Tyres

Ericc1995

Hi all,

I am due a tyre change on my rf900, i have roadtec 01's on my fzr1000 that is being rebuilt (hopefully they dont perish in storage) and i uave them on the rf also as i really like the tyre.

Would there be any benefit to switching to the road 5's? Has anyone had both that could confirm the Michelin is worth the extra £70-80 in this current climate?

P.s. when i bought both these bikes at separate times btw, they both were sporting maxxis supermaxx touring tyres which are by far the worst thing I've ever ridden on, rock solid rubber with no feel, hard to tip over in the corners and you take your life in your hands on the wet roads. Some people may have trouble putting their confidence into rubber but these rubbers had the ability to strip confidence and have you riding like a kid on on his cbt lol

Regards, Eric.

I had PR4s but I went back to PR3s because I didn't really need the " Rain Sips ". If you are unfortunate enough to get caught in the rain on a GSXR 1100 your riding goes to pot anyway so what's the point . I get the impression that the tyre industry along with the phone industry and any other industry has a need to continually invent " The best thing ever " as a way of maintaining their market share . The main advantage of PR5s is that they push down the price of PR4s . 😁

I had no idea you could buy the last iteration of these tyres, i thought it was just latest and the outgoing model was done producing? So i could try road 4s and theres not much in it between them and 5s.

they both were sporting maxxis supermaxx touring tyres which are by far the worst thing I've ever ridden on, rock solid rubber with no feel, hard to tip over in the corners and you take your life in your hands on the wet roads. Some people may have trouble putting their confidence into rubber but these rubbers had the ability to strip confidence and have you riding like a kid on on his cbt lol

I've got an M6029 Supermaxx on the front of the TRX and quite like it, plenty of grip and seems to be wearing well too. 33 PSI (as per the book) seems to work well, 36 is hard and chattery. Mind you, I quite liked the Nankang Roadiac WF1's it had too :scratch:

I had no idea you could buy the last iteration of these tyres, i thought it was just latest and the outgoing model was done producing? So i could try road 4s and theres not much in it between them and 5s.

You can buy 3s and 2s if you want . 😉

Screenshot_20200416-134419.thumb.png.46662450ea1a06a883d03aaf529e559b.png

they both were sporting maxxis supermaxx touring tyres which are by far the worst thing I've ever ridden on, rock solid rubber with no feel, hard to tip over in the corners and you take your life in your hands on the wet roads. Some people may have trouble putting their confidence into rubber but these rubbers had the ability to strip confidence and have you riding like a kid on on his cbt lol

I've got an M6029 Supermaxx on the front of the TRX and quite like it, plenty of grip and seems to be wearing well too. 33 PSI (as per the book) seems to work well, 36 is hard and chattery. Mind you, I quite liked the Nankang Roadiac WF1's it had too :scratch:

Maybe the age of the tyre affects the performance as they were old by the time i got the bikes.

All depends on how you ride and when (rain, cold).

As well placebo effect exist same as with drugs.

If you are looking for longevity definitely Michelis.

But Metzler and Pirelli angel are not bad solutions.

Of course depends how much you are ready to cash out for it.

Guest Swagman

Hi all,

I am due a tyre change on my rf900, i have roadtec 01's on my fzr1000 that is being rebuilt (hopefully they dont perish in storage) and i uave them on the rf also as i really like the tyre.

Would there be any benefit to switching to the road 5's? Has anyone had both that could confirm the Michelin is worth the extra £70-80 in this current climate?

P.s. when i bought both these bikes at separate times btw, they both were sporting maxxis supermaxx touring tyres which are by far the worst thing I've ever ridden on, rock solid rubber with no feel, hard to tip over in the corners and you take your life in your hands on the wet roads. Some people may have trouble putting their confidence into rubber but these rubbers had the ability to strip confidence and have you riding like a kid on on his cbt lol

Regards, Eric.

