What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

@Stu

I have just spent far too long looking at the strange tool circled. Thinking it was some kind of 1 handled piston extractor but not quite sure how it would work. Then I realised what I was looking at........I'm going back to bed :oops:

IMG_20200411_141920.jpg

How much did you drink last night :lol:

Another wee update :)

I'm getting there ;)

Considering that I'm using a 24lt 2.5hp compressor that I got from Screwfix for under £100 and a air gun that cost £10 new I would say that is not a bad job 8-)

Adding to it, the last spraying job I did with this kind of paint was back in 1984 when I was asked to spray 5 tanks and 8 amphibious vehicles from the army :D

Tomorrow will be starting the clear coats. :cheers:

May I ask what your setup is for spraying? Links to tools would be good if you can

Cleaned off the spiders webs and crap from my soft panniers and fitted my new (to me) Bagster small tankbag.

I have some weekend trips in mind later in the year.

Cheers

Ian

Cleaned what appeared to be 16 years worth of embedded black filth from the sand-cast textured spokes of my front wheel . I used a can of foaming Wheel Cleaner and a brass wire brush to scrub all four sides of each of 13 spokes . It took most of the afternoon but I'm very pleased with the results . I couldn't help remembering though that my GSXR had six spokes on the entire bike !

Opened the garage to plug the battery minder in on the mighty Speedtriple, only to discover that I’d already done it ☹️

Guest Swagman

Opened the garage to plug the battery minder in on the mighty Speedtriple, only to discover that I’d already done it ☹️

Now there’s a coincidence I opened the shed to connect the minder as I forgot to do it :D :D :D .

May I ask what your setup is for spraying? Links to tools would be good if you can

Hi,

the tools are:

Air compressor - Stanley 24lt by screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8216035scr011-24ltr-electric-compressor-with-5-piece-accessory-kit-240v/48089

- Air gun, the one in the compressor kit for clear acrylic and the new (£10) one for the primer and red paint.

The guns are very similar the only difference are the air flow control which is pretty much useless :)

- measuring cups, should have got more than 2, at least 5 or more so you don't mix the paints

- A very useful tool, the tin opener used by the shops, this allows you also to mix the paint with hardener and tinners

- scrub pad

- plenty of microfiber cloths, ideally 4 of them

- latex gloves, I've used over 20 pairs. Fortunately I had a 100 pack in the garage

- breathing mask. This is an imperative.

-

Materials used:

- Plastic primer 1 spray can

- Plastic filler 1 250gr tin

- Gray primer (this is combined with the final colour) 1 lt

- Red paint (I've used Mazda red because the Honda type is £50 more expensive and the difference is minimal) 1lt

- 5lt general purpose tinner for diluting primer and washing tools

- hardeners and special tinner for red paint

- masking tape (I got the wider one)

- plenty of newspaper for covering parts you don't want to paint.

For this type of job I would advise a larger compressor, 24lt is far too little for the amount of work to be done and you will have the compressor working all the time.

A mistake I've done is not having bought an air trap. You really need it, had a few drops falling on the paint. Even if you drain the compressor regularly you still need it.

compressor.thumb.jpg.6f6848672e7747948dfdce38d3465a23.jpg

Wee stanley 24lt compressor

1787410499_spraygun.thumb.jpg.975ae96aa864b4b162519f56e53add38.jpg

gun on left used for clear coats, one on right for primer and red paint

topbox.thumb.jpg.29b1fa20f8be39f11557bdaf87b46c0f.jpg

Just buffing to be done in next few days

643635261_sidefairing.thumb.jpg.be9aea1f5c727867257a1024e412f120.jpg

Same as topbox, need final polishing

bbq.thumb.jpg.db81e69bd7049808352cc004dbcdea09.jpg

Bbq break :P

Treated the GSXR to a set of BST Carbon Fibre wheels. Should arrive by the end of this week. Found a good deal, and I always wanted a litre bike with a set of these on, so really quite excited! :cheers:

s-l1600.jpg

Gave Xena a good cleaning, only used some speed polish and a rag but went round everything, wheels and spokes all the chrome all the paint, took care of a couple of hours :lol: :thumb: