Powering a Tomtom or Garmin sat nav with USB.

The Tomtom can be powered by micro usb but you have to have the waterproof flap open which would obviously cause problems in the rain and would void any warranty. I am not sure if you could do this while its in a Tomtom mount, I'll check tomorrow. It was possible with the V5 but the passive cradle needed modifying slightly.

My preference would ALWAYS be to wire it to a switched source.

Thanks, hard wire it is, which does mean I can still use the USB to charge my phone and power packs on the move.

I presume the hard wire is straightforward, find a route to the battery?

Remember wiring straight to the battery means it will always be live and the Tomtom active mount has a tiny current draw even if the unit is not mounted. This is similar to a phone wall charger using power even if there is no phone plugged in, it's the voltage converter that uses the power.

If you can find an ignition triggered live you can easily tap into it with a Positap.

https://posi-connect.com/collections/posi-tap

Or use something like this if you intend to add other accessories

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-f650cs-f650gs-f650-dakar/fuzeblock-switchable-fuse-panel

Not cheap but I've had mine on three different bikes.

It will replace a car sat nav in a waterproof holder and since my bike always lives outside, I am in the habit of removing it when parked up.

What are you getting? the tomtom or the garmin?

Don't forget to have a look here https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1338/27907,3190,0

the forum gets a little bit of commission so you will be doing your bit to keep us going :lol:

What sized ring terminal do I need to get?

I have a crimping tool and can solder, depending on what is the best way to connect the wire to the ring.

From memory bolts are M5.

Lugs to suit cable size.

Wire cross section: Red 0.5-1.5mm, Blue 1.5-2.5mm, Yellow 4-6mm

What sized ring terminal do I need to get?

I have a crimping tool and can solder, depending on what is the best way to connect the wire to the ring.

From memory bolts are M5.

Lugs to suit cable size.

Wire cross section: Red 0.5-1.5mm, Blue 1.5-2.5mm, Yellow 4-6mm

Forgot to add, crimps are fine with the correct size tool.

• 3 weeks later...

Would these do?

I have a route for the wire that means I do not need to remove any fairings and can easy fit and then unfit the sat nav. So fork connectors would make it easier for fitting and unfitting to the battery.

207340?w=1480&h=1110&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

Would these do?

I have a route for the wire that means I do not need to remove any fairings and can easy fit and then unfit the sat nav. So fork connectors would make it easier for fitting and unfitting to the battery.

Fork type spades are generally for fitting in a “cup” type terminal. If using on a battery terminal, which is usually just a washer and flat plate be careful the forks do not splay out as the bolt is tightened. Cheap thin forks can.

Would these do?

Fork type spades are generally for fitting in a “cup” type terminal. If using on a battery terminal, which is usually just a washer and flat plate be careful the forks do not splay out as the bolt is tightened. Cheap thin forks can.

I generally find that these are too small to go round the bolts and have to be forced in

Would these do?

I generally find that these are too small to go round the bolts and have to be forced in

Wasn’t a problem when I was working. We had fork terminals in red blue and yellow cable sizes from 3mm to 10mm bolt diameter.

Wasn’t a problem when I was working. We had fork terminals in red blue and yellow cable sizes from 3mm to 10mm bolt diameter.

Might just be the ones I have used then

Maybe I should have said make sure it fits the bolt :lol: