Why people visit Portugal

husoi

Was just today thinking about the time me and 'ar lass went to Portugal the first time, somewhere on the south coast. Larvely time, then went to Porto, again, laaarvely time and I fancy a bit of port now :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm we must have gone to a different Portugal, found it fooking expensive with a huge drug problem.

I'm sure that wasn't Portugal.

The drug problem is as bad as any other country in Europe.

Expensive? You can get a 3 course meal for £12-£15 if that is expensive I would like to know where you go to eat...

• Like 1

Def Portugal, went with kids, had to hire a car so we could go to one of the cheap supermarkets, car paid for its self by end of holiday

We were somewhere near Açoteias in algarve.

Right, Acoteias is in Algarve. The part of the country we send the tourist to take their money :P

Lisbon or Porto is far cheaper and friendly, I went to Lisbon last July and the most I paid for a meal was €20 in a fancy restaurant.

Lots of places where you can eat very well under €10

And where your kids get to watch prostitutes getting beat up, I'm sure there are some nice places, but it was enough to put us off from a return we did do some drives out into the country and found no difference in prices and some of the most miserable servers we have come across, just like Spain.

And where your kids get to watch prostitutes getting beat up, I'm sure there are some nice places, but it was enough to put us off from a return we did do some drives out into the country and found no difference in prices and some of the most miserable servers we have come across, just like Spain.

Well...

Comparing us to Spanish...

That says everything about you and your attitude.

Same with any country I suppose. I can only imagine what tourists over here would think after visiting Bradford :lol:

I had a crap experience with Rome. Straight off the termini to be confronted with a prostitute taking a piss behind a car and 30 seconds later watching a drug deal happen on the pavement in front of me :roll:

The historic buildings and monuments were nice though :thumb:

My bosses mother owns an apartment in Portugal (not sure where) and every year their whole family spend a couple of weeks each on holiday there.

The Daughter at the time was engaged to a Spanish guy who went with her pretty much against his will as he knew exactly what was in store for him :mrgreen:

Well...

That says everything about you and your attitude.

It says nothing about me.

Comparing servers from one country to another. If they are miserable that's what they are, try Sri Lanka, some of the friendliest helpful people on the planet.

We always tip so before you use that card don't bother, the world is huge and we manage to travel the rest of it just fine, hey if its your country that's fine, it's just not one we would return to in a hurry if at all.

Edited by Bender

One of my best friends moved to a little village near Arganil in the middle of the country away from too many tourists.

Been 3 times now fantastic place with really good food and friendly locals (especially if you make the effort to try and communicate in Portugese).

Definitely one to visit again even though my good friend no longer with us I am grateful he found this area as I will return.

Cheers

Ian

• 10 months later...

This really makes me proud of being Portuguese.

Not only we are friendly, regardless of what some may (and surely will) say.

We have many very beautiful places to visit.

Add that to good food, excellent wine (or beer) and second to none patisserie/deserts

European best destinations 2021

With presence in almost all categories. Ok we suck at skiing places :) 

Some of them Portugal is represented by up to 5 or 7 (lost count) different places.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/best-of-europe/best-dolphins-and-whales-destinations-in-europe/

https://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/top/best-amazing-monuments-in-europe/

I know it wouldn't be everybody's cuppa however still makes me immensely proud of my country and my people.

Edited by husoi