cyclists...

Six30

keep seeing our lycra clad friends out on their bikes, just seen a gruop of 4... there is no way they are out for an hours exercise they are out for the day, i bet the police dont make them go home cause they will just say exercising officer :x

Yep, the MAMILS will be out and about. That said I believe our local cops have been chastising riders further away from their homes than they should be. Of course who defines the distance and how is open to interpretation.

I can't really see an issue if a solo cyclist ventures out into the country lanes and doesn't interact with anyone . Whether they cycle ten , twenty or thirty miles seems irrelevant . The problem for a lot of people in the big cities is that they don't have access to any country lanes and that is why they are flocking to urban parks in concentrated numbers .

I can't really see an issue if a solo cyclist ventures out into the country lanes and doesn't interact with anyone . Whether they cycle ten , twenty or thirty miles seems irrelevant . The problem for a lot of people in the big cities is that they don't have access to any country lanes and that is why they are flocking to urban parks in concentrated numbers .

cause if any one said they had been out on their motorbike you'd be a complete irresponsible scoundrel....

you can come off a pushbike and take up NHS time as much as you can on a motorbike.

cause if any one said they had been out on their motorbike you'd be a complete irresponsible scoundrel....

you can come off a pushbike and take up NHS time as much as you can on a motorbike.

That is true .

The road I live on is a cycle and walking route. I think Halfords must of sold out of bikes there has been that many going up and down over last week. :lol:

And that's not including the regular lycra brigade

My mate owns a cycle chop. Has never been so busy. There are going to be winners and losers in this but ultimately if they are doing more than the hour a day then they are no better than the bikers out for a ride.

The hour walking, running, cycling has been allowed to enable people to stay or get healthy and help with immune system, stress and mental illness. I guess these have been chosen as the three things most people could have access to without having to stray far from home. I'm sure there are open water swimmers that think that should be allowed and many other activities but it isn't. People are starting to get hostile and jealous. I get shitty looks and the w@#ker sign on my drive to work from people out walking their dog, but then that was happening long before Coronavirus 😒

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwi-vIHJ2d3oAhVrDGMBHZLmBv4QxfQBMAB6BAgKEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhdh.com%2Fcoronavirus%2F3d-simulation-shows-how-a-single-cough-can-spread-coronavirus-through-a-grocery-store%2F&usg=AOvVaw3DRIHfxb1QvXrnax4eCtVg

This is 3 d simulation how can covid spread through the air

There are some others that claim 2 meters distance is minimum wile people are stationary.

For runners is greater up to 5

For cyclists is 10 meters

[mention]Marino[/mention]

After watching that video I think I'll keep to my back garden and stay out of the front. My house is on a very popular cycle/running route :shock:

You only have to remember how far smoke travels from a smoker or the vape from a mentalist, breath is invisible but spreads far, we had a runner go straight past us on a path couple of nights back, the road was deserted, if the fooker does it again he's falling over my foot., by accident of course.

In principle I have no issues with cyclists, and as a trucker who understands the vulnerability of 2-wheelers I always, always give them plenty of space (especially if it holds up the whitevanman/4x4/wannaberacer that's been tailgating me & twitching left n right for the last mile or two.

However, during the last week or so the numbers if cyclists has been growing exponentially and the majority are over 50's wobbling along at barely more than walking speed. Given that in a truck I need to wait for a good long length of clear road to safely overtake it's starting to pi55 me off a bit. Yesterday between Bristol and Melksham I encountered 37 of them along A and B roads.

Oh, and while I'm in rant mode, why are town roads so busy now? Most places are just as congested as they were 3 or 4 weeks ago.

And while the motorways are largely empty, why were there 5 speed camera vans over the M5 yesterday between Worcester and Bristol?

Makes no sense to me.

Fortunately we are allowed recreational bicycle- as well as motorbike ride outs.

On an individual basis...

Fresh air and exercise are crucial for seniors in order to stay fit, healthy and sane, and to keep us out of the doctors office...

So the Mrs. and I occasionally go for a little tour on our bicycles, taking sandwiches and coffee (in a thermos) with us after our 'morning walk'.

Since the place where we normally have lunch or just a coffee is closed now, we sit ouselves down at the 'picknick table' outside, and picknick.

Like in the 'old days', very oldskool !

