Free UK courses - advanced etc

I keep hearing about free courses aimed at riders wanting to advance their skills, but can't find anything online. (i know we are locked down)

I will be doing bikesafe when they allow but what else is there?

Id love to do anything that will help me be a better safer rider, cheers

I keep hearing about free courses aimed at riders wanting to advance their skills, but can't find anything online. (i know we are locked down)

I will be doing bikesafe when they allow but what else is there?

Id love to do anything that will help me be a better safer rider, cheers

Road Craft is a worthy read.

motorcycle road craft

https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+road+craft&sxsrf=ALeKk01Szc44dxwHN_JopHVnbcnBYzkwDA:1589548691037&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN_9Oo-rXpAhXkShUIHbPwDtwQ_AUoA3oECBsQBQ&biw=1366&bih=667

For faster riding or just better bike handling

A Twist of the Wrist

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=shop&sxsrf=ALeKk02TQAXq92rsdXeSemogfJU6SxyIfw%3A1589548721152&ei=sZa-XrjrCMLYxgPE0pGAAQ&q=twist+of+the+wrist&oq=twist+of+the+wrist&gs_l=psy-ab-sh.3..0l2j0i24k1l8.1319.1538.0.1984.2.2.0.0.0.0.118.197.1j1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab-sh..0.2.195....0.yNVIQ4ppQuw

There is also a video that can often be found in full with full sound with a bit of googling I have nto bought the book ;)

If someone could pm me the link to the vid......

twist of the wrist?

Not the one six sent you :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Its on youtube if you search for it there is also twist of the wrist 2

Its very cheesy though! (not six's vid)

Most of the free UK courses are just an introduction / taster. To get a full, in person, course you will have to pay for it

was thinking that too. The only free thing I found was the road assit course, how to react to crashed bikers etc, will do that and bike safe and look at advanced riding with the guy I did my lessons with.

RoSPA do observed rides (where you get feedback on your riding) and all you pay is £10 or £20 a time to cover your observer's costs. You can opt to take the test, for about £60 or £70, but you don't need to. Of course, nothing's happening at the moment...

A bike instructor is not automatically an advanced instructor. You should check out IAMs and ROSPA I did mine with and am a member of IAM.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses

https://www.rospa.com/

Mine was, he does run advanced courses. I know one of the courses last year was a trip to scotland and one trains and the other tests. (2 of them)

But I was hoping for others like government sponsored too.

Somethings are worth paying for. Extra tuition is one of the best things you can do to improve your bike, think of it as a mod that can transfer between every bike you ride.

Personally I've done the enhanced rider scheme which cost about £60, this was 6 hours of tuition one 2 one with my original instructor that I did DAS with. I did this about 6 months after passing my test. https://www.gov.uk/enhanced-rider-scheme

After 2 years of riding I did IAM. It cost me £100 to sign up as I did it at the bike show at the NEC, I had 6 observed rides which I didn't have to pay any extra money for but I did give my observer £10 along with buying him a coffee each time. Each time we met up was generally for about 4 hours. Then I had a test which was included with the original sign up fee.

Overall I'd say I've had about 30 hours of one to one tuition for the princely sum of £220. I feel that it's helped my riding a lot, I may have picked things up all by my own just through experience but it would most likely have taken me longer than 2.5 years. I'm glad I did it but not everyone thinks the same.

• Like 1

If you want free training watch youtube. If you want to actually have someone watch how you ride and coach you into being a better, safer rider pay for it. Both RoSPA and IAM are charities, their course costs are minimal less than you would spend on a decent helmet or a service of your bike.

From experience people who do get the occasional free courses don't commit and generally piss of the people who are trying to help them

Somethings are worth paying for. Extra tuition is one of the best things you can do to improve your bike, think of it as a mod that can transfer between every bike you ride.

Personally I've done the enhanced rider scheme which cost about £60, this was 6 hours of tuition one 2 one with my original instructor that I did DAS with. I did this about 6 months after passing my test. https://www.gov.uk/enhanced-rider-scheme

After 2 years of riding I did IAM. It cost me £100 to sign up as I did it at the bike show at the NEC, I had 6 observed rides which I didn't have to pay any extra money for but I did give my observer £10 along with buying him a coffee each time. Each time we met up was generally for about 4 hours. Then I had a test which was included with the original sign up fee.

Overall I'd say I've had about 30 hours of one to one tuition for the princely sum of £220. I feel that it's helped my riding a lot, I may have picked things up all by my own just through experience but it would most likely have taken me longer than 2.5 years. I'm glad I did it but not everyone thinks the same.

that is very cheap for the level of info you would gain. I wasn't being tight as such but I know some free courses are good stepping stones. But yes my instructor does advanced and once working again was going to ask him. Then like you after a little more experience do the IAM and bike safe as its cheap anyway. thankyou

• 7 months later...
On 23/05/2020 at 21:44, Bungleaio said:

Spot on. I like the perspective you’ve brought to the conversation. I’ll pass that on...

• Thanks 1