What do I need to service callipers?

James in Brum

Hi gang

I want to service my tokico brake callipers in a few weeks just to learn how really.

What do I need, eBay has lots including bolts, not including bolts, with Bleed things and not ranging from just the seals for £8.50 to seal and bolts and stuff for£50.

What do I need?

Guest Richzx6r

Depends on how thorough your planning on going most of the time just a seal change makes the difference but with tokicos you really do need to keep on top of the maintenance to keep them working properly

Thanks Rich, I have no idea how thorough I want to be really. I don’t know enough to decide. I want to take them apart and clean them, I want to change the pads if needed but beyond that not a clue. They work at the moment.

Guest Richzx6r

I take it they are the 6 pot tokicos? If so I'd recommend minimum of a full seal kit and don't forget to clean out the crud from the grooves before you put the new seals in

IMO if you are looking at stripping them there is no difference in a good clean up and a thorough clean up as it should be done right in the first place :lol:

If you are stripping them then there is no more to it it really is as simple as strip them remove all seals clean them up and reassemble with new seals

Whichever kit you buy make sure you get the seals that go between the two calipers too

Your two main concerns should be the grove where the seals sit and the pistons. The groves need to be spotless and the pistons need to be rust and pit free

Pistons are expensive!

I would also replace the bleed nipples too

Guest Richzx6r

IMO if you are looking at stripping them there is no difference in a good clean up and a thorough clean up as it should be done right in the first place :lol:

If you are stripping them then there is no more to it it really is as simple as strip them remove all seals clean them up and reassemble with new seals

Whichever kit you buy make sure you get the seals that go between the two calipers too

Your two main concerns should be the grove where the seals sit and the pistons. The groves need to be spotless and the pistons need to be rust and pit free

Pistons are expensive!

I would also replace the bleed nipples too

Agreed

Totally agree with what [mention]Stu[/mention] and [mention]Richzx6r[/mention] have said but I would add if you are going to split the calipers it is worth cracking off the allen headed bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together whilst the caliper is bolted in place on the fork legs.

Don`t remove or slacken them too much as this is purely to avoid having to hold them tight in a vice while you are disassemling.

I believe the alloy used in manufacture is quite brittle and prone to damage so just treat them a little gently.

Cheers

Ian

Totally agree with what @Stu and @Richzx6r have said but I would add if you are going to split the calipers it is worth cracking off the allen headed bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together whilst the caliper is bolted in place on the fork legs.

Don`t remove or slacken them too much as this is purely to avoid having to hold them tight in a vice while you are disassemling.

I believe the alloy used in manufacture is quite brittle and prone to damage so just treat them a little gently.

Cheers

Ian

Same for banjo bolts and bleed nipples

and don't forget to pump the pistons as far out as you can without them popping out on both sides

Totally agree with what @Stu and @Richzx6r have said but I would add if you are going to split the calipers it is worth cracking off the allen headed bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together whilst the caliper is bolted in place on the fork legs.

Cheers

Ian

Same for banjo bolts and bleed nipples

and don't forget to pump the pistons as far out as you can without them popping out on both sides

All top tips.

Short of [mention]Stu[/mention] or [mention]Richzx6r[/mention] popping round and doing them for you I would say you are about set to go.

Cheers

Ian

Also a decent sized spanner is usually the right size to fit in the calipers to stop the pistons coming all the way out :D

I prefer to use a piece of wood for that job but a spanner would do just as well and stop me having to rummage about looking for the bit of wood I cut to size last time before giving up and cutting a new one lol.

Cheers

Ian

Also a decent sized spanner is usually the right size to fit in the calipers to stop the pistons coming all the way out :D

I prefer to use a piece of wood for that job but a spanner would do just as well and stop me having to rummage about looking for the bit of wood I cut to size last time before giving up and cutting a new one lol.

Cheers

Ian

I use the spanner as it sits between the slots where the disc runs so doesn't get pushed too far one way if you get a free moving piston :)

That makes sense.

I suppose we all pick up different ways of doing stuff along the way which is why things like this are useful regardless of your level of experience.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Just a question when splitting the caliper does it always need a new seal or can I use the ones I have now?

Guest Richzx6r

I have re used seals many times with no issues :)

I haven't split calipers before is the reason for my question as I have a set of tokicos on the a1p and a set of 4 pot triumph calipers on the j1 which I'm thinking of swapping over and ripping apart and cleaning them both up I have removed just pistons and seals just not a full strip down and clean but cheers for clearing up that I can reuse all the seals I just hope they go back together and dont start leaking

I have re used seals many times with no issues :)

I haven't split calipers before is the reason for my question as I have a set of tokicos on the a1p and a set of 4 pot triumph calipers on the j1 which I'm thinking of swapping over and ripping apart and cleaning them both up I have removed just pistons and seals just not a full strip down and clean but cheers for clearing up that I can reuse all the seals I just hope they go back together and dont start leaking

well seals are there to stop the leaks so if it doesn't leak then all is good :thumb: