Heavy clutch pull

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
Ericc1995
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:19 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha fzr1000 exup and Suzuki rf900
Location: Glasgow
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Heavy clutch pull

Post by Ericc1995 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi all,

My Suzuki rf900 clutch has become heavy, it's hydraulic. Could old fluid and air bubbles be the issue? As i dont fancy rebuilding cylinders just now while i am balls deep my fzr1000 project.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards, Eric.

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35203
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 3570 times
Been liked: 3128 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Try fluid change first if not then it may well be time for a rebuild

Although as a general rule when its time for a fluid change you usually find it hard to get some gears or neutral
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

skyrider
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Location: preston lancs
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 627 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by skyrider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm

the heaviest clutch i have pulled was on a zrx 400 wether the clutch needed adjusting maybe, what are they like on the bigger models :?:
Last edited by skyrider on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

Ericc1995
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:19 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha fzr1000 exup and Suzuki rf900
Location: Glasgow
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Ericc1995 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 pm
Try fluid change first if not then it may well be time for a rebuild

Although as a general rule when its time for a fluid change you usually find it hard to get some gears or neutral
The other day i did have a false gear selection between 2 and 3 but i was on quite hard tbf. Still startling when it happens though and then theres soul shattering moment where you have to force it back into gear.

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35203
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 3570 times
Been liked: 3128 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm
Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 pm
Try fluid change first if not then it may well be time for a rebuild

Although as a general rule when its time for a fluid change you usually find it hard to get some gears or neutral
The other day i did have a false gear selection between 2 and 3 but i was on quite hard tbf. Still startling when it happens though and then theres soul shattering moment where you have to force it back into gear.
Sounds like it may well have just missed the gear there to be honest

Yeah its always daunting when you have to knock it back in :shock:
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Ericc1995
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:19 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha fzr1000 exup and Suzuki rf900
Location: Glasgow
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Ericc1995 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm

skyrider wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm
the heaviest clutch i have pulled was on a zrx 400 wether the clutch needed adjusting maybe, what are they like on the bigger models :?:
There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

The newer bikes have cables as a weight saving exercise.

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35203
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 3570 times
Been liked: 3128 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm
skyrider wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm
the heaviest clutch i have pulled was on a zrx 400 wether the clutch needed adjusting maybe, what are they like on the bigger models :?:
There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

The newer bikes have cables as a weight saving exercise.
Probably cost saving :)
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Ericc1995
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:19 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha fzr1000 exup and Suzuki rf900
Location: Glasgow
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Ericc1995 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm
skyrider wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm
the heaviest clutch i have pulled was on a zrx 400 wether the clutch needed adjusting maybe, what are they like on the bigger models :?:
There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

The newer bikes have cables as a weight saving exercise.
Probably cost saving :)
Cost savings for the manufacturer only lol, these new superbikes are creeping up to 20k these days and the special models are well over 20.

I'll keep on buying second hand lol

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35203
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 3570 times
Been liked: 3128 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:54 pm
Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm


There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

The newer bikes have cables as a weight saving exercise.
Probably cost saving :)
Cost savings for the manufacturer only lol, these new superbikes are creeping up to 20k these days and the special models are well over 20.

I'll keep on buying second hand lol
Thats all it is! mass production is probably cheaper on cable operated than hydraulic! its all about the profits!

And you will see those prices rocket next year due to covid 19 :?
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

fastbob
Posts: 7168
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Location: Coventry
Has liked: 2873 times
Been liked: 3160 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by fastbob » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:57 pm

If it has become heavy , I would point the finger at the Slave Cylinder that lives down amongst the shit and filth and flung chain lube next to the front sprocket . Strip it out , pump the piston right out and check for dirt behind the seals then clean everything up and bleed the system . You might want to pop the circlip out of the master cylinder and pull the piston and seals out for an inspection as well . If these things have no effect then check the clutch outer basket for notches .

Richzx6r
Posts: 3409
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3120 times
Been liked: 1020 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by Richzx6r » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 pm

fastbob wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:57 pm
If it has become heavy , I would point the finger at the Slave Cylinder that lives down amongst the shit and filth and flung chain lube next to the front sprocket . Strip it out , pump the piston right out and check for dirt behind the seals then clean everything up and bleed the system . You might want to pop the circlip out of the master cylinder and pull the piston and seals out for an inspection as well . If these things have no effect then check the clutch outer basket for notches .
What he said :thumb:
Its better when its loaded

skyrider
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Location: preston lancs
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 627 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by skyrider » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:54 pm
Stu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Ericc1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm


There is no cable on most of the older big bikes so no need to adjust as the fluid takes up the slack so to speak, like on your car.

The newer bikes have cables as a weight saving exercise.
Probably cost saving :)
Cost savings for the manufacturer only lol, these new superbikes are creeping up to 20k these days and the special models are well over 20.

I'll keep on buying second hand lol
yes me too and have been doing for a number of years now i cant see me getting a new bike again
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

User avatar
fredc
Subscriber
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda VT500E
Location: glasgow
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by fredc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 pm

could be a pinched pipe or swollen hose reducing the flow

User avatar
megawatt
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Fazer 1000, GSX1100ET
Location: Hastings, East Sussex
Has liked: 617 times
Been liked: 505 times

Re: Heavy clutch pull

Post by megawatt » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:13 am

Could be notching on the clutch basket and backplate. Dismantle it and smooth out the notches with abrasive or a rotary wire brush.
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info
http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&p=949652

Return to “Pitstop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests