Heavy clutch pull

Ericc1995

Hi all,

My Suzuki rf900 clutch has become heavy, it's hydraulic. Could old fluid and air bubbles be the issue? As i dont fancy rebuilding cylinders just now while i am balls deep my fzr1000 project.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards, Eric.

Try fluid change first if not then it may well be time for a rebuild

Although as a general rule when its time for a fluid change you usually find it hard to get some gears or neutral

Although as a general rule when its time for a fluid change you usually find it hard to get some gears or neutral

The other day i did have a false gear selection between 2 and 3 but i was on quite hard tbf. Still startling when it happens though and then theres soul shattering moment where you have to force it back into gear.

The other day i did have a false gear selection between 2 and 3 but i was on quite hard tbf. Still startling when it happens though and then theres soul shattering moment where you have to force it back into gear.

Sounds like it may well have just missed the gear there to be honest

Yeah its always daunting when you have to knock it back in :shock:

the heaviest clutch i have pulled was on a zrx 400 wether the clutch needed adjusting maybe, what are they like on the bigger models :?:

There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

The newer bikes have cables as a weight saving exercise.

the heaviest clutch i have pulled was on a zrx 400 wether the clutch needed adjusting maybe, what are they like on the bigger models :?:

There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

Probably cost saving :)

Cost savings for the manufacturer only lol, these new superbikes are creeping up to 20k these days and the special models are well over 20.

I'll keep on buying second hand lol

Cost savings for the manufacturer only lol, these new superbikes are creeping up to 20k these days and the special models are well over 20.

Thats all it is! mass production is probably cheaper on cable operated than hydraulic! its all about the profits!

And you will see those prices rocket next year due to covid 19 :?

If it has become heavy , I would point the finger at the Slave Cylinder that lives down amongst the shit and filth and flung chain lube next to the front sprocket . Strip it out , pump the piston right out and check for dirt behind the seals then clean everything up and bleed the system . You might want to pop the circlip out of the master cylinder and pull the piston and seals out for an inspection as well . If these things have no effect then check the clutch outer basket for notches .

Guest Richzx6r

If it has become heavy , I would point the finger at the Slave Cylinder that lives down amongst the shit and filth and flung chain lube next to the front sprocket . Strip it out , pump the piston right out and check for dirt behind the seals then clean everything up and bleed the system . You might want to pop the circlip out of the master cylinder and pull the piston and seals out for an inspection as well . If these things have no effect then check the clutch outer basket for notches .

What he said :thumb:

yes me too and have been doing for a number of years now i cant see me getting a new bike again