Hard to start

rightstuff

honda cb600f 2 2002 903 miles drained out tank changed plugs removed carbs cleaned out main and slow RUNNING jet checked all floats looks a complicated block of carbs re fitted also fitted a new petcock and filter changed oil and filter when I do eventually get it started it runs fine ticks over nice revs up to max perfectly if I leave it till next day will fire up but then cuts out after a few seconds and will not start convinced problem is with carb am I missing anything is it worth me taking carbs off and having another go or leave it to honda to sort out is it worth getting carbs sonic cleaned could they do that as a block or would they have to be stripped right down any one know of a reliable place to do that in essex

IMHO definitely worth sonic clean but can I suggest before you go to that expense I have had good results from immersion in a 50 50 mix of Coca Cola and diesel.

Please don't laugh and remember to thoroughly flush with petrol afterwards but you would be amazed at the crud this mix can shift after a couple of days.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

If it has a manual petrol tap try setting it to prime . If the problem goes away then it's either a stuck diaphragm or a kinked vacuum hose . 18 years old and 902 miles . This thing has been doing a lot of standing around . Where did you find it ?

Bought it off of my wife's bosses daughter her husband bought it new only used it a few times then passed away with cancer was in her garage ever since its like it just come out the showroom no problem with fuel line put a clear in line filter in the hose plenty of fuel coke and diesel seems strange but i might try is sonic cleaning worth it or is it hype is it expensive and who does it thanks Alan

Bought it off of my wife's bosses daughter her husband bought it new only used it a few times then passed away with cancer was in her garage ever since its like it just come out the showroom no problem with fuel line put a clear in line filter in the hose plenty of fuel coke and diesel seems strange but i might try is sonic cleaning worth it or is it hype is it expensive and who does it thanks Alan

I was with you right up to the " Coke and diesel " bit . 🤔

i know a mechanic mate of mine sometimes soakes carbs in coke to clean them (have you ever seen what coke does to loose change :?: ) makes you wonder what it does to your insides when you drink it :shock:

I saw a video once of Coke being used to clean out an EGR valve and it worked so I can believe it will do the trick. Theres just something about introducing sugary water to engine parts I don't like :lol:

i know a mechanic mate of mine sometimes soakes carbs in coke to clean them (have you ever seen what coke does to loose change :?: ) makes you wonder what it does to your insides when you drink it :shock:

Ah ok , Coca cola . Good for cleaning aluminium but not so good for clearing obstructions from jets and airways . The active ingredient is Phosphoric Acid which is not kind to teeth . I should know, I've just had all mine rebuilt and my dentist told me that most of the damage was caused by my liking for Diet Coke .

I saw a video once of Coke being used to clean out an EGR valve and it worked so I can believe it will do the trick. Theres just something about introducing sugary water to engine parts I don't like :lol:

use diet coke

took the carbs off this morning stripped down cleaned the jets out let the carbs and jets soak for a couple of hours washed out again in brake cleaner put back together again started on the button will let it cool down this afternoon if all is well wipe stick the tank back on didn't have any coke so used Pepsi max I think the max did it got to have a beer now as out of Pepsi what a shame