Picknick.jpg.e706a195e45d2c643970128c649076db.jpg

And maybe it is not really as beneficial as cycling, but since it is allowed, and it is good for our mental biker-health, we go for little bike rides as well.

Not very often, and NOT in weekends, but on quiet week days only.

And a tour along the river dykes makes us feel biker again...

We happy !

Waaldijk-1.jpg.3e2707ab5d5821184e4074e8432725c9.jpg

Waaldijk-2.jpg.214dcd0659906b5fe0961f5cde32fbbb.jpg

Now, I know that cycling in NL is quite a different story than in the UK (or any other European country).

And though there are these maladjusted 'lycra gangs' overhere as well, 99 % of the cyclists are just civilians who use the bicycle for (daily) transport.

Plus, overhere there is no 'us' and 'them'.

Almost every car owner has a bicycle (and sometimes a few) and uses it regularly to get around locally, for recreation and exercise, or to commute.

Now a Brit called Chris Boardman (who doesn't know him ?), made a Video - not even 5 minutes -, comparing cycling in Holland and Britain.

I dare you, UK citizens, to shove your prejudice aside, and watch the Video (all the way to the end) and LEARN ! :mrgreen:

Edited by old-timer

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwi-vIHJ2d3oAhVrDGMBHZLmBv4QxfQBMAB6BAgKEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhdh.com%2Fcoronavirus%2F3d-simulation-shows-how-a-single-cough-can-spread-coronavirus-through-a-grocery-store%2F&usg=AOvVaw3DRIHfxb1QvXrnax4eCtVg

This is 3 d simulation how can covid spread through the air

There are some others that claim 2 meters distance is minimum wile people are stationary.

For runners is greater up to 5

For cyclists is 10 meters

Flipping heck

20200407_232336.thumb.jpg.2c8478bfcb564ebcf7b2e9eecc571f03.jpg

Has anyone actually got some current statistics on the number of cyclists who end up in A&E as a percentage of total admissions? It surely can't be much, and with the huge reduction in motor vehicles on the road at the moment there is probably no safer time to get out there.

I'd be interested to see if castigating cyclists for burdening the NHS is actually supported by any hard evidence. Not interested enough to bother finding out for myself, obviously: I've got a mug of tea and a packet of ginger biscuits that require my attention...

Has anyone actually got some current statistics on the number of cyclists who end up in A&E as a percentage of total admissions? It surely can't be much, and with the huge reduction in motor vehicles on the road at the moment there is probably no safer time to get out there.

I'd be interested to see if castigating cyclists for burdening the NHS is actually supported by any hard evidence. Not interested enough to bother finding out for myself, obviously: I've got a mug of tea and a packet of ginger biscuits that require my attention...

no better time to get on a motorbike ...

Ha! Mine's been in the local bike shop showroom waiting to be sold since just before this all kicked off. They're closed, so I can't even go and get the bloody thing back! :crybaby:

We dont need data, we're all scientists now 😉

In principle I have no issues with cyclists, and as a trucker who understands the vulnerability of 2-wheelers I always, always give them plenty of space (especially if it holds up the whitevanman/4x4/wannaberacer that's been tailgating me & twitching left n right for the last mile or two.

However, during the last week or so the numbers if cyclists has been growing exponentially and the majority are over 50's wobbling along at barely more than walking speed. Given that in a truck I need to wait for a good long length of clear road to safely overtake it's starting to pi55 me off a bit. Yesterday between Bristol and Melksham I encountered 37 of them along A and B roads.

Oh, and while I'm in rant mode, why are town roads so busy now? Most places are just as congested as they were 3 or 4 weeks ago.

And while the motorways are largely empty, why were there 5 speed camera vans over the M5 yesterday between Worcester and Bristol?

Makes no sense to me.

Were the camera vans checking speeds or doing number plate recognition to track people doing uncessary journeys.?

Dr hillary (some TV doctor bloke) was in attendance at what he described as a nasty accident with a bike in London at beginning of week said it involved all of the emergency services, no idea if it was work or exercise/pleasure related he was just wanting everyone that could to stay in and off the roads.

I just been to do my sat shop a day early due to food and beer shortage, and there running straight through the red light, six lycra clad fuckwits, unless they all live in a gay commune there is no way they are from same household.

Standard formation 2 abreast, up each others rear wheels doing 35ish in a 20, and cyclists wonder why they get a bad rep.

Why choose ? You can do both. I do. Only not at the same time... :mrgreen: