Brake clean up

Guest Richzx6r

Guest Richzx6r

So with the few days a week I have off I'm now deciding to clean up the brake calipers on both bikes and put the braided hoses from my old j1 on to the a1p

Now I'm hoping to get away with reusing all the seals currently in all the calipers all I need to do now is find a way of pulling out the pistons so as I dont damage them as I dont own a pair of piston removal pliers but if I have to then I'll just buy some

But so far I have brought some essentials

15885119886243166028667866336989.thumb.jpg.7f9ba6c408242f4516666b07929c613c.jpg

And will now get on with removing the calipers and lines

Hi Mate

If you don't have the piston removal plies you could try pumping them out and pushing them back a few times and they do seem to free up considerably.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Hi Mate

If you don't have the piston removal plies you could try pumping them out and pushing them back a few times and they do seem to free up considerably.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah I wanted to split the calipers and clean them properly, just done the rear brake sort of all to do now is to change the line from the rubber to the braided that's on my old ninja but neither of the banjo bolts will move at all :x just going to have a look at the fronts now but bet the banjos will be the same

Stubborn banjo bolts are a pig.

If you are changing seals anyway it might be a gentle oven treatment if swimbo is looking the other way.

Another dodge an old engineer guy told me was while holding the bolt under tension with a ring spanner, GENTLY !!!!! keep tapping with a pin hammer and with a fair bit of time and patience you will be amazed how stubborn immovable bolts or studs sometimes just give up and surrender.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Stubborn banjo bolts are a pig.

If you are changing seals anyway it might be a gentle oven treatment if swimbo is looking the other way.

Another dodge an old engineer guy told me was while holding the bolt under tension with a ring spanner, GENTLY !!!!! keep tapping with a pin hammer and with a fair bit of time and patience you will be amazed how stubborn immovable bolts or studs sometimes just give up and surrender.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

Well I have actually just decided that the poxy brakes can do one as soon as this lockdown is lifted the bikes a gonner for either a v strom or busa will just put the triumph 4 pots off my other ninja on it once they are rebuilt which is what I'm gonna get on with now I'm leaving the a1p as it is, I'm guessing that all the 6 pots are the same so they should fit on the busa forks

The way I did my 6 pots was to first crack off the bolts that hold the two halves of the callipers together then tighten them up again but not too tight . Then I pumped EVERY piston out as far as possible before I even started pulling them . To do this I took the first calliper off , removed the pads , put it back on the bike and pumped the lever until every piston was in contact with the disk . Then I took it off again and using anything that came to hand such as spanners , old pads etc , pump the pistons out as far as possible while keeping the moving ones apart so that the others can catch up . ( Hope this makes sense ) Next , put something thin between all the pistons to prevent further movement . Repeat the process for the other side . Now the messy bit . Open the bleed nipples and pump all the fluid out . Finally , split the callipers and wiggle the pistons out using Mole Grips and a piece of rubber inner tube to protect the outer surface . Worked for me .

Guest Richzx6r

The way I did my 6 pots was to first crack off the bolts that hold the two halves of the callipers together then tighten them up again but not too tight . Then I pumped EVERY piston out as far as possible before I even started pulling them . To do this I took the first calliper off , removed the pads , put it back on the bike and pumped the lever until every piston was in contact with the disk . Then I took it off again and using anything that came to hand such as spanners , old pads etc , pump the pistons out as far as possible while keeping the moving ones apart so that the others can catch up . ( Hope this makes sense ) Next , put something thin between all the pistons to prevent further movement . Repeat the process for the other side . Now the messy bit . Open the bleed nipples and pump all the fluid out . Finally , split the callipers and wiggle the pistons out using Mole Grips and a piece of rubber inner tube to protect the outer surface . Worked for me .

That does make sense Bob, they aren't really all that bad if I'm honest as I do spray them liberally with brake cleaner ever week or so when riding and every couple of weeks since it's not been used just thought it would make sense to strip them to component parts and give them a damned good going over so far I have had the pads out the rear brake and have been struggling to budge the banjo from the caliper or the master cylinder end so I have given up with the back brake now

A very good and clearly explained method!

Should help a lot of people that.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

A very good and clearly explained method!

Should help a lot of people that.

Cheers

Ian

Yea I agree, [mention]fastbob[/mention] maybe you could make a guide for the 6 pot tokicos?

Thanks for the kind words. The next bit is to pull out all the seals and clean all the crap out of the grooves . First thing to do is pop into the Co-op and get a pack of Bamboo Barbecue skewers to use as picks and scraping tools . If you exercise care you can do the whole job using the existing seals but use new ones if you want . And now the great puzzle 😁 Which way up do the seals go ? Does it matter ? If it does , how can you tell ? Well now you know why I took mine out , placed them carefully in a safe place and put them back the same way up . I should also add that I did the job one piston at a time . Yep , all 12 of them . I wish I had bothered to take some pictures but for some reason I didn't bother . Anyway , I hope this is enough to be going on with . Next installment , filling and bleeding the system in five minutes with no special equipment.

Guest Richzx6r

Well I have decided that the bike can wait till tomorrow iv kinda had enough of it for the day.

But a very good write up there bob

Guest Swagman

Well I have decided that the bike can wait till tomorrow iv kinda had enough of it for the day.

Get the beer out Rich. :D :D

Guest Richzx6r

Oh I have already on my 3rd cider in hour and half :thumb:

Guest Swagman

Nice just going to get my second whiskey, well I’ll get the wife to get it she puts more in the glass than me. :thumb: :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Nice just going to get my second whiskey, well I’ll get the wife to get it she puts more in the glass than me. :thumb: :thumb:

Must admit I am abit tempted to go out and get on with the front brakes with some cider fueled enthusiasm

Guest Swagman

Must admit I am abit tempted to go out and get on with the front brakes with some cider fueled enthusiasm

That is definitely not wise Rich you will have them working in reverse. :D :D :D

Guest Richzx6r

That is definitely not wise Rich you will have them working in reverse. :D :D :D

Tbf the tokicos arent going back on the bike it's the triumph ones that are going on

Guest Swagman

Tbf the tokicos arent going back on the bike it's the triumph ones that are going on

Nice brakes on the triumphs, my daughter has the 765 the brakes are great. :D :D

Guest Richzx6r

Nice brakes on the triumphs, my daughter has the 765 the brakes are great. :D :D

They certainly are, when I first put them on and used them it was like I had just hit a brick wall

[mention]fastbob[/mention] Makes a fair point about the orientation of the seals !

I now always remove and lay out on a piece of card as the way round does matter.

Right I have an appointment with my favourite Belgian lady (Stella).

Cheers

Ian

Guest Swagman

@fastbob Makes a fair point about the orientation of the seals !

I now always remove and lay out on a piece of card as the way round does matter.

Cheers

Ian

Don’t be to rough on Stella Ian. :D :D

Guest Richzx6r

@fastbob Makes a fair point about the orientation of the seals !

Cheers

Ian

Well I shall put them back in the same way they came out then :thumb:

And enjoy your beer ian