The dreaded insurance

MarkK92

So after passing my test in January, I've been saving up with the plan to get a bike this summer. Covid-19 hit which has given me time to spend on working out full costs of each bike I'm looking at.

My shortlist was:

Yamaha MT09

Triumph Street Triple RS

BMW F900R

Street Triple RS was always going to be a big push for bike alone and had looked at R but do wonder whether I'll always feel like I'm missing out with the R after test riding the RS.

So began to work out insurance for each of the 3 when I had a garage.

Was about £1.5k for each but RS was most expensive. Despite being most powerful 👍🏻. Oh yes and 2020 R was £2.5k. How does that work?

Anyway I've now had to move and new place doesn't have a garage. Long story but covid restrictions meant I couldn't view more than 2 places before lockdown and both had no garages so have had to go with one of them as need a place.

Unfortunately but not surprisingly insurance has gone up to £2k for F900R, £2.5k for MT09 and I'm uninsurable on the RS. The R is also £3k to insure.

So it was back to looking at used bikes. Using the MT09 as an example I can get a 2017 model insured for about £1.5k comprehensive. That's the cheapest I've got out of the 3 I'm looking at as used (obviously the F900R is a new model. I hate the F800R by the way!)

That made me look at Third Party Fire and Theft and that brings down quotes to below £1k. A 2017 RS is £800 and 2017 MT09 is £650.

I am really wary of getting only TPFT on a used bike but just can't see how I can get my first big bike if I don't get TPFT or by getting an older lower powered bike.

Would be good if anyone has any thoughts on this. Also may be a stupid question but say over a 5 year period are your insurance quotes more likely to come down with fully comp policy or a TPFT?

Thanks

Have you considered a much cheaper second hand bike just for the first year?

Something just to get used to and enjoy big bikes? Like a cbr600r or zzr/zxr 600, triumph Daytona etc. For context with a garage my tpft insurance on my zzr600 is about £32 per month with one years no claims earned on a 125.

Where you live makes a difference of course but I don not seem to live in a cheap insurance area.

Guest Richzx6r

Bloody hell!! at those quotes I'd be looking at getting a different cheaper bike and building up my no claims for a couple of years :shock:

Agreed with that why get screwed over on insurance when you could buy an older bike and learn the craft and it will still be as quick as the stuff you have been looking at just a fraction of the cost

Bloody hell!! at those quotes I'd be looking at getting a different cheaper bike and building up my no claims for a couple of years :shock:

Thanks. Trying to have a look at a few now to get an idea of some ones I could get.

I had looked at something like an '04 R6 that was just over £3k with 9k miles. That was £800 to insure TPFT so still expensive as others but less money to lose if I crash.

R6 is probably a bit much for first big bike though!

Have you considered a much cheaper second hand bike just for the first year?

Something just to get used to and enjoy big bikes? Like a cbr600r or zzr/zxr 600, triumph Daytona etc. For context with a garage my tpft insurance on my zzr600 is about £32 per month with one years no claims earned on a 125.

Where you live makes a difference of course but I don not seem to live in a cheap insurance area.

Will have a look at CBR600RR. Been looking at R6's and they're still £800. I should have mentioned that I have a chinese 125 that I had from having my first CBT in 2014. Got that insured again end of last year so building no claims on that.

I think my insurance area is pretty high. I live in a safe area but it's not from rough areas and the main road between Liverpool and Manchester isn't far so I guess that adds risk

Have a look at different compare sites if you haven't already. I find comparethemarket usually quotes me a lot less than other ones and thats with the same brokers!

Any details you could change slightly to get the quotes down? mileage is one, not everyone needs 10,000 on their bike :lol: Other one that worked for me was occupation. I am a fish fryer but as I run the shop I put down manager which knocks approx £45 of for year :D

I have to deal with whats known in the insurance game as "the Bradford tax" and I still would weep at paying your quotes :cry:

I've only been riding for 3 years and the past 2 years, I've only had TP Only for my CBR, like you I was scared with just TP Only in case it got stolen but thankfully it was OK. This is my first year that I have FC and on a bigger bike, worked out only £30 more expensive than TP Only for what I paid on year 2. Building up NCD does help on renewals and I agree with what previous posts has said about getting a mid-range bike to practice as you get more used to the higher power band as you go up.

Guest Swagman

I would still go get a bike that costs a lot less, it’s your first big bike and there are plenty of big bikes out there that would suit, cbr600 not the rr is a good starting point loads about reliable and fairly cheap, they have plenty of power and speed plus they handle pretty good, Yamaha thundercat again reliable well proven 600cc fast agile all you ever need in a first bike, I really don’t see the point in going any newer it costs way too much for new riders and if you bin them it’s not so hard to replace or repair, just my thoughts, I pay £80 A year for my Fazer 1000 fully comp, so 1.5 grand seems way excessive when you can have as much fun on a cheaper second hand bike. :D

Have a look at different compare sites if you haven't already. I find comparethemarket usually quotes me a lot less than other ones and thats with the same brokers!

Any details you could change slightly to get the quotes down? mileage is one, not everyone needs 10,000 on their bike :lol: Other one that worked for me was occupation. I am a fish fryer but as I run the shop I put down manager which knocks approx £45 of for year :D

I have to deal with whats known in the insurance game as "the Bradford tax" and I still would weep at paying your quotes :cry:

Thanks very much for advice. Looked at compare the market and actually seem cheaper. Only £100 or so off but still!

I entered office manager as job which is true but what makes me wonder if insurance is higher is the industry I put down - retailing. I work for a supermarket but it's in their head office, not in store. Don't know if it makes any difference. Ironically at work motorbikes can park in underground car park.

