Can anyone offer me advice......desperate!

Sarriea101

Ok, I’m not a biker, just a mum to 16yo who is wanting a bike and I’m so confused as everyone gives me diff advice. So I thought I’d come to see if any of ypu great people can offer me enlightened help.....I am very grateful in advance.

My son turns 16 next month, we have the prov licence and he is booked in for CBT, Will then do theory and the skills to get AM licence.

He wants the Aprilla RS4 50. I have found a gorgeous bike he loves but it’s unrestricted. When I seek insurance it asks if the bike is modified......is unrestricting it a modification? I assumed not, and got the quote, but no where did it ask about restricted.

I do not like the thought of him on roads with a max speed of 28 mph that’s silly and unsafe, but am I breaking the law getting him an unrestricted bike and will he be insured in the event of accident?

Any help really appreciated

Thanks

Sarriea

Hi and welcome to the forum

Unfortunately yes you would be breaking the law as he wouldn't be riding in accordance with his licence he will be stuck to a moped at 49cc and a speed of 50km (31mph) until he is 17 then could get a 125

I would also save your money and not do the am license put it to more use of the A1 when he is old enough etc

Guest Swagman

If the bike was manufactured with the restriction fitted then if removed it has been modified from it’s original build.

Thank you both very much, the garage technician said he drove unrestricted at 16, got insurance on the bike and didn’t tell them....but the “what if” is ever present to me as an issue,

Save your money and get a cheap 50cc runabout for him to use and learn on, bikes like the RS4 are thief magnets and almost certainly he will drop it at some point and the repair bill could be quite steep, then trade it in for a 125 when he turns 17 his CBT will still be valid for another year then he can use the 125 to do his A1 test :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Hi and welcome.

Got to agree with others don't go wasting money on some trick 50cc if hes never ridden a bike on the road before it will only end in tears

I did something similar when I was 18/19

Bought a grey import scooter and was finding it next to impossible to get insurance on it (They had never heard of the brand so was unwilling to insure)

I used it as transport for work while still trying to get it insured and was pulled by a police bike trap (I wasn't speeding it was a 50cc :lol: )

6 points and £380 fine :crybaby: that is not fun at such a young age as insurance is high enough without getting the added penalty price hike.

If something similar happened to your son he would also be classed as riding with no insurance and no license. Not worth it I think :cheers:

P.S. The garage guy will tell you it doesn't matter as he wants to sell you the bike and make some money :lol:

Thank you both very much, the garage technician said he drove unrestricted at 16, got insurance on the bike and didn’t tell them....but the “what if” is ever present to me as an issue,

The "what if" is just not worth it. If he gets caught at 16 riding outwith the terms of his insurance, he could become virtually impossible to insure for a very long time.

I bought a smashing CG125 for our kid. He dropped it twice in the first month. Cost me another couple of hundred in bits.

If I had my time again I’d only get a nekkid bike with no plastics.