Bike knocked over - still safe?

workpeter

About a month ago, an old lady knocked my parked motorbike over with her car. She was going maybe 2mph, so it was a gentle push, but I notice damage on the fairing which I'm getting repaired later. The bike also seemed fine when I rode it around the block once at around 20mph.

Anyways, my concern is when this lock down is over, and i have to go back on the motorway. Could there be some unseen damage caused by the bike falling over, which might make the motorbike unsafe to ride? I don't fancy coming off at 70mph. Are there particular areas of the motorbike which I should inspect further or get my mechanic to focus on?

Unless the dear lady run over it a small hit like that won't make any structural damage.

If when you ride it there was no odd pull to the side you're fine with it. :cheers:

Forgot to mention.

a couple of pics of the damaged area could help to have a better idea of the affected area.

Its OK us lot saying it will be fine etc but we haven't seen it to say

If you're in any doubt then I would get it checked out just to put your mind at rest

Saying that normally a drop will usually bend or snap levers and pegs and you usually can feel these are out of position when you ride it. Radiators and exhausts can take a bit of a bump too.

Could have bent bars , weakened/snapped brake levers/pedals/ footrests

Depending on where they hit it misaligned the wheels, damaged engine casings ,radiator

Or not affected anything .

Have a good check or get someone who knows to check things over

Which particular areas should you inspect ? All of them ! Trust your own judgement , it's just a machine .

Which particular areas should you inspect ? All of them ! Trust your own judgement , it's just a machine .

JUST A MACHINE??????

How dare you Sir????

Calling a motorbike "just" a machine... :roll:

My missus did the same to mine, I lost a mirror and any shred of respect I had for her driving. Also some form of ball off the end of the footpeg but no structural damage. Just cosmetic, hopefully yours is the same.

JUST A MACHINE??????

How dare you Sir????

A motorcycle is something far greater than the sum of it's parts it's true , but it's still a machine .

I did nearly 100 mile after someone knocked it over, I was a long way from home. £2900 of his insurer's money and it was back to like new. Nothing fundamentally damaged just cosmetically.

Provided your clutch and brake and gear changes are fine you'll probably be fine. Any doubt call your insurer and get a hire bike delivered asap.

My missus did the same to mine, I lost a mirror and any shred of respect I had for her driving. Also some form of ball off the end of the footpeg but no structural damage. Just cosmetic, hopefully yours is the same.

The ball on the end of the foot peg is what scrapes the ground when you lean over in a corner. They bolt on so I think the idea is that as they wear away you're supposed to replace them with a new one and that stops you wearing away the foot pegs

The ball on the end of the foot peg is what scrapes the ground when you lean over in a corner. They bolt on so I think the idea is that as they wear away you're supposed to replace them with a new one and that stops you wearing away the foot pegs

That makes sense, it was threaded! it made a brilliant projectile to throw at her when I realised what she had done :lol: :lol:

That makes sense, it was threaded! it made a brilliant projectile to throw at her when I realised what she had done :lol: :lol:

Also called hero blobs :D

The idea is that it lifts the peg before it digs into the ground and throws you down the road

The idea is that it lifts the peg before it digs into the ground and throws you down the road

Makes sense. I think that's why the foot pegs fold back too.

JUST A MACHINE??????

How dare you Sir????

A motorcycle is something far greater than the sum of it's parts it's true , but it's still a machine .

Well....

This is outrageous!!!!

You're made of meat so calling you a person or a rumpsteak should mean the same following that logic.

I'm glade my dear Bikey isn't listening to all these nonsense, would cost me a fortune in therapy... :P

Give it a quick once over check usual suspects, brakes throttle etc,, hopefully all ok

Just take it easy when out on the road.

Hopefully all ok and slowly build up your confidence again..