Dropped my bike :(

Esoteric

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum and biking in general. Been biking for a few months but haven't got much time in yet due to work.

Anyway, to the point, not so long ago my bike fell over., it scratched the exhaust very slightly (nothing major) and the fairing (again just scratching nothing significant. However, oil has been leaking out of the bottom of the bike. It's leaking quite slowly and is coming out of the engine near the 'sump' I've been told by a kind neighbour. It is covering the nuts/bolts at the bottom and some of the lower piping as well as the stands. Any suggestions on what it might be or how I can investigate it?

No where is open to take it for repair. My neighbour is quite experienced with bikes and has offered to give me a hand with the actual repair once I've figured out what it is and got the part I need.

I'm using my car at the moment due to the problem and my lack of spare time (work in healthcare and right now it's nuts)

Thank you all in advanced for all of your help

I would remove the fairing and wipe the whole engine down so it's completely clean and free of any trace of oil . Then you will be able to identify exactly where it's originating . Bear in mind that oil is very clingy and will run along the underside of surfaces so the place that it is dripping from might not be the place that it is coming from . If it were me , I would start the bike and let it run for a while so that the oil is redistributed to where it's supposed to be . And please can you tell us what bike it is and which way it fell .

Guest Richzx6r

is that rust or is it oil drooling out of your sump plug :?:

Looks like a spot of rust top tight of the bold and wet oil on the underside of the bolt head? :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

I'd put a guess on its dribbled down from maybe the oil filler cap doesn't look like the sump plug is actually leaking as there doesn't look to be too much residual oil around the seam of the plug

Two pieces of advice

1. Check this bolt for tightness

2066286174_20200411_1945413.thumb.jpg.8336e1a7325890dbde055b5562670de8.jpg

DO NOT GO MAD ON IT !!!! IT ONLY NEEDS TO BE TIGHT ie hand tight then spanner tight ( you begin to feel the resistance and a weeny bit more )

Wipe clean the area and keep an eye on it .

This is unlikely to have been as a result of yhe bike going over unless the base of the engine struck something ie lamp post / kerb

2.investigate this clean silver line as it may be a crack in the casing

834591379_20200411_1945412.thumb.jpg.172693df59754957ebe9ce2c0954bddf.jpg

There may be a historic leak as looking at the picture one side of engine is bone dry but other seems stained/wet

208546653_20200411_1945414.thumb.jpg.d82a9837d6716d15f3d6e330ea888d97.jpg

As above highly unlikely falling over caused it, you don't want oil on rear tyre, follow above, clean off, check bolt, check oil level, keep an eye on it see where its spreading from, oil tends to spread rearward and downward from a leak.

I reckon a little bit of oil has come out of the breather and has dribbled down to the sump plug which is at the lowest point on the engine. Here you go . The crankcase breather will usually be plugged into the air box so have a poke around in there and to will probably find a bit of oil lurking around .

Polish_20200411_224730064.thumb.png.3467af49e9b88ceb24deec78afe10ffe.png

:stupid: Completely agree with this assessment.

And as he has a Harley he is very experienced in oil leaks :mrgreen:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to point them out to me .

Polish_20200411_231005474.thumb.jpg.59de5fe7caa7dae27ba873723fe2d7eb.jpg

Two pieces of advice

1. Check this bolt for tightness

20200411_194541~3.jpg

DO NOT GO MAD ON IT !!!! IT ONLY NEEDS TO BE TIGHT ie hand tight then spanner tight ( you begin to feel the resistance and a weeny bit more )

Wipe clean the area and keep an eye on it .

This is unlikely to have been as a result of yhe bike going over unless the base of the engine struck something ie lamp post / kerb

2.investigate this clean silver line as it may be a crack in the casing

20200411_194541~2.jpg

There may be a historic leak as looking at the picture one side of engine is bone dry but other seems stained/wet

20200411_194541~4.jpg

Wow thank you for this detailed advice. I'll give it all a hose/hand clean, take some new pictures for comparison and try to have a look around.

Like I said I have no experience at all with this so thank you for going into so much detail and showing me on the pictures. I bought this from a dealership and came into problems a couple of months later (the tyres had some weird gel squirted into them to cover up punctures) but I've not had the bike fully checked over... seems it was a mistake to trust the dealer (though they did have good rep).

If the casing is cracked, what should I do in the meantime? I not sure if my neighbour will be willing or able to help me with a repair so significant and nowhere around here is open due to the quarantine. Is it just a case of topping up the oil and starting the engine every couple of days to get things moving around?

Once I've cleaning and investigated a bit more I'll post the new pictures up here (might take a few days though)

Thank you all again!

I reckon a little bit of oil has come out of the breather and has dribbled down to the sump plug which is at the lowest point on the engine. Here you go . The crankcase breather will usually be plugged into the air box so have a poke around in there and to will probably find a bit of oil lurking around .

Thank you, I'll take a look at this before and after I clean the bike and see if I can spot anything.

What would the best course of action be if this is the problem? Is it an easy fix? Or am I gonna die trying😂

Thank you, I'll take a look at this before and after I clean the bike and see if I can spot anything.

What would the best course of action be if this is the problem? Is it an easy fix? Or am I gonna die trying😂

There probably isn't any problem .

There probably isn't any problem .

👍 The joys of Honda ownership. Good luck, sure it's probably nothing to worry about once you've cleaned it up and checked your oil level

Guest Richzx6r

:stupid: Completely agree with this assessment.

And as he has a Harley he is very experienced in oil leaks :mrgreen:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to point them out to me .

Its that bad its sprayed the wall by the left handlebar :mrgreen: