Close call!

Stu

Guest Richzx6r

I think a lot of riders would have failed to avoid that!

And I bet most of us have ridden like that too :shock:

Me.....never iv never actually gone above 40 mph in my life :angel12:

Guest Richzx6r

@Richzx6r Liar! :lol:

And did you miss a 1 from the start of that!

:o who me?? Noo I wouldn't do something like that.....well maybe 170ish :angel12:

You never know what you will or will not get away with !

2nd Sept 2018 I was following a beautifully restored 350Lc in a spirited fashion round some country roads and as we rounded a right handed bend we were confronted by a man in the middle of the road who looked up and decided to run for the left kerb.

350Lc collects the gentleman at about 50mph, I had to get between the guy and a Volvo approaching in the opposite direction.

Result 350 pilot retrieved from hedge (now a friend), old gut in the road dead at scene (transpires when I kept saying to the police and everyone at the scene why the fook didn't he hear us coming he wasn't wearing his hearing aid ).

Volvo driver was great very shaken but stopped to help.

At the end of it some 3 hours later I asked the accident investigation guy how did I get through that gap and he said your experience took over and that cant be predicted.

I promise you if you experience a near miss like that it doesn't leave you any time soon.

I would advise that if it or similar happens to you please ride the same road as soon as you can afterwards.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

You never know what you will or will not get away with !

2nd Sept 2018 I was following a beautifully restored 350Lc in a spirited fashion round some country roads and as we rounded a right handed bend we were confronted by a man in the middle of the road who looked up and decided to run for the left kerb.

350Lc collects the gentleman at about 50mph, I had to get between the guy and a Volvo approaching in the opposite direction.

Result 350 pilot retrieved from hedge (now a friend), old gut in the road dead at scene (transpires when I kept saying to the police and everyone at the scene why the fook didn't he hear us coming he wasn't wearing his hearing aid ).

Volvo driver was great very shaken but stopped to help.

At the end of it some 3 hours later I asked the accident investigation guy how did I get through that gap and he said your experience took over and that cant be predicted.

I promise you if you experience a near miss like that it doesn't leave you any time soon.

I would advise that if it or similar happens to you please ride the same road as soon as you can afterwards.

Cheers

Ian

Agree with that last bit, took me nearly a month to come round to the idea of going down the road I had my big accident on in 2003 but it does help the healing process I think unless the same thing happens again though that would be extremely unlikely

Biggest risk is looking at the obstacle and not the gap.

Not bike related but similar, when my first kid was still in kiddy car seat, a van came over brow of hill overtaking another car, I had to drive onto the path between wall and street light, all happened in blink of an eye, van turned out to be stolen, I'm sure if the other half been driving we would have just hit the van, I'm also sure had anyone been on the path I would have hit them.

I also ended up getting done for speeding and the stolen van driver got let off with a caution, justice has often been unjust.

Not bike related but similar, when my first kid was still in kiddy car seat, a van came over brow of hill overtaking another car, I had to drive onto the path between wall and street light, all happened in blink of an eye, van turned out to be stolen, I'm sure if the other half been driving we would have just hit the van, I'm also sure had anyone been on the path I would have hit them.

I also ended up getting done for speeding and the stolen van driver got let off with a caution, justice has often been unjust.

That is terrible to hear even if you were speeding surely overtaking like that by the van is reckless driving at the very least !

Cock!

Glad to hear you got yourself and your son out of the way.

Cheers

Ian

Is it just me that thinks his braking (forgetting the rest of his riding) was atrocious?

Almost looks like he barely touched the front and slammed on his rear. He was doing what 85~ when it came into view? I'd like to think with what were presumably warm tyres on dry roads he could have scrubbed off a lot more speed than he did. Good job looking at the gap and not the truck though!

-- edit --

Did bit of investigating/research.

So he had 4ish seconds from when he reacted to when he would have made contact...

According to this article: https://www.visordown.com/features/general/zero-100mph-zero

A GSXR k7 can stop from 100mph in 4.5 seconds, an old Thunderace with tired rubber hoses can do it 5.1 seconds.

But that's from 100, and as we know stopping times/distances get exponentially bigger the faster you're going.

I'd like to think with good braking skill he could have stopped or at least been doing <15mph by the time he got to the hazard. So much so that the first time I watched it my immediate thought when I saw the truck was, 'oops, but he should be able to stop in time'.

I get that he likely eased off the brakes and chose to avoid the hazard, a very wise decision... but he was still doing over 60mph by the time he got there, from a speed of about 85mph. He managed to shed what 25mph in 3-4 seconds? He needs to slow down and do some braking practice imo.

I guess it's possible he was 2 up or something... but if he was he's an even bigger idiot than I initially thought xD

That is terrible to hear even if you were speeding surely overtaking like that by the van is reckless driving at the very least !

Cock!

Glad to hear you got yourself and your son out of the way.

Cheers

Ian

I wasn't speeding when it happened, I gave chase and we both passed a police car I got done for 38 in a 30 on a stretch of dual carriageway, he let the van go and pulled me, admittedly you shouldn't go chasing vans with a kid in the car, but he ignored what I told him.

There was a police complaint, harassment from him, threats from him via phone, the police offered to drop the points if I dropped the complaint, or rather his mate from the traffic dept, I refused and added coercion to the list.

I took the points and kept up the complaint.

The van latter caused an actual crash, which could have been avoided had the prick got on his radio.

My son in law is a cop with just about every police driving course under his belt. However he tends to be very legal when driving especially in his VW Golf R. If he gets any kind of traffic conviction he can lose his rating if not his job. Consequently when he was stopped in North Yorkshire for driving without due care and attention he was a bit surprised. The cop who stopped him came on all heavy etc. My SiL is a quiet spoken sort of fellow so didn't get to mouthy but he's a big boy 6'4" in his socks. So he gets out of the car and mouthy cop starts getting shirty. SiL pulls out his warrant card and then asks if he'd care to review the in car recording of his driving? Mouthy cop shuts up, mutters something about why he didn't flash his card earlier and plods off. Thing is that the dick head is presumably doing the exact same thing to innocent drivers and f**k ing them up. Some bad apples give whole organisations a bad name.

[mention]S-Westerly[/mention]

Unfortunate fact of life, some twats in every occupation, I do however still defend the police as generally they are trying to do a good job and constantly dealing with the worst 5% of the population on a daily basis.

I have been know to buy the odd mcd or a coffee for any emergency service folk, you never know when you may need them.

I like to think I'd have made the gap! (not on the cruiser it wouldn't fit! :lol: )

Sue and I had a close one on The Fazer up north on 1 of our ride=outs/meets!

I still have no idea how I managed to stop without hitting anything :D

I had another 1, solo on The Blade, where I hit a big pile of cow-shit and completely lost control.

My closest call was completely my fault.

I was riding over Clee Hill in Shropshire, admiring the view & I missed the sudden stop of the cars in front (due to a dick head stamping on their brakes to make a junction they had missed, I was told this afterwards ), looking up I was convinced I was gonna have OVLOV printed on my head, hit the brakes, locked the front end which tucked, I stuck my right foot down & somehow kept it up and my left thigh slid down the side of the Volvo in front.

I pulled over for a breather & the Volvo driver got out.

I hobbled across to her ( my left thigh where I hit the car & my right knee where I put my foot down were killing ), turns out she was a district Nurse & was more concerned about my injuries.

Once I managed to lie / convince her that I was ok, she joked that she would have to clean the rest of her car to match the side I’d wiped.

Mind you Khama was achieved later in the day when the bike slipped off its side stand when I was taking a photo.