I’m running Maxxis st2 on two of my bikes no probs with them.

are maxxis tyres what used to be called shin sheng or something like that :roll:

Cheng Shin

Maxxis Tyres and CST tires are a wholly owned subsidiary of Cheng Shin. The company began as a producer of bicycle tyres and has since expanded into other types of tyres, including for motor vehicles. In 2015 Cheng Shin had worldwide revenue of over $3.85 billion.

Cheng Shin Rubber - Wikipedia

Chinese and therefore on my shitlist. My tyres are coming due for replacement and I'll probably go for OEM Pirelli Scorpions although I maybe tempted by Metzler Touratechs. I've got over 7000 miles from them so far but they are getting a bit squared off.

I'm looking at putting Avon storm 3d on my tracer this summer. I have standard Dunlop d222 sportmax rigged as standard and for the first 1000 miles they were ok in the wet and dry but very skittish in the damp. 5k in they are Ok now but I don't have 100% confidence in them. A few people with tracers recommended the Avon's and my dealer also stocks them as they are a popular fitment. Anyone else used them or considering them ?

I'm looking at putting Avon storm 3d on my tracer this summer. I have standard Dunlop d222 sportmax rigged as standard and for the first 1000 miles they were ok in the wet and dry but very skittish in the damp. 5k in they are Ok now but I don't have 100% confidence in them. A few people with tracers recommended the Avon's and my dealer also stocks them as they are a popular fitment. Anyone else used them or considering them ?

Mike, I have Avon Storm 3D on my bike, it came with them fitted and they are brilliant. I haven't had the bike long so can't really comment on how long they will last, but the wear so far over 1000+ miles seems perfectly fine. For me, the grip and confidence I get are outstanding. I've previously used Michelin pilot roads which were good but I rate the Avons much better. Also used Bridgestone Battlax for a long time and didn't like them, esp. in the rain.

I wouldn't have chosen Avon previously, just because you don't hear much about them in places like this, but I will definitely be putting another set on when it's new tyre time

And these are what's going on the Sportster . Snakes AND a Union Jack , what's not to like ? I can't go around corners and the bike automatically cuts out if it looks like rain so who cares ? If only there were any tyre fitters open .

Polish_20200418_083704588.thumb.png.8d389d2ee33e775587f6a647f5766073.png

Methinks, a slightly sarcastic tongue in cheek here? Look like good cruiser tyres. As said previously for mine I'm quite keen on sticking with the Pirelli Scorpions. They've been excellent in the wet and dry. The only time they've squirrelled on me is a little twitch on diesel on a roundabout and a slightly bigger one (almost a tank slapper) when I went into a bend a bit too hot and braked when I shouldn't have. :oops:

Chinese and therefore on my shitlist.

Maxxis tyres are made in Taiwan though.

I had an Avon AV56 on the back of the TRX and it was great in the dry but only lasted 4K. I've also had a Roadrider on the back of the K100 and thought it was utter crap but lots of people like them and I even saw some old boy racers at Coventry Motofest last year who had successfully melted theirs! Oh and also had a Streetrunner which was terrible.

I love a good tyre thread, what was the question again? :lol:

I put a set of Avon Storm 3D XM’s on my Versys around 6/700 miles ago.

I highly recommend them too. Can’t see any sign of wear, but it’s early days. They gave great feeling from the first ride and within 30 miles I was riding like they’d been on for months. They warm up quickly and inspire confidence.

I WAS a Michelin man having had a good few sets of PR 2’s.

Hopefully the rear will last more than 8000 miles. If it does I’m definitely sticking with these.

Mrs has PR4's on her CBR, which I've been out on a good few times now (used it to commute to and from work before lockdown during all that flooding). I have R5's on my bike.

Honestly, the 4's are great. I didn't notice anything in the wet that I would attribute to the tyres.

The 5's supposedly have better wet-grip when part worn, I think that's their main advantage. Hard to tell tbh, I haven't had to do an emergency stop on both in heavy rain. And even if I did, the CBR is a different bike, has ABS, is lowered and the suspension is set up for Mrs, not me. So I still wouldn't be able to do a fair comparison.

If you can get the 4's much cheaper, I'd go with them. If they're of similar price or you're not fussed about the money, go with the 5's.