Insurance Fully Comp or Third F & T ?

Spongefinger

Hi all,

I was supposed to be doing my DAS next month but...well you know what. Anyway gave me a chance to look into stuff and been thinking about insurance. From what I've seen if you have a cheap bike and have an accident there is a good chance it will be classed as a write off as repair costs will be high compared to value of bike. This in mind if you do have a cheap bike is it worth getting fully comp ? Thoughts.

Cheers.

Most of the time fully comp is cheaper

Oh ok I just assumed third party was cheaper 🤣

Yeah I was surprised to find this out but does seem the case. Maybe not for younger folks I'm not sure. Compare the market lets you put in the details once then tweak thinks like cover level and excess to see what works. Also if your job isn't that specific look at your occupation. It can make a big difference.

Third party used to be cheaper but now its often the most expensive as they think you are a scroat so charge 3 times what fully comp is, go figure

It used to be but as said above. Also they know that they can always makeahite up like we not paying.out because it's a bank holiday and you didnt have suncream in your bag .

We not.paying out because you had the right indicator on the left and the left indicator on the right but there universal dont matter .

Dont think you get a good time because your your fully comp.compred to tp.f.t they screw you if then can no matter what..

Third party used to be cheaper but now its often the most expensive as they think you are a scroat so charge 3 times what fully comp is, go figure

It used to be but as said above. Also they know that they can always makeahite up like we not paying.out because it's a bank holiday and you didnt have suncream in your bag .

We not.paying out because you had the right indicator on the left and the left indicator on the right but there universal dont matter .

Dont think you get a good time because your your fully comp.compred to tp.f.t they screw you if then can no matter what..

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned insurance is just what you pay to stop being harassed by the police.

Your excess could be more than the bike is worth too.....that would make fully comp pretty useless.

Yes and no, they will chase 3rd party harder.

£600 pound excess bike worth £500

Damage to 3rd party 3k liability £3500 total loss of £2900

100 your fault loss to insurer pays £2900

50/50 settlement insurer pays £1750

Not your fault 3rd party pays all, and your excess, but you ride motorcycles so that never happens...

It's not that clear cut but unless massive difference in premium it's worthy of consideration.

if your job isn't that specific look at your occupation. It can make a big difference.
Which occupations are cheapest?

As with many things in insurance that varies between companies, and also changes from time to time.

And its very often not logical - I know from experience that teachers are lower risk occupation while a lot of them are atrocious drivers.

Best to use a comparison site and try different occupations from their list that fits with what you do for a job

Also if your job isn't that specific look at your occupation. It can make a big difference.

I run a fish shop so usually put down i'm a fryer. Found if I put manager down it knocked £44 off for the year :lol:

I've found the biggest factor in price for me is where it is stored.

If I have it as 'private drive', 'enclosed private area' or 'on the street' I get exactly the same quote.

Put it in a locked private garage and it drops down from like £2,000 to £450.

A tip from my experience, especially if you have doubts.

While you are searching, ask about breakdown recovery if they offer it as an optional extra. I usually get this as it only costs a bit more and I've used it a few times when I ran out of fuel/crashed/bike broke down. I suspect (but not sure) that it would be cheaper as an add-on through your insurance company's cover, rather than a separate service from another company which is what I read people ask about.

Also consider if anyone else will likely ride your bike or if you plan to take it abroad (overseas insurance cover) as sometimes these extras really are not very much at all but can be very useful. Also, sometimes if I get a few good quotes, I'll bargain down, especially if I like the company but I think they can do better with the price. :thumb:

It's also worthwhile asking what's included, last year when i took out my policy the premium was around £800 FC, i asked what was included and when they removed the extras i didn't want the premium was £617 :thumb:

Compare the market make an account...

Best I have found plus it remembers you details for next year...

Oh and rescue my car for you and partner.. is cheap if you don't break down very often.

I have a triumph so am aware this...

One thing to always do is check different Comparison sites. I found that compare the market usually got me cheaper quotes than gocompare and thats with the same brokers!

Shop, Shop, Shop around :thumb: