What causes reduction in power.

James in Brum

Hi gang,

My ZZR600 seems less powerful than it used to be. It doesn’t pull as well as it used to, sometimes a twist of the wrist does nothing (like when you are in the wrong gear in a car) even though I am at a few thousand revs.

What can I do to work out what it is? What is the process, check a first then b etc.

I changed the air filter a little while ago and don’t know if this coincided with power loss but I guess reduced air would do it?

What else?

Thanks in advance forum buddies.

Guest Richzx6r

Could be a number of things.....blockage in the air intake, slightly blocked jets, deteriorating coils, slightly weak reg/rec, valve adjustment slightly off, throttle cables not adjusted correctly.

So as I said it could be one or a number of things

Hi.

Just a long shot here. I'm only on a 2019 Yamaha YZFR 125 but I sometimes get that feeling when I'm out on the bike, that some of the poke has gone missing. Sometimes I think it's just inside me head.

I sus out a Shell garage and run a full tank of Shell V Power through her and it does make a noticeable difference.

It might not help, but hope you find the right solution.

Regards. Granty.

I started out on a ZZR600. It also started to feel under-powered, so I got rid of it and bought a ZZR1200, which cured the problem immediately. :thumb:

There is a great deal of truth in that , if you use the same bike a every day like James does it is easy to become jaded about the performance .

Strangely enough nobody has mentioned getting the bike shimmed and balanced . Balancing I can help you with when the plague has passed . Inspecting and shimming the valves I can do but it isn't a one day job if shims have to be ordered . It's also a job frought with pitfalls if some incompetent or heavy handed mechanics have been in there before . I'm thinking in particular about cam shaft journal bolts , something always goes wrong .

Thanks for the advice all. I could not justify a bigger bike...

... yet/at the moment although I must confess I have been looking at zzr1100s on Fleabay :-)

I think this is a reduction in performance possibly as well as getting to be more tolerant of the ‘woosh’ feeling.

[mention]fastbob[/mention] i would welcome some time tinkering with my bike with you once the plague has gone.

Thanks for the advice all. I could not justify a bigger bike...

... yet/at the moment although I must confess I have been looking at zzr1100s on Fleabay :-)

I think this is a reduction in performance possibly as well as getting to be more tolerant of the ‘woosh’ feeling.

@fastbob i would welcome some time tinkering with my bike with you once the plague has gone.

If you've still got the 125 , ride that for a week and then see how the ZZR feels . 👍

Guest Richzx6r

Strangely enough nobody has mentioned getting the bike shimmed and balanced . Balancing I can help you with when the plague has passed . Inspecting and shimming the valves I can do but it isn't a one day job if shims have to be ordered . It's also a job frought with pitfalls if some incompetent or heavy handed mechanics have been in there before . I'm thinking in particular about cam shaft journal bolts , something always goes wrong .

I did say about valve clearances

My apologies , missed that bit . 👍

Guest Richzx6r

My apologies , missed that bit . 👍

I'll let you off this time, I know your getting on abit and with failing eyes :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gang. The problem seems to have resolved a bit. I need to check more on the way to work on Monday.

Only thing different is I have lost some oil from a leak. Could too much oil have affected the power?

Not unless it had an extra few litres and the crankshaft was hitting the oil . It would have spat it out of the breather if it was really excessive . Did you get your brakes sorted ?