JYeates

honnington 2.jpg

I didn't suggest this one lol.

Cheers

Ian

I'll ride it :mrgreen:

Join the queue !

2M Spacing mind you.

Going back to the OP`s dilemma I bought a Honda XBR500 brand new back in 86 and while I was still living in London I drove that little thing like a hooligan everywhere and had lots of fun.

To the extent I still look out for a reasonably priced one even now.

It aint about how much power you have got its about how you use it.

Cheers

Ian

New Busa 1.jpg

I could be accused of being biased but she does everything including mile munching and making some sportsbikes look a bit sluggish.

LOL.

Cheers

Ian

I really want to get a ride on one to see if I'd get on with it

I found it to be a really comfortable easy bike to ride and great for a short fat lad. I'm quite confident it's pretty quick too but I wasnt brave enough to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Run a Google search for sports tourer bikes.

These generally come with full fairings (good for wind protection for you and dirt/grime protection for the bike), more comfort and they are not as "aggressive" as an out-and-out sports bike, but will still have a good amount of sportiness, ability in corners and grunt. Depending on the model, they generally are a balance of sports looks and riding feel, comfort, reliabilty and touring ability.

A 600cc should be enough but some come with de-tuned 750cc engines which would be approximately the same. 1000cc would be too much I think and not necessary.

I like Hondas so a CBR600F or VFR750/800 would be my initial choices, but there are plenty of equivalents from other brands.

I passed my test Sept 2019. I purchased a Yamaha MT125 to practice on.. sold it on as soon as I passed. Great bike for a learner, looks smart too.

I test rode a Street Triple RS.. and its a truly wonderful bike. But the lack of a fairing just made it difficult on fast dual carriageways, espescially if you are carrying some speed. Around 80% of my riding is on fast A roads, so a naked bike is useless for me (even though I admit they are a giggle on a B road!).

I bought a 2019 Honda CBR650R in the end. Great for getting some experience, and fast enough for now. Cheap insurance too.

My advice.. whittle it down to a few bikes you like, then go test ride them.

Hoping to actually get to use the damn thing once the lockdown lifts, for now its just a garage ornament sadly.

20200307_205508.thumb.jpg.2b2ddcc6152f481553bb5b411d7cf4ec.jpg

Thoughts for you..

Wind on smaller lighter bike is more challenging regardless of fairing..

A naked bike is cold in anything less than Clement weather,

Sports bikes are great fun but can be tiring in long day,

A fully faired tourer or adventure bike is heavy to push solo,

2 bikes to consider from me cheap option TDM900 good MPG not that fast but fun on Twisties good sitting position for long days, some weather protection.

Expensive option Tracer 900 as above but faster and lower MPG.

Plenty others out there, there is no wrong choice... Some bikers change bikes like women change shoes...

Guest Richzx6r

Thoughts for you..

2 bikes to consider from me cheap option TDM900 good MPG not that fast but fun on Twisties good sitting position for long days, some weather protection.

Plenty others out there, there is no wrong choice... Some bikers change bikes like women change shoes...

And who do we know who is of that belief......[mention]XTreme[/mention]

Thoughts for you..

And who do we know who is of that belief......@XTreme

There is only one correct choice !

The bike/ bikes you have now plus one.

In my case the ZRX the Busa and I keep looking at supamotos !

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Thoughts for you..

Cheers

Ian

How comfortable is the zrx for longish distance riding?

Cheers

Ian

Depends on your right wrist !

The bike is fine for long distance as long as you either fit a flip up screen if you are over 6ft like me or you stay below 100kmh (c0ugh) as a cruising speed.

I have done approx. 400 miles in one day Bedford to Dorchester and back in the day with no problem and not slow either lol.

I like the riding position and the reassurance of a planted large bike.

Done the same 400 odd mile round trip on the Busa and my knees were a little cramped but my neck was better.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Got to say for journeys under 100 miles and playing the hooligan I think the Rex is ideal lol !!

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers

Ian

The bike is fine for long distance as long as you either fit a flip up screen if you are over 6ft like me or you stay below 100kmh (c0ugh) as a cruising speed.

I have done approx. 400 miles in one day Bedford to Dorchester and back in the day with no problem and not slow either lol.

Done the same 400 odd mile round trip on the Busa and my knees were a little cramped but my neck was better.

Got to say for journeys under 100 miles and playing the hooligan I think the Rex is ideal lol !!

Cheers

Ian

Its just the missus has said she doesn't mind the look of the zrx1200, I take it for a short arse (5'10) wont be cramped on the bike, also it looks like you have had your seat scooped out?

Cheers

Ian

Its just the missus has said she doesn't mind the look of the zrx1200, I take it for a short arse (5'10) wont be cramped on the bike, also it looks like you have had your seat scooped out?

I am using an aftermarket seat but the original is fine as well.

I have had mine 16 years from new and I love it solo or 2 up.

It seems to get more positive reactions than some of the modern retros and seems to be going up in value so whats not to like?

Oh and a decent owners network who do take the trouble to meet !

Great fun at Santa Pod as well the sportsbike blokes don't like us lol.

Cheers

Ian

Please be aware I may be a little biased !

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers

Ian

I am using an aftermarket seat but the original is fine as well.

I have had mine 16 years from new and I love it solo or 2 up.

It seems to get more positive reactions than some of the modern retros and seems to be going up in value so whats not to like?

Oh and a decent owners network who do take the trouble to meet !

Great fun at Santa Pod as well the sportsbike blokes don't like us lol.

Cheers

Ian

Please be aware I may be a little biased !

I do like the look of them, and I too have noticed that the prices seem to be on the up somewhat, will add it to the list of bikes to test ride once lockdown is finished