1982 GS650 GL vs 1980 CX500

Hi all

New user with a first time post so please be gentle!

I have decided to sink a lot of time and no doubt a lot of cash (overtime) into restoring and modifying a 70/80s bike. After a week of research I’ve seen a 1982 GS650 GL and a 1980 CX500 which look like possible purchase’s. I would ideally have a CB750 but the ones I have seen seem a bit toppy I want to stick to a budget of no more than £1500 for the initial bike (was going for no more than £1000 but it would appear I’m 10 years to late).

I would therefore be grateful if anyone could advise if they have worked on either of the above? Things I am looking for are; availability of original and upgraded parts, compatibility with after market parts, any known common issues, performance, community support etc.etc.

This is purely for the purpose of wanting to learn and to keep me busy with something cool to have at the end of it. Any advice would be much appreciated (also if anyone knows of reliable dealers of classic bikes that need restoration then please let me know).

Cheers and thanks for your time!

+4 on the Suzuki.

From what I can see it`s very similar to the other GS models and will probably be a sleeved down 750 rather than an overbored 550.

Parts for either are pretty easy to obtain and in the first instance get in touch with owners club.

If you go for the CX that could be an interesting bunch of people lol.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

+4 on the Suzuki.

From what I can see it`s very similar to the other GS models and will probably be a sleeved down 750 rather than an overbored 550.

Parts for either are pretty easy to obtain and in the first instance get in touch with owners club.

If you go for the CX that could be an interesting bunch of people lol.

Cheers

Ian

Hmmm interesting bunch :scratch: one of my old friends is in the cx lot and of them are a bunch of .......blithering idiots and people you definitely wouldn't want to go for a drink with.

Would be a decent cure for insomnia

Thanks for the response all, seems like the CX is not the way to go then! Looking at a XJ750 also but will decide over next couple of days and let you know how I got on.

Cheers

Speaking personally and as an ex despatcher from the 80`s I would rather have the CX than the XJ and For normal use as I said before the Suzuki is the first choice !

Cheers

Ian