Replacing brake calipers

onesea

My Triumph trophy rear brake caliper is poorly.

Parts to rebuild are upwards of £120

Seals pins and what not soon mounts up.

Plus the time to rebuild and the fact that even when tl rebuilt they are not great

I heard mention of a bolt on replacement that is a direct replacement. Sadly the group that talks about these no longer have a source for them.

Anyone know how I would go about sourcing this myself...

Buying a replacement you may well be in the same boat and need to rebuild it! you never know what you're buying second hand

I have never seen a caliper on a rear that's inadequate when working correctly they are usually overkill

I would go for the rebuild

Maybe I was not clear they where taking whole new calipers not just servicing.

Just remove old caliper and replace with new caliper complete... A price of less than £100 was mentioned. Compared with well over £100 for parts to rebuild...

Presently the pad securing pins are seized and rounded the pistons are rusted the pins the caliper "floats" on the look not like an ornate chair leg...

About the only good but is the caliper body maybe....

I have never seen a NEW caliper for less than £100 :? and if it is I would be very dubious

Think about it service parts along are £120 so how can you get a new caliper for less than £100 :?

I buy all my seals from those never had an issue

In fact as I was reading this post man came and delivered my seal kit for the front calipers which only cost £48

I have only seen the outside and rust on exposed pistons It's the oim original which is notoriously poor in function.

The guys who got the replacements reported being able to lock the back wheel.

Rather than just be able to stop the bike rolling backwards down a hill...

Which would be good because on my other bike the back brake on my TDM is rather sharp. If I have been on the Trophy I often lock up the back wheel on the TDM.

Riding companions have had a few scares as have pulled some dodgy manoeuvres...

• 1 month later...

I used these guys for rear brake caliper. When the front where binding as well and money tight. I rebuilt them myself.

My advise to self for next time, is not difficult to it yourself 😛