Rear wheel alignment - new tool test

jedibiker

Hey guys and girls. So with boredom kicking in, I thought I'd test the rear wheel alignment as MOT guy in Feb said it was off a little but not enough to worry. So with time on my hands bought the guide tool online I've seen used on youtube.

I'm sure I've used it correctly and to me it looks bang on, but would like experienced eyes to confirm, or if there's a rookie error when using such a tool.

Did try and measure the bolts to end of swing arm but couldn't seem to find accurate reference points as bolts are different each side.. and if i did that right it was 4mm off. But this tool looks accurte within a MM or so.

anyway, here are the images.

20200421_110140.thumb.jpg.a9fd5e36d5900bfd539694d7016aa537.jpg

20200421_110414.thumb.jpg.7594c183d14ecd4dc5911a399d030c8e.jpg

Looks good to me :thumb:

I always had good results with the string either side of the wheels method :)

I was tempted to do that, but it looked like there was margin for error if the front wheel moved a little etc? It was the first video I saw to be honest.

but yeah this looks ok to me, my worry was the bar wasn't straight but it seems to be. Not bad for £12

Looks good to me :thumb:

I always had good results with the string either side of the wheels method :)

I was tempted to do that, but it looked like there was margin for error if the front wheel moved a little etc? It was the first video I saw to be honest.

but yeah this looks ok to me, my worry was the bar wasn't straight but it seems to be. Not bad for £12

Yes there is margin for error but its pretty easy to get the wheel straight once you have the string set right and it does work

But for £12 I think I would go your option as it would be even quicker to set up

Yes there is margin for error but its pretty easy to get the wheel straight once you have the string set right and it does work

But for £12 I think I would go your option as it would be even quicker to set up

the string method looks good if you have space and decent string. I just thought id save time. Is there a safe tolerance it can be out?

the string method looks good if you have space and decent string. I just thought id save time. Is there a safe tolerance it can be out?

I have never known of a safe tolerance to be honest :?

No its what I thought, but at the mot, he said oh it's a few mm out but don't worry.. But I think he went by the markers on the swingarm, which I'm told isn't always accurate.

No its what I thought, but at the mot, he said oh it's a few mm out but don't worry.. But I think he went by the markers on the swingarm, which I'm told isn't always accurate.

Yeah some bikes are notorious for being out!

Every suzuki I have owned have always been spot on

I've found that the chain starts gripping the sprocket (which is noticable) before any serious handling issues arise anyway.

I use the string method too which has worked well but is a faff. I like the look of the tool though.

Am I being too thick?

That's for aligning the chain but little to do with the wheel alignment.

I'm not sure you can tell the wheel is aligned by the chain. I would think you need the wheel aligned with the frame and the front wheel.

Or maybe I'm just talking a load of rubbish...

Am I being too thick?

I'm not sure you can tell the wheel is aligned by the chain. I would think you need the wheel aligned with the frame and the front wheel.

The sprocket is lined up with the wheel and is all inline with the front sprocket if one is inline then so is the rest

Am I being too thick?

The sprocket is lined up with the wheel and is all inline with the front sprocket if one is inline then so is the rest

So sound like when I went to the MOT with the VFR a few years ago and the guy said I needed to replace the brake disks.

Following year I mentioned that to the guy from another garage and he said the brakes were perfect.

Some MOT garages are more like gold diggers than mechanics.

Am I being too thick?

the chain is a guide to show if the rear wheel is aligned with the rest of the bike. if the rear wheel is off the chain will run at an angle, causing wear etc, not daft at all mate.

Am I being too thick?

So sound like when I went to the MOT with the VFR a few years ago and the guy said I needed to replace the brake disks.

Following year I mentioned that to the guy from another garage and he said the brakes were perfect.

I had the same last MOT the guy advised on rear suspension bearings being worn and need to be replaced soon!

They was new bearings :roll:

I agree, although he didnt offer to correct it etc,, although he did fail it on number plate being 3mm too short on the bottom lol

Worth bearing in mind some kawasakis have an offset for the back wheel so the string method doesn't work without knowing the exact amount of offset.

therefore the bar and clamp or my preferred laser method ensure the chain is not worn harshly by a misaligned rear wheel/sprocket.

After all if the back sprocket is in line with the front sprocket the chain is looked after and provided you or your tyre fitter can install a wheel correctly you are good to go.

Cheers

Ian

Worth bearing in mind some kawasakis have an offset for the back wheel so the string method doesn't work without knowing the exact amount of offset.

therefore the bar and clamp or my preferred laser method ensure the chain is not worn harshly by a misaligned rear wheel/sprocket.

After all if the back sprocket is in line with the front sprocket the chain is looked after and provided you or your tyre fitter can install a wheel correctly you are good to go.

Cheers

Ian

How is that possible? that means the front and rear wheels aren't aligned :scratch:

Cheers

Ian

How is that possible? that means the front and rear wheels aren't aligned :scratch:

That is correct which is why it is more important they are pointing in the right direction.

When the ZRX1100 became the 1200 they wanted to fit a fashionable wider rear wheel so they offset the rear approx. 6mm.

Basically they offset the wheel to the disc side by 1/2 inch so they could leave the chain run as is.

As a result we tend to advise people to only recentre the wheel if they are changing the swing arm and they check the chain run.

It is probably not the only time this has happened.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

That is correct which is why it is more important they are pointing in the right direction.

When the ZRX1100 became the 1200 they wanted to fit a fashionable wider rear wheel so they offset the rear approx. 6mm.

Basically they offset the wheel to the disc side by 1/2 inch so they could leave the chain run as is.

As a result we tend to advise people to only recentre the wheel if they are changing the swing arm and they check the chain run.

It is probably not the only time this has happened.

Cheers

Ian

I have to be honest I have never known it :shock:

I hadn't come across it till 2007 when mine went for first MOT and inspector at local garage said my wheels were straight but misaligned so I went to a Kawasaki dealer who laughed and explained its a huge cost saving in terms of engineering, tooling and design and said he knew of other GPZ models where similar had happened.

When I joined the ZRX owners club I found it was common knowledge.

Took evidence back to local garage who grudgingly passed it.

Not been back since and current garage in Milton Keynes area (Independent) He knew as well lol.

Cheers

Ian