.c3903de8c3c41842cc36489e84d7aa4e.jpg

These are the 2004 black downpipes that were on my Rex I think you can see it`s not a bad finish.

From memory that's about 4 coats thick and applied wet on dry with minimal flatting in between.

Almost a shame they are hanging in the garage but I like to be able to put back to original should I want to sell.

Cheers

Ian