Corona virus projects

Bender

I was thinking the second sort. Do you have any wisdom to offer?

The solid would be more hygienic, and I suspect similar to the original. But I think they would be a right pain to install.

Pop rivets easier to install.

I would like you to use the first option though and post up the video. :thumb:

My eldest son was helping me to replace some light switches a couple of weeks ago, and started asking me a load of questions about how domestic electricity works (he's built basic DC circuits in school but hasn't got onto AC yet). Seizing the opportunity for a bit of home schooling I bought a cheap consumer unit from Screwfix, liberated a load of bits from work, and together we built this in the garage:

1.thumb.JPG.0de457bed4c137783a4eef3004ecf50e.JPG

It's got a ring circuit (with a spur), a radial, a lighting circuit with two-way and intermediate switching, a fused connection unit and a circuit for a water heater.

2.thumb.JPG.42cb03a78c9c4c69c7da7f7950f6268c.JPG

He's learned loads! He can cut and strip cable, make solid terminations, and understands the basics of how switching, earthing and protective devices work. He's also learned a bit about volts, amps and impedance (via a simple hosepipe analogy) and can check the continuity of his circuits. Now all he needs to do is forget all his grammar and start walking around with his arse hanging out of his trousers and he'll be indistinguishable from a proper electrician!

:lol:

I was the same my old man taught me how to solder lead and copper pipe when i was seven, welding and brazing at ten, and was using all sorts of power tools from around eight :thumb:

I was the same my old man taught me how to solder lead and copper pipe when i was seven, welding and brazing at ten, and was using all sorts of power tools from around eight :thumb:

What Mark has done is tremendous and hopefully in time his lad will realise how lucky he is to have a real father rather than be plonked in front of some screen while his parents ignore him.

Dynax you are a different matter I shudder to think the risk your old man was taking with all our lives lol.

Cheers

Ian

What Mark has done is tremendous and hopefully in time his lad will realise how lucky he is to have a real father rather than be plonked in front of some screen while his parents ignore him.

Dynax you are a different matter I shudder to think the risk your old man was taking with all our lives lol.

Cheers

Ian

Couldn't agree more, more parents should be hands on with their kids and educating them :thumb:

I absolutely love teaching my kids stuff. My old man taught me nothing. I suppose I did pick up how to process and print black and white film, but that was entirely down to my determination to learn rather than any enthusiasm he had for showing me. He didn't really want kids, and never showed a spark of interest in me when I was growing up. Then when I was 15 he kicked the bucket, which was brilliant because I inherited all his gear! :lol: I still use some of it now!

Just thinking a little bit more about this home schooling you had #Dynax I hope your old man was a plumber?

:mrgreen:

Cheers

Ian

He was a gas fitter for British gas, back when it was called NEGAS in the '70's, and later in the '80's when it was British Gas North Eastern he was C&G qualified till he retired in the late '90's

Now all he needs to do is forget all his grammar and start walking around with his arse hanging out of his trousers and he'll be indistinguishable from a proper electrician!

You forgot not trimming cable ties. Then when discarding used cable ties, striped wire end, electric tape etc throwing them on the floor even better in loft insulation gravel, flower bed or scupper or drain to block them...

Now all he needs to do is forget all his grammar and start walking around with his arse hanging out of his trousers and he'll be indistinguishable from a proper electrician!

You forgot not trimming cable ties. Then when discarding used cable ties, striped wire end, electric tape etc throwing them on the floor even better in loft insulation gravel, flower bed or scupper or drain to block them...

You Sir are also a site manager or project manager and have to deal with the same numptys as me !

My other favourite is catching plumbers or mastic guys clearing nozzles in basin plug holes !

Instant walk off site !!!

Cheers

Ian

Just thinking a little bit more about this home schooling you had #Dynax I hope your old man was a plumber?

Cheers

Ian

He was a gas fitter for British gas, back when it was called NEGAS in the '70's, and later in the '80's when it was British Gas North Eastern he was C&G qualified till he retired in the late '90's

Best of both worlds trained to the highest standard and worked for the organisation that taught the finest shirking and theft for home projects !

Don't ask me how I know.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Best of both worlds trained to the highest standard and worked for the organisation that taught the finest shirking and theft for home projects !

Don't ask me how I know.

Cheers

Ian

We had a little sideline going of selling refurbished fires and ovens, he brought them home and i serviced them and then we sold them and he fitted them :thumb:

Don't ask me how I know.

Cheers

Ian

We had a little sideline going of selling refurbished fires and ovens, he brought them home and i serviced them and then we sold them and he fitted them :thumb:

Cool !

Very tidy business plan.

Cheers

Ian

Don't ask me how I know.

