Instant gasket or gasket paper?

Tiggie

I'm bored so thought I'd start a discussion and maybe learn some things while I'm at it :)

I've heard so many people say never to use instant gasket as it can get in the engine and cause issues. Never seen it happen personally but to be honest I've only had to take engine casings off a handful of times.

The other school of thought if you aren't buying premade gaskets is to buy the paper and make your own. Not had any experience with this myself, I've never tried as I am shit with scissors :lol:

I'll leave it to you lot to educate me :thumb:

I would never use instant gasket INSTEAD of any gasket full stop . Making your own gaskets can be time consuming but immensely satisfying but you will need more than a pair of scissors . I use a scalpel and a hole punch that I made from a spare locator dowel . Here's some I made earlier.

Polish_20200508_225818264.thumb.jpg.ed8cd49cb4c9faad21d7c77883bac84b.jpg

The reason you don't use instant gasket is sometimes it never dries and dislodges in the engine blocking oil ways even dried sealant can do it too

OLd fashioned (now) paper charts where ideal weight and thickness for gaskets., for me I don't like gunk that can stick bits on my bike so its new or paper gasket every time...

Allen Millyard has a video with gasket making in it, the gasket part starts at about 5.20 he uses both gasket and sealer. If it's good enough for him ........

The gasket fitting is further on at 10.43.

Allen Millyard has a video with gasket making in it, the gasket part starts at about 5.20 he uses both gasket and sealer. If it's good enough for him ........

The gasket fitting is further on at 10.43.

Some very convenient editing there . You might get away with a Swiss Army knife on very thin gasket paper but that wouldn't work on the grade I used . My sump gasket was fitted without any silicone sealant and it hasn't leaked in 1500 miles . Why make future disassembly difficult by gluing the gasket to the mating surfaces ? My gaskets appear neater than Mr Millyard's but then I do have many hours of experience accurately cutting model aeroplane parts with a scalpel .

Polish_20200509_103055761.thumb.png.0283a40b4433bb91c097762cf78f2c5f.png

Edited by fastbob

Allen Millyard

If it's good enough for him ........

Never heard of him! so he culd be the man from the moon to me! which wouldn't inspire any confidence :?

I'm a buy the gaskets pre made type of guy :)

[mention]Stu[/mention] He's a nuclear engineer who builds motorbikes in his shed. And by build I mean he even makes the crankshafts in there :shock:

IMG_1139-1024x715.thumb.jpg.625f6ddfedbe601e889e6a415d24f8d4.jpg

[mention]raesewell[/mention] Funnily enough I watched this video the other day :thumb:

[mention]fastbob[/mention] that makes my fingers ache just looking at it :cheers:

Good point @Stu

Premade clutch gasket alone for mine is around £19

going on that basis you can get 900mm x 3m gasket paper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Quality-Oil-Paper-Jointing-Gasket-Paper-Material-DIY-GASKETS-PAP11/161721916909?hash=item25a7609ded:m:m5BWEy0Q2UsptL3dysLMzzg&var=460696444823

Not sure if its the right stuff! but you will certainly have plenty space for mistakes to make :lol:

nothing wrong with liquid gasket if that's what's intended for the joint.

Its when people bodge it and apply way too much that it becomes a problem or use the wrong type like none setting or don't allow it to set :)

Its when people bodge it and apply way too much that it becomes a problem or use the wrong type like none setting or don't allow it to set :)

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to pickup spanners.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to pickup spanners.

Thats why I advised [mention]Tiggie[/mention] not to use it.........

:popcorn: