brake pad wear limit

Pbassred

According to my Haynes manual, the minimum pad thickness is front 3.5 and rear 5mm. I just want to confirm that is the thickness of brake material remaining on the pad? It seems like a lot. How thick are new ones?

5 mm in the case of these ER5 ones that I just happened to have lying around . The groove indicates the wear limit which looks to be about 2 mm .

IMG_20200413_193341852.thumb.jpg.a897f399b3a3cc8fa836c6b2e4eb0297.jpg

That's a lot of wasted brake pad. If you check em regularly you can go down to 1 or 2 mm.

This is good advice !

AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE ADVICE AND CHECK REGULARLY !!!

If you are relaxed about it at the very least you will be buying new discs, at worst I hope you had a good turnout.

Cheers

Ian

That's a lot of wasted brake pad. If you check em regularly you can go down to 1 or 2 mm.

This is good advice !

AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE ADVICE AND CHECK REGULARLY !!!

If you are relaxed about it at the very least you will be buying new discs, at worst I hope you had a good turnout.

Cheers

Ian

You won't be getting any turnout at the moment .

However ... Remember they recommend that minimum requirement for a reason ...

Some pads are held in by pins going through the pads which won't fall out

But some are held in by other methods

And when material goes below minimum there is a risk that

A. Due to caliper slider rail design the pad may simply fall out and lodge beside the disk in the caliper ...This creates a huge stoppie effect on front wheel and a slidey moment on rear.

B. The pad may just simply fall out ...

C. The piston may not have enough travel to effectively work beyond a certain point and you then risk the piston dislodging dumping brake fluid everywhere and etc

Or B&C combined

However yes i have run pads to just before metal before but am aware of the characteristics of the calipers at the time ....

Hi [mention]Pbassred[/mention] , The 3.5m/m and 5m/m thickness in manual refer to Brake Disc Thickness, not the Brake Pad thickness, as everyone else said should be able to run to 1 - 2 m/m easily on pads.

Anyone who has sold brake pads will know that not everything is as straightforward as you may imagine . Look at these beauties.

Polish_20200415_182722239.png.295713e13351386cdfdb9de8fd1f36a3.png

Ok I might buy them now cos they're cheap.

Does anyone here grease the back of the pads? In all the cars I've owned I have never greased them. Never heard of a garage do it either. If so what do you use?

I put a bit of copper grease on the back of the pads, I also put a little on the threads of the pin that goes through the pads as I once had a completely seized pin that needed drilling out :shock: