Stupid mistake

Guest Richzx6r

I'm happy to say that this is one thread to which I have nothing to contribute

You my friend have lived a sheltered life :lol:

I was drilling a hole in a piece of metal. The metal was clamped in a vice on a table. I was holding the drill in one hand and I had the other hand leaned on the table. You can probably guess what happened next....Snap, the drill bit broke and the drill slipped off the metal and I drilled straight into my thumb that was on the table :thumb: What a plonker

Guest Richzx6r

I was drilling a hole in a piece of metal. The metal was clamped in a vice on a table. I was holding the drill in one hand and I had the other hand leaned on the table. You can probably guess what happened next....Snap, the drill bit broke and the drill slipped off the metal and I drilled straight into my thumb that was on the table :thumb: What a plonker

I know how that feels......

I have way too many DIY related injuries to talk about :shock:

My dad used to say if you don't draw blood you haven't done a good job!

Half my tools are data tagged with my DNA :lol:

One of the worst I did was putting a screw in to some wood and it slipped and the screwdriver went through my finger :shock:

That was painful

I almost knocked myself out the other week in the garage! I bent down to pick an axe up and belted my head on the corner of the work bench! These are square edged worktop and it dug straight in to my head :bang:

Heres what I alluded to in my first post.

26648137_10215299972956563_210131261_n.jpg.adb8436bdbdef4e9baa80029b3b23ced.jpg

Doesn't look much but bloody hurt and steadily got worse :cry: My hand just slipped while wiping down the range and went straight into the fish pan & the +185° fat :shock: I remember looking at the clock and thinking "shit, its only 5, i've got another 4 hours of frying to do' :lol:

How it looked by time I got home

IMG_20180113_083531.jpg.7060924d72fb2908e3cc74f144c15812.jpg

Was splash marks going all up my arm too.

The cleaning was the worst bit as I had lost plenty of layers of skin :roll: I covered it in antiseptic gel and worked with a glove on for a week or so as it was the only way I could stand it being near the heat from the pans .

When I showed my boss the first thing he said was why didn't I call him to cover me so I could go home and the second thing was getting me to admit it was my own fault for being stupid and not concentrating :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

26648137_10215299972956563_210131261_n.jpg

Doesn't look much but bloody hurt and steadily got worse :cry: My hand just slipped while wiping down the range and went straight into the fish pan & the +185° fat :shock: I remember looking at the clock and thinking "shit, its only 5, i've got another 4 hours of frying to do' :lol:

IMG_20180113_083531.jpg

The cleaning was the worst bit as I had lost plenty of layers of skin :roll: I covered it in antiseptic gel and worked with a glove on for a week or so as it was the only way I could stand it being near the heat from the pans .

When I showed my boss the first thing he said was why didn't I call him to cover me so I could go home and the second thing was getting me to admit it was my own fault for being stupid and not concentrating :lol:

Holy shite......you really should have got medical attention to that that could have got infected really easily!!

And by antiseptic gel you mean the alcohol gel stuff?

IMG_20180113_083531.jpg

Holy shite......you really should have got medical attention to that that could have got infected really easily!!

Probably germolene :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

IMG_20180113_083531.jpg

Probably germolene :lol:

I'm wincing at the mere thought of it :?

[mention]Stu[/mention] it certainly stung a bit. I knew it was going to hurt as I felt no pain for the first 5 minutes or so, just knew it was coming :lol:

[mention]Richzx6r[/mention] You sound like my Wife :mrgreen: No I didn't get it treated and yes I know I should of. I used a tube of savlon we had in the bathroom cupboard. Amazingly I didnt even get a scar from the burn.

@Stu it certainly stung a bit. I knew it was going to hurt as I felt no pain for the first 5 minutes or so, just knew it was coming :lol:

@Richzx6r You sound like my Wife :mrgreen: No I didn't get it treated and yes I know I should of. I used a tube of savlon we had in the bathroom cupboard. Amazingly I didnt even get a scar from the burn.

You can't run to the hospital with every little niggle

Guest Richzx6r

@Stu it certainly stung a bit. I knew it was going to hurt as I felt no pain for the first 5 minutes or so, just knew it was coming :lol:

@Richzx6r You sound like my Wife :mrgreen: No I didn't get it treated and yes I know I should of. I used a tube of savlon we had in the bathroom cupboard. Amazingly I didnt even get a scar from the burn.

I'd agree if it was just a slight burn but that's a 1st degree burn so bit more than just a niggle

I am very stupid (we can just leave it there!) when it comes to medical treatment. I am the sort who would glue a cut up rather than get it stitched :P

My Wife had a birthday party the day after and everyone who saw it kept asking me what the hospital had said :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

I am very stupid (we can just leave it there!) when it comes to medical treatment. I am the sort who would glue a cut up rather than get it stitched :P

My Wife had a birthday party the day after and everyone who saw it kept asking me what the hospital had said :lol:

Lol well its what super glue was invented for

I'd agree if it was just a slight burn but that's a 1st degree burn so bit more than just a niggle

I was alluding to his resilience, having spent more than a few hours in A&E it always makes me mad when you see what some of the f*ckwits belive are an emergency.

At least with triage some of them don't make it past the door.

I have seen on multiple occasions the police fetching the salt of the earth (scum) who invariably are delaying a trip to the cells, funniest was a prick who said his right shoulder had been dislocated, passed triage, booked in, sat down, nurse came out to take notes and he said it was his left shoulder, he was obviously pissed and or stoned, police dragged him off laughing.

Loosely related: It is actually a common trick with fish fryers to dunk your fingers in the batter and then dip them in and out of the pan to scare new staff members :lol:

You can do it for 2 or 3 seconds before it gets too hot :D

I have had a very healthy respect for any kind of power tool since our woodwork teacher had his fingers pulled off on a vertical sanding disc . I also knew a girl whose hair had gone into a lathe at school . Luckily it yanked a big piece of scalp off before she was pulled in . The hospital grafted it back on . So I've always been extra careful and it has paid off .

I have had a very healthy respect for any kind of power tool since our woodwork teacher had his fingers pulled off on a vertical sanding disc . I also knew a girl whose hair had gone into a lathe at school . Luckily it yanked a big piece of scalp off before she was pulled in . The hospital grafted it back on . So I've always been extra careful and it has paid off .

What used to hurt more than the lathe chuck key stoting of your head on the way to the ceiling?

The blackboard rubber stoting of the back of your head because A you started it up with the key still in the jaw and B you didn't pull the guard down.

Guest Swagman

When I was a young un I was very lucky I wanted to lengthen the cable on my record player hi fidelity don’t you know, so got mums big scissors and promptly cut through the wire while still plugged in , scissors were fooked after that. :D :shock: :shock:

I've had far too many electrical mishaps over the years :lol:

Fitting downlights to the downstairs landing. Switched fuse off for all lights downstairs so no problem right? :?

I learnt the hard way that hallway lights for upstairs and down are usually wired into the same circuit, in this case being the upstairs one :shock:

I quite liked that screwdriver as well :roll:

I vividly remember this one time where I was doing the dishes while looking over my shoulder to talk to [mention]BikerMooFromMars[/mention] who was in the next room, and succeeded in drawing a very large kitchen knife across one of my fingers. The blade just went straight through until it hit something hard, which was fun. SO much blood and in my initial panic the most reaction I could achieve was shouting loudly "LOU! LOU! BAD THING! BAD THING!" :lol:

Didn't bother going to the doctor, just improvised a splint with a lollipop stick and some plasters and kept it one for a few weeks until it had closed up. Healed pretty well, aside from the permanent indent in that finger!

I've had far too many electrical mishaps over the years :lol:

Fitting downlights to the downstairs landing. Switched fuse off for all lights downstairs so no problem right? :?

I learnt the hard way that hallway lights for upstairs and down are usually wired into the same circuit, in this case being the upstairs one :shock:

I quite liked that screwdriver as well :roll:

A common mistake. I know several who have done that. :shock:

Many many years ago my radio control boat had a aero engine installed. One day it would not start. So took it out. Bolted it into my bench mounted vice. Fitted a 7 inch aircraft propeller onto it and proceeded to try to start it by flicking the prop. This went on for several minutes with just the occasional cough from the engine. So was well into the routine flick, pause, flick etc. Then the engine fired up and I was so into the grove, I stuck my finger into the prop arc to flick it again.

It hurt. Prop cut across 3 fingers.

I was on my own and as the bleeding was not stopping I wrapped a towel round my hand and drove to A&E.

Nurse asked how I had done it. Not saying I said, up you will only laugh.

We won’t laugh she said. We need to know she said in case of infections. So I told.

And did they laugh, oh yes they did, laughed their heads off.

No traditional stitches, not enough skin left on the back off the fingers so just Butterfly tapes to pull the edges together.

It was fun removing them later.