Why are footpegs sprung?

Pbassred

I didn't notice it on my previous bikes but on the VFR, when I lift my boot sometime the peg comes up with it. For a while I thought my boot or trousers were snagging on something (quite scary). Why aren't they fixed? a solid peg might act as a frame slider. Perhaps some are?

As [mention]XTreme[/mention] says they would dig in if they come in contact with the road while cornering and have you off.

Also in a crash/drop they fold to stop them snapping so you have less chance of them breaking so you could still ride home

As @XTreme says they would dig in if they come in contact with the road while cornering and have you off.

Also in a crash/drop they fold to stop them snapping so you have less chance of them breaking so you could still ride home

Went through the window of an Indian restaurant in Summer 1972.......I was on a Triumph 3TA and was racing a mate on a BSA Starfire,

Went into a roundabout too hot, dropped it down and right peg dug in! Got launched off the bike through the restaurant window and landed on the tables while people were eating.

If that wasn't funny enough the battery ended up on the opposite side of the roundabout!

So there was me inside the restaurant on the exit of the roundabout, the bike on the ground in the middle of the roundabout, and the battery way back on the approach to the roundabout!

Hey.....we've all done it!

1182346701_giphy(1).gif.40d33e6c2cec50a615782dcaa098dcb9.gif

The fact you are still alive is probably evidence that miracles do happen.

That one wasn't a biggie by any means. Feb 78 was a biggie......tank slapper at 110 on a GT750 Suzuki.

Hit the deck and bounced and spun for about 100 yards. Ripped my Levis and a few scrapes but nothing else.

From 71-73 I'd say about 30 unscheduled dismounts.....hitting cars both moving and stationary (ended up on the roof of a VW Beetle once), garage doors, shops, traffic lights, slaughter house gates, but in most cases either losing it on bends or wheelies!

My most memorable dismount was twice in 30 seconds in 1971......once going into the roundabout, then remounting and binning it on the way out. In front of a bus stop full of people! Here's the roundabout in Swansea.....

1852891404_Annotation2020-04-10111847.thumb.jpg.1395af564f6a491b523dbf619b4f1182.jpg

The funniest looking back was early 72 and binning the Triumph 3TA on a patch of wet leaves! I was lying in the middle of the road and this old woman just walks up and asks me for directions as if nothing had happened. I told her......and off she walked! :lol:

Never had an off on the road since the 1978 tank slapper (offroad don't count).

My Guardian Angel has always been with me......never broke a bone, never wrecked a bike, never made an insurance claim.

So there was me inside the restaurant on the exit of the roundabout, the bike on the ground in the middle of the roundabout, and the battery way back on the approach to the roundabout!

You left a tip, right? Otherwise that's just plain rude.

From 71-73 I'd say about 30 unscheduled dismounts.....hitting cars both moving and stationary (ended up on the roof of a VW Beetle once), garage doors, shops, traffic lights, slaughter house gates, but in most cases either losing it on bends or wheelies!

Gosh! I wish I had your experience. I've no crashes to learn from :crybaby:

You left a tip, right? Otherwise that's just plain rude.

Gosh! I wish I had your experience. I've no crashes to learn from :crybaby:

It was a different world then......different demographic in terms of riders.

Street battles with skinheads, refused service in cafes and pubs......in fact some places in West Wales would have Police on the approach roads into the towns to stop us entering.

Nobody ever thought of safety back then (helmets weren't compulsory till June 73).......more often than not everybody would have a skinful and then use the roads as a racetrack.

I'm not saying it's right or condoning it (because it's obviously not) but we lived in a different world back then.

Now the tests are much stricter, people can get training (didn't exist back then), and the bikes and equipment are so much safer.

Yes it costs money.......but paying your dues by Bank Card is probably a better option than paying your dues in blood and guts.

I can remember racing my mate on the paths in Sefton Park in Liverpool at about 0300 after a heavy drinking session. When we finished that I rode to Manchester to see my girlfriend (now wife). Different world.

I can remember racing my mate on the paths in Sefton Park in Liverpool at about 0300 after a heavy drinking session. When we finished that I rode to Manchester to see my girlfriend (now wife). Different world.

They were the best times though [mention]S-Westerly[/mention].......I'd go back in a heartbeat.

It's the experiences and the memories that stay with you.

I remember one guy, Dai Tanner, who used to fall off his bike a lot......and as you know we all hunted in packs then.

And the first time he did it......he started crying! :lol:

Everybody was horrified cos he was shaming us.......so he got told that if he cried again he'd get a twatting. :lol:

Sure enough he kept falling off......and everytime he did he started his snivelling. So we'd all run over to him (even if he was still on the floor) and give him a f*cking belting! :lol:

If anybody missed the run, and they found out he'd been crying, they'd just give him another belting as soon as they saw him. :lol:

I'd go back in a second if only because I'd be 20 something instead of 60 something. When I got my first bike in London I rode it up to Liverpool never having properly ridden a bike before. Fell off twice somewhere in a foggy Oxfordshire. Still have no idea of the way I went.

I'd go back in a second if only because I'd be 20 something instead of 60 something. When I got my first bike in London I rode it up to Liverpool never having properly ridden a bike before. Fell off twice somewhere in a foggy Oxfordshire. Still have no idea of the way I went.

We had freedom then didn't we?

That's why I loved Life on Mars.......back to 73 as it was!

As @XTreme says they would dig in if they come in contact with the road while cornering and have you off.

Went through the window of an Indian restaurant in Summer 1972.......I was on a Triumph 3TA and was racing a mate on a BSA Starfire,

Went into a roundabout too hot, dropped it down and right peg dug in! Got launched off the bike through the restaurant window and landed on the tables while people were eating.

If that wasn't funny enough the battery ended up on the opposite side of the roundabout!

Hey.....we've all done it!

did you have a quick curry while you were there