BMW F650 ST Project

I bought this bike off a mate at work for a steel at £200 8-) He wanted more but I think deep down he knew he would never get it sorted again

He bought it himself as a little run around and spent a fair bit getting it on the road which included new wheels and tyres.

He had just got it all sorted and an MOT on it then 50 miles later the carbs packed up! He stored it in the garage to do when he had "time"

IMG-20180701-WA0001.jpg

Anyway fast forward a few years and it enters my garage in this state!!

IMG_20180712_190750.jpg

My plan was to just do the minimal work and then shift it on for a profit!

Oh how that changed! the first task was to cut off the chain as all the linkages were seized :shock:

The check out the rear suspension as that was a bit non existent!

IMG_20180723_113821.jpg

IMG_20180723_113850.jpg

All the suspension linkage was seized solid and had to be cut off and replaced and the swingarm bearings was the same!

IMG_20180723_113859.jpg

It also needed a lick of paint too

IMG_20190111_131229.jpg

Along the way I found the odd seized bolt that then snapped

IMG_20180714_170748.jpg

Which then required a nut welding on to remove it note the nice red glow :lol:

IMG_20180714_175145.jpg

A new battery was bought and a new set of carbs sourced as the old one were shot

IMG_20180723_113842.jpg

After some pre start checks its time to see if it runs! Which after a lot of messing and struggling it did although it was coughing and spluttering all over the place and fuel pissing all over from the carbs and just wouldn't run right. I guess they needed a rebuilt then!

Once I had rebuilt the carbs with all new seals and float valves it was time for round two!

She fired in to life with no effort at all but upon applying throttle it would just spit fuel and not run right!

Stripped carbs again re checked float height and reset the idle screws and tried again. it ran like a dream.

On to the next problem! Where has all the water gone? oh there it is in the oil!!

Thats a new water pump and seals added to the list!

Also someone has just filled it with straight water before instead of distilled water! look at the limescale in the water pump housing!

IMG_20200117_143335.jpg

Next job was to dump the oil and water mix which is when I found that the sump plug had been stripped of its threads in the past and was bodged in :roll: technically it hasn't got a sump its all built in to the casings and the oil is held in the frame. So to re thread it you have to split the cases as there is an oil strainer right above the plug hole stopping you from tapping it out!

Not a huge job to be honest and once I had started to strip the engine it became apparent that someone had used sealant instead of gaskets :bang: :bang:

IMG_20190527_212851.jpg

IMG_20190616_190024.jpg

IMG_20190527_212835.jpg

At this point I was debating the future of this project bike but after much thought I will soldier on!

The engine is now all stripped and internals stored in boxes out the way and I am going to clean the casings up and re paint them the sump bolt is also re threaded

I have just ordered some paint for the engine next will be a gasket set once thats all finished

To be continued.............

I have got a new chain and sprocket set for it already I found someone selling a brand new set for cheap so bought it in advance!

I also found the bars to be slightly bent! probably from a drop as there doesn't seem to be any accident damage so i replaced them with a set of a funduro which sits it up slightly

Caveat emptor

Indeed!

and I bought it blind! I had seen it on the road a couple of times and knew what he had put in to it and also what was wrong but for the price the wheels alone would easily double it 8-)

Guest Swagman

Well it will keep you out of mischief for a while,and help keep you sane.

Bit too late on both counts to be honest :lol:

Yeah that figures :D :D.

Bit more work Yesterday!

Barrels looking OK for 66k

IMG_20200424_150808.jpg

IMG_20200424_150758.jpg

Exhaust seals removed from the head

IMG_20200424_150048.jpg

Thermostat housing cleaned up a little before shot blasting

IMG_20200422_145329.jpg

IMG_20200422_144851.jpg

Starter motor cleaned up too 8-)