Hello from a newby

Mattyfab

Hi everybody. Thought I’d quickly introduce myself before I start bombarding you all with questions.

I’m Matt, I passed my DAS a couple of years ago, and briefly had a CBR650F which I pottered about on.

I ended up selling it to buy a van to transport my lads’ karts in as they kart race.

Anyway.....

I fancy getting myself another bike to go on little ride outs, and possibly longer tours as I meet new people etc.

Not sure on what I want. I’m 6ft tall so need something comfy, so edging more towards a tourer or sport tourer as I’m not really comfy on a proper sports bike.

I was fancying a MT-09, but after more research, found they probably aren’t the best kind of bikes for longer rides. I was looking at VFR800’s and the like (after watching YouTube videos), but I think they might be too big and bulky for a semi-beginner and for the shorter rides that I’d be starting out with.

Anyway, that’s my quick intro, and hope to meet some new friends on here.

Thanks for reading,

Matt

Hello and welcome . It's no good asking me because I have never really taken practicalities into consideration when choosing bikes . I'm a little surprised that you don't consider an MT09 to be a suitable touring bike but then again, I'll tour on anything I happen to own at the time .

Hello and welcome . It's no good asking me because I have never really taken practicalities into consideration when choosing bikes . I'm a little surprised that you don't consider an MT09 to be a suitable touring bike but then again, I'll tour on anything I happen to own at the time .

Hi,

I’ve only made that observation from the fact it has no screen or fairings to deflect the wind, and many people online say how bad the wind can be when travelling decent distances.

You can tour on just about any bike, some are more suited than others, and the type of terrain you will come across can also affect your choice of bike or at least tyre choice, which will also determine your bike choice to some degree, have a look on Youtube at touring videos and see what bikes are being used in the different parts of the world, but remember nothing is set in stone and there are no hard and fast rules to obey regarding what bike is best :lol: :thumb:

What excites you to look at? Then sit on them, if you still like it take it for a ride and if you like it then buy it. If after a while you stop turning back to look as you walk away or stop going to just look at it for the sake of it then sell it and get another.

Also what’s your budget, how much of a newbie do you feel like you are? I am, only passed DAS in August last year and was on my 125 for about eighteen months before. Think I have covered about 16k miles only.

I have a zzr600 from 1990 because I could afford it and it had low mileage. I absolutely love it. I still get up to look out if the office window at it, if I don’t ride for a few days I miss it and her. She can go really quite quickly if I want, there reports of someone fitting my description doing 140+ and interns of acceleration if I push it it accelerates more quickly than I feel able to manage.

Down side is also an upside, as an older bike there is opportunity for Maintainance and problem solving which for me is a plus. Also because no a new bike the materials seem good.

As I said , you can tour on anything . A bag and a couple of Bungees . Breakdown cover , Debit Card and toothbrush and off you go .

wp_ss_20181016_0002.thumb.png.3d019958f5d72173b9d6334157b2a1a1.png

What excites you to look at? Then sit on them, if you still like it take it for a ride and if you like it then buy it. If after a while you stop turning back to look as you walk away or stop going to just look at it for the sake of it then sell it and get another.

Also what’s your budget, how much of a newbie do you feel like you are? I am, only passed DAS in August last year and was on my 125 for about eighteen months before. Think I have covered about 16k miles only.

I have a zzr600 from 1990 because I could afford it and it had low mileage. I absolutely love it. I still get up to look out if the office window at it, if I don’t ride for a few days I miss it and her. She can go really quite quickly if I want, there reports of someone fitting my description doing 140+ and interns of acceleration if I push it it accelerates more quickly than I feel able to manage.

Down side is also an upside, as an older bike there is opportunity for Maintainance and problem solving which for me is a plus. Also because no a new bike the materials seem good.

Hi James.

I passed my DAS in September 2018, Id already bought the CBR650F, so was straight out on that once I passed. I only ever rode it in fair weather, so as you can imagine, I didnt have much time out on it before the nights drew in and the cold/wet weather started. I then sold it in November to fund a race van for the kids, so I didnt get much experience on it.

I drive all around the country for a living in cars, so im confident on the roads etc, but still a little nervous on the bike, hence why I dont want something too heavy.

Budget wise, im happy to go upto £5000ish for now to get back into it, and if I start riding more, meet new friends and start touring etc, Id quite happily go for something newer / more expensive, but dont want to take a hit straight away if I just do local rides a few times a year if that makes sense?

As im 6ft, I didnt find the 650f super comfy, hence why I want something a little more tourer. Im 35, so not mega old, but I dont want a sore back and wrists when I go for a ride.

Speedwise, the 650f was fairly fast when I gave it some, so id like something with at least the same performance, but I wont be blasting round at triple figure speeds (not too much anyway) as I need my licence for work lol.

The zzr600 is a sports tourer.

I’ve not ridden much big stuff. Did my test on a cb600 and I have ridden a Honda nc750s for a few months.

My old zzr kicks the arse on the new nc750s, I enjoy it more, it’s more comfy and it’s quicker.

I doubt you can go wrong with a 600 sports/sports tourer. Don’t think just because higher CC it’s more pokey, that seems not always to be the case in my limited experience.

In your shoes I would search on Fleabay within a budget range, maybe 2-4K leaving you money for toys and insurance and sit scrolling until something looks exciting to you.

Hi [mention]Mattyfab[/mention] welcome to the forum. As Fastbob says you can tour on anything.

Best thing is to make a shortlist and then go for a test ride to se if it suits.

Hello and Welcome :D

When it's possible you need to get round a few dealers, look at/ sit on as many bikes as you can.

There's always a compromise somewhere in biking! :lol:

Yep, think i need to get back so CMC or J&S once things are back open and see what they have to sit on