Anyone here bought a Shoei helmet recently?

I've just ordered one from Helmet City... and when it came it looked like this:

20200509_191037.thumb.jpg.606b8d33658918e600120a3e29dd2daf.jpg

20200509_191044.thumb.jpg.f7d83654501240f74319e97f7bb3edb8.jpg

20200509_191103.thumb.jpg.2f83a50aaea2d1a56e2be1f7ea1a6c26.jpg

It looks to all the world that the visor film has been taken off and replaced without much care. This isn't what I'd expect to buy in a shop, so I wrote back to them, and they replied saying

We have looked at the photos and we can confirm this is how a lot of Shoei helmets come from the manufaturer. We are confident your helmet is new.

Is this true? Would you buy a new helmet like this? Have you bought a new helmet in this condition?

I bought a Shoei back in February and didn't look like that when it came out of the box. I didn't buy it on the interweb though. That is one item that can vary so much in size and fit that it has to be a shop bought one for me. It's probably a new one but it looks as thought it's been tried on by someone, sent back to the shop and repackaged for posting out again to another punter.

Thread hijack:

Any news from Pure Triumph?

Yep, contacted them today. Bike arrived at the store on Friday. Woot.

They are getting back to me after they've had the weekly podcast from the director telling them if I can have it. Not a woot.

I've just ordered one from Helmet City... and when it came it looked like this:

20200509_191037.jpg

20200509_191044.jpg

20200509_191103.jpg

It looks to all the world that the visor film has been taken off and replaced without much care. This isn't what I'd expect to buy in a shop, so I wrote back to them, and they replied saying

We have looked at the photos and we can confirm this is how a lot of Shoei helmets come from the manufaturer. We are confident your helmet is new.

Is this true? Would you buy a new helmet like this? Have you bought a new helmet in this condition?

I've just extensively Googled this helmet and in almost every image there is some visible lifting and wrinkling of the PVC visor protector . Remember it's a flat piece of material that is supposed to cling to a compound curved surface without the use of adhesive. If there is absolutely nothing else wrong with the helmet then I honestly wouldn't worry about it .

I've just extensively Googled this helmet and in almost every image there is some visible lifting and wrinkling of the PVC visor protector . Remember it's a flat piece of material that is supposed to cling to a compound curved surface without the use of adhesive. If there is absolutely nothing else wrong with the helmet then I honestly wouldn't worry about it .

I'd add that it's not like the stores have had any customers for the last few weeks, so chances of anybody messing about with it is almost nil.

Cheers fastbob. I've just been looking at some unboxing videos on youtube, and - you're spot on - they all have a bit of wrinkling on the visor protector.

The helmet is a tad too large. I might phone them up and have a chat to see if they can swap the inner lining for different sized one.

Oh blimey, this technology lark isn't fun. My laptop is only used for gaming but I'm having to stumble through updates, settings and downloads - not something I have the patience for. That and the SRL2 doesn't fit into it neatly. There has been the same amount of swearing as happened the last time I changed a bath tap washer.

Tag on a malting Retriever who was a) attacking the helmet and b) shedding fluff in-between the visor and the Pinlock and I'm all "GAH!"'d out. :lol:

Guest Swagman

Yep. Mine is wrinkly.

Oddly, that’s a phrase I’m using ever more frequently as I get older.

C218568C-6C47-4C8C-93DF-19FB7E712E51.jpeg

Wrinkly yeah I know that only too well. :D :D

He's such a fusspot...one of his more entertainingly endearing qualities.

I'd be quite a nice guy if I wasn't such an ar*ehole. :lol:

My Neotech2 leaked with the visor fully down, I took it back to Demon Tweaks & tbf they sent it back to Shoei, about 3 weeks later when I got it back it didn't leak. Mine also had slightly wrinkly film visor protector :thumb:

Did you get the SRL with the lid?

Can’t say I’m a massive fan of the three buttons on mine, they’re impossible to operate with thick gloves - might have to grab the handlebar control.

Plus, “Hey Siri” only works if the phone is in front of me. Doesn’t respond when it’s in a pocket. Fine for setting the music going before I shift off, but hopeless on the move. Certainly made my mind up about getting a phone mount for the Tiger.

Nope. I was going to fit my cardo onto it - apparently it can be made to fit reasonably ok. I've read some complaints in the reviews about the SRL controls being awkward to use with gloves, so you're not alone.

I've been making my mind up what to do with it, but I've decided now to return it. It doesn't fit right, and I really want to go into a shop and try out how it feels with different pads and stuff. Can't really do that online.

Nope. I was going to fit my cardo onto it - apparently it can be made to fit reasonably ok. I've read some complaints in the reviews about the SRL controls being awkward to use with gloves, so you're not alone.

I've been making my mind up what to do with it, but I've decided now to return it. It doesn't fit right, and I really want to go into a shop and try out how it feels with different pads and stuff. Can't really do that online.

That’s a shame mate. Being a medium, I’ve never had a problem with Shoei, they always seem to give a great snug fit for my fat head from the off. Really chuffed with it tbh, great ventilation and flip system - just a shame about the flap that needed sorting every time I pulled the front back down.

Can’t say I’m a massive fan of the three buttons on mine, they’re impossible to operate with thick gloves - might have to grab the handlebar control.

Plus, “Hey Siri” only works if the phone is in front of me. Doesn’t respond when it’s in a pocket. Fine for setting the music going before I shift off, but hopeless on the move. Certainly made my mind up about getting a phone mount for the Tiger.

I’ve got the Sena on my GT Air 2 and struggled for a while. I found out that holding the middle button down and waiting for the third, higher pitched beep activates Siri. Hope this makes it easier for you. :cheers:

I’ve got the Sena on my GT Air 2 and struggled for a while. I found out that holding the middle button down and waiting for the third, higher pitched beep activates Siri. Hope this makes it easier for you. :cheers:

Going out in a second - I'll try it, cheers :)

It worked the first time. Then I switched to FM Radio. Then it didn't work. I still find it a pig to find the buttons and I wore thin summer gloves just now.

I only need music, so I'll just set up a couple of albums or a playlist before I head off and that'll last me till I need to hit a petrol stop. Can't say I'd recommend the SRL to anyone, I'm sure a cheaper unit would've done the music job just as well - but then it wouldn't be seamlessly integrated.

Just need to try receiving a call now.

Yeh I was really disappointed to be honest. The sound quality when listening to music is awful, and when Siri is activated it’s ridiculously loud and distorted!!! I can’t remember what I paid for the SRL2 system but I’m sure it wasn’t far off £300 when it was released. “Best system available” I was told, and it fitted neatly into my lid too. How wrong was that!?!? Lol

On the plus side, at least you can use Siri when riding. I’ve got a few playlists set up, so I just say “play “.....” playlist on shuffle” and it works. Answering calls is a brief held down press of the middle button. But sometimes that cancels the call :roll:

I’ve been considering the handle bar mounted button pad thingy, can’t remember what it’s called. According to a few YouTube videos, it makes life much simpler.