Cheers

Ian

Cool !

Very tidy business plan.

Cheers

Ian

Too many regulations to make it worthwhile nowadays though, and not long after i started working full time myself i left home, i do miss the '80's though it was a fantastic time to be growing up :lol: :thumb:

Another 'corona project', but something I've been thinking about for some time now...

The windscreen on my BMW F650 Funduro is quite high, and I noticed that the top bends inwards and 'shakes' in the wind.

So I was thinking of making some kind of support, but did not know where and how.

Handle bar is no option, for the screen is attached to the fairing.

So it should be a point that does not move when the handle bar is turned.

The frame is no option either, because it is too complicated to have it attached there.

Now the steering head happens to have some kind of plug with a round hole in it with a diameter of ± 1 cm.

And that hole is not moving when the handle bar is turned.

That would be the perfect base for the support...

So the plan could be:

Put an aluminium tube with the right diameter in the hole,

Bend it a bit forward, in a way that it does not touch the handle bar when turned.

It should be high enough though to be able to put the key in the ignition.

And it should go high enough to support the top of the screen.

1 meter of aluminium tube, diameter 1 cm, only € 2.50 in our local hardware store.

Measuring the bending point was complicated, also because the handle bar had to be removed in order to put the tube in the hole.

Bending it was a bit of a challenge too, we don't have this special tool (is it 'pipe bender' in English ?).

But when you fill the tube with - for instance sand - it won't flatten when bend.

And so I did, closing both ends with duct tape after...

I then cut the tube to size, and flattened the windscreen end.

Drilled a hole in the flattened end and the screen, and... voila, a screen support.

Nice, pretty ? Mwah... That doesn't matter much to me...

Functional ?

I'm gonna find out tomorrow.

I have to make a long trip, and forecast promises a strong breeze.

So... me happy ! 8-)

380929_F650-ScreenSupport(1).jpg.4fdefb7b7d0f81c4c33c9971caa14a22.jpg

715598084_F650-ScreenSupport(2).jpg.611eb88fc4bec6a00397c056ef24507c.jpg

993062884_F650-ScreenSupport(3).jpg.e91847a34fc17508a7dbdbe281323eae.jpg

821515514_F650-ScreenSupport(4).JPG.79575d449809c2f7d959b242a1429069.JPG

1343117474_F650-ScreenSupport(5).jpg.2996a9025a2b74b20d4fae636f2378fb.jpg

59883655_F650-ScreenSupport(6).jpg.2239605798146427b593f0f65e9f3596.jpg

547508627_F650-ScreenSupport(7).jpg.bfbb4ad7642acd0502e33c9f2f0fe7fb.jpg

358175913_F650-ScreenSupport(8).jpg.b408ed47400cb08abe245ef918ebd5a9.jpg

443918610_F650-ScreenSupport(9).jpg.533be3a08fda68be14d22ac2e51e6bd5.jpg

1084315607_F650-ScreenSupport(10).jpg.939f45243d63769af575f066cee08c79.jpg

Very good fix!

If for any reason it stresses the screen enough to cause cracking would you consider the following?

Exactly what you have done so far but continue up to a metallic trim slid around the edge of the screen and attach to that rather than put a fixing into the screen.

Hope that helps ?

Cheers

Ian

I would ! Good point !

That was my original plan, but I did not know exactly how I should go about it or what to use for a strip.

I'm not a metal worker, so it would have to be a 'ready to use' type of thing.

I'm not great at cutting and shaping metal beyond the simlple things I did today...

And... to be frank, my fear is that there will be cracking. :?

I put the thing together with as little stress or tension as possible.

But I'm sure of 1 thing, I'm gaining experience... :D

Thanks for your reply ! :thumb:

I would ! Good point !

That was my original plan, but I did not know exactly how I should go about it or what to use for a strip.

I'm not a metal worker, so it would have to be a 'ready to use' type of thing.

I'm not great at cutting and shaping metal beyond the simlple things I did today...

And... to be frank, my fear is that there will be cracking. :?

I put the thing together with as little stress or tension as possible.

But I'm sure of 1 thing, I'm gaining experience... :D

Thanks for your reply ! :thumb:

Thank you.

Fair play to you for proceeding with caution and getting it right.

If we need to go to the next stage I believe places like Halfrauds sell an edge trim for screens that is basically a bendable slotted soft metallic trim and I would be tempted to investigate whether that could be fitted then flatted with pliers (it`s bendable so I hope that will be easy) then fix exactly as you have done so far.

The thinking is that the trim will help prevent any cracking spreading.

Stop the front page !! Don't screw it using a self tapper drill it and use a bolt, 2 washers and a nut to allow you to keep an eye on tenson.

Cheers

Ian