I've only been riding for 3 years and the past 2 years, I've only had TP Only for my CBR, like you I was scared with just TP Only in case it got stolen but thankfully it was OK. This is my first year that I have FC and on a bigger bike, worked out only £30 more expensive than TP Only for what I paid on year 2. Building up NCD does help on renewals and I agree with what previous posts has said about getting a mid-range bike to practice as you get more used to the higher power band as you go up.

Been looking at a few cheaper options. Just trying to put a list together now!

I would still go get a bike that costs a lot less, it’s your first big bike and there are plenty of big bikes out there that would suit, cbr600 not the rr is a good starting point loads about reliable and fairly cheap, they have plenty of power and speed plus they handle pretty good, Yamaha thundercat again reliable well proven 600cc fast agile all you ever need in a first bike, I really don’t see the point in going any newer it costs way too much for new riders and if you bin them it’s not so hard to replace or repair, just my thoughts, I pay £80 A year for my Fazer 1000 fully comp, so 1.5 grand seems way excessive when you can have as much fun on a cheaper second hand bike. :D

I have been looking at 2017 Street Triple RS and that is in some cases £1000 less to insure. Guess bike value is less but seems kind of crazy. Looking at some of the good deals you can get on used bikes in general makes me wonder why I've been looking at new bikes so much. For less than say new MT09 I can get a really good low mileage RS. That would be incredible as RS has been my dream bike for years

Guest Richzx6r

I have been looking at 2017 Street Triple RS and that is in some cases £1000 less to insure. Guess bike value is less but seems kind of crazy. Looking at some of the good deals you can get on used bikes in general makes me wonder why I've been looking at new bikes so much. For less than say new MT09 I can get a really good low mileage RS. That would be incredible as RS has been my dream bike for years

While it may be your dream bike you should be cutting your teeth on something older and cheaper

Have you looked at bikes that fall into classic insurance, 20 years or so in age depending on the ins company?

Plenty of decent big bikes in that era, R1 for example;mine is 20 years old next year.

ZX9,Fireblade,GSXR etc.

Hi. I was in the same position, passed in Sept2019.. I bought a 2019 Honda CBR650R in the end, to build up some no claims. Its plenty fast enough and looks ace.

I also looked at Triumph Street Triple RS, and Kawa ZX6R, and the Yamaha R6. All were very expensive to insure, even with a garage.

Having your license for one year brings the insurance down (I tried it on a comparison site).

fyi - I had quotes similar to yours. My CBR is £350 per year. Cannot complain at all.

I'm in the "Buy something cheaper" camp. Get an older 600 and get some NCB. Let's be honest here: It's your first big bike and you're likely to end up dropping it. If it's an expensive bike, you'll end up claiming on the insurance and that'll push your premiums up to stratospheric levels.

Buy something older and cheaper and repair it with used parts if (when) you drop it.

Something like a Bandit 600 would be a good first big bike with plentiful and cheap spares.

While it may be your dream bike you should be cutting your teeth on something older and cheaper

Yeah I do get that. As I've said I'll have a look at a few different bikes. I do have the confess I am the kind of person that is enticed by shiny new things :D

Have you looked at bikes that fall into classic insurance, 20 years or so in age depending on the ins company?

Plenty of decent big bikes in that era, R1 for example;mine is 20 years old next year.

ZX9,Fireblade,GSXR etc.

I've looked at a few. I honestly really love the style of the older superbikes. Certainly 2001-2006 bikes to me look fantastic.

The only thing that does put me off getting something like that is the commute to work. Its 30 miles and into central Manchester so want something that's comfortable if I'm honest.

I'm just not that clued up on nakeds of that era

Hi. I was in the same position, passed in Sept2019.. I bought a 2019 Honda CBR650R in the end, to build up some no claims. Its plenty fast enough and looks ace.

I also looked at Triumph Street Triple RS, and Kawa ZX6R, and the Yamaha R6. All were very expensive to insure, even with a garage.

Having your license for one year brings the insurance down (I tried it on a comparison site).

fyi - I had quotes similar to yours. My CBR is £350 per year. Cannot complain at all.

Great looking bike the CBR650R. A mate used to have a 500 and it was great.

Just done a quote on the insurance for one and its £2.3k!

I'm in the "Buy something cheaper" camp. Get an older 600 and get some NCB. Let's be honest here: It's your first big bike and you're likely to end up dropping it. If it's an expensive bike, you'll end up claiming on the insurance and that'll push your premiums up to stratospheric levels.

Buy something older and cheaper and repair it with used parts if (when) you drop it.

Something like a Bandit 600 would be a good first big bike with plentiful and cheap spares.

Yeah you're absolutely right on that. I dropped my crappy little Chinese bike. Rode it in London for a year and was fine. Moved back up here, rode it on a roads up here. Was fine. 2 weeks later was at a lay by on a local a road and put side stand down and didn't see the crack along the surface. Bike went straight down as soon as I was off. Thankfully it was just a snapped clutch lever

Is that 2.3k for FC? Man, that would make me cry if I had to pay that for insurance for one year.

Is that 2.3k for FC? Man, that would make me cry if I had to pay that for insurance for one year.

Yeah for FC. Insane. I did pay £3.2k for insurance on my first car 10 years ago. Was a bloody fiesta!

The ironic thing is that where I live is a safe area. There is very little crime. Yes I don't have a garage but even with a garage I was only saving about £600.

My postcode area is big though and covers a few different towns and neighbourhoods. Some affluent and some poor.