Rear wheel alignment - new tool test

jedibiker

I felt a bit miffed at first then spent some time examining the alignment and wear characteristics and please believe me id doesn't make a noticeable difference.

If you watch some of the you tube footage of Japanese gymkhana riders who have WAAAY more talent than I it obviously doesn't affect direction changes.

Cheers

Ian

and thinking is the chain going to jump off :scratch:

Not at all .

The whole point is that the chain running in a straight alinement between the sprockets is the whole point.

That means the wheels are pointing in the same direction and there is no real noticeable effect on the handling of a large fairly heavy naked bike.

I am no Rossi/Marquez but I have been riding it for 16 years including trackdays and RWYB with no real problems.

Cheers

Ian

I have the wrong rear wheel on my K100 (a later 16v item) which bolts up fine but the rim is offset to the left by about 25mm, I've never noticed any handling difference except maybe a little weirdness when running along white lines. Tyre wear appears unaffected. Thankfully, because it's shaft drive, MOT testers never think to check it 8-)

I also went Germany one year and didn't check whether the tyre man had fitted the rear wheel straight, which he hadn't.. It was a good few notches out but again I never noticed! The chain didn't even make any extra noise, amazing what you can get away with.

I have always sighted up the chain by eye, not using a tool. Also looking on the teeth of sprocket and chain incase one side shows wear.

Looking to see if the chain is central on sprocket...

Interesting to note the bikes with offsets and that it makes no difference to the handling..

Does it increase tyre wear?

That is correct which is why it is more important they are pointing in the right direction.

When the ZRX1100 became the 1200 they wanted to fit a fashionable wider rear wheel so they offset the rear approx. 6mm.

Basically they offset the wheel to the disc side by 1/2 inch so they could leave the chain run as is.

As a result we tend to advise people to only recentre the wheel if they are changing the swing arm and they check the chain run.

It is probably not the only time this has happened.

Cheers

Ian

I cant get my head around that, what is offset? are the wheels aligned but something at the back is set different? the zzr is a bike ive wanted to try lol cheers

That is correct which is why it is more important they are pointing in the right direction.

When the ZRX1100 became the 1200 they wanted to fit a fashionable wider rear wheel so they offset the rear approx. 6mm.

Basically they offset the wheel to the disc side by 1/2 inch so they could leave the chain run as is.

As a result we tend to advise people to only recentre the wheel if they are changing the swing arm and they check the chain run.

Cheers

Ian

I cant get my head around that, what is offset? are the wheels aligned but something at the back is set different? the zzr is a bike ive wanted to try lol cheers

The wheels are both in a line just the rear is a few mm off the center line compared to the front wheel

Cheers

Ian

I have always sighted up the chain by eye, not using a tool. Also looking on the teeth of sprocket and chain incase one side shows wear.

Interesting to note the bikes with offsets and that it makes no difference to the handling..

No tyre wear isn't affected as both wheels pointing in same direction just as normal.

Cheers

Ian

No tyre wear isn't affected as both wheels pointing in same direction just as normal.

Cheers

Ian

No they're not. Front wheel will point to where you want to go and read is always the same direction :P

Cheers

Ian

No they're not. Front wheel will point to where you want to go and read is always the same direction :P

Agreed but I thought he was asking about rear tyre wear as it`s the rear that is offset.

Front behaves just like any front wheel.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Agreed but I thought he was asking about rear tyre wear as it`s the rear that is offset.

Front behaves just like any front wheel.

Cheers

Ian

Yep.

Usually there is an offset between front and rear wheels (when both pointing same direction.

This offset compensates the pulling of the rear wheel from the chain. If wheels were perfectly aligned as you would find if you pass a string from the front of the front tyre to the rear of the rear tyre you will find a gap between the front of the rear wheel and the string. That is the offset that allow the bike to go straight.

Agreed but the offset we were discussing was the fact that Kawasaki have moved the wheel across in the swingarm so that 2 models could share crankcase dimensions, frame and sprocket alignment but have different width rear wheels.

From memory the 1200 has the rear wheel moved 12mm off centre away from the sprocket side.

Hope that makes it clearer if not I am sure there will be someone along soon who can do it better than me.

Cheers

Ian