Jobs!

QBoiii

If the admins/moderators feel this is a bit to personal, please feel free to delete it but I am after finding out what jobs people do.

I'm currently in the RAF and am due out next august, and although I have been offered a few decent jobs through friends and their families, I have no idea what to do. I have started a business which is going to take a while to get off the ground before it's paying the mortgage so am looking at something part-time but have no idea where to start. Luckily we get a fairly decent resettlement package which we can use for courses and qualifications but I have no clue what to use them for. I can't stand sitting behind a computer all day, but other than my management qualifications and driving licences, I don't really have any qualifications that will be much use to a civvy company. That's where I thought I'd ask you guys and see what weird and wonderful jobs you did to maybe get some inspiration for my next profession. I'm leaning towards a driving job at the moment, a few days a week, or a mate of mine who owns a scaffolding company offered to take me on and i was in shock at how much those guys make!

I'm all over the place at the mo, and luckily I still have over a year to decide but any help or ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance :thumb: :cheers:

What do you do in raf any transferable skills?

I'm an Armourer. I do Bombs, Missiles, Ejection Seats, small arms, ammunition, its what we call a technical trade, engineering mainly but on stuff that goes boom. There are jobs working with the old bill and their weapons but I'd rather stick my love stick in a wasps nest. As part of the resettlement package I did a course about interview techniques, CV writing and transferrable skills. They made us realise we have a lot to offer stood next to the bloke straight from Uni with the qualifications but no life skills but I'm also no nieve enough to think I'm going to get the first job I go for. Thanks Bender! always helping me out :cheers:

do you have a good head for heights :?:

Thanks Skyrider! Yeah, I'm OK with heights! jumped out of a few planes, always made it down safetly :lol: :lol: well, so far so good.....

Pyrotechnics, you already work with high explosives, know how to handle them safely, should be fairly straight forward to get a licence with your background etc :thumb:

Pyrotechnics, you already work with high explosives, know how to handle them safely, should be fairly straight forward to get a licence with your background etc :thumb:

Pyro's are my bread and butter! There is a company nearby that does theatrical pyrotechnics and fireworks, i hadn't thought of them! Thanks Dynax! I have touched base with a few bomb disposal companies that work on building sites which is a potential but they didn't offer any part time work.

You may already be aware of it but

Armed Forces Covenant

https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/support-and-advice/service-leavers/

See what employers are a part ( personally avoid a large transport company whose livery is green )

My Current Employer ( yellow break down recovery vehicles) are a part and quite a few ex service

To be honest Tim, i was aware of it but had never thought of using it to aid my job searching! that's a brilliant Idea and I'll get looking to see who's local to me. Thanks Tim!

Don't think what I do would appeal to you!

I've spent the last 32 years of my life looking at computer screens!

https://www.webspain.net/

It would drive me insain! i need a few weeks off after just an hour on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm used to it.......but people don't realise how hard it actually is when you have to keep concentrating on a screen all the time. And I have to be on call 7 days a week as well.

There's a big difference between using a PC for entertainment and using one for work!

You may already be aware of it but

Armed Forces Covenant

https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/support-and-advice/service-leavers/

See what employers are a part ( personally avoid a large transport company whose livery is green )

My Current Employer ( yellow break down recovery vehicles) are a part and quite a few ex service

To be honest Tim, i was aware of it but had never thought of using it to aid my job searching! that's a brilliant Idea and I'll get looking to see who's local to me. Thanks Tim!

No worries

https://www.ctp.org.uk/job-finding/directory is the link from that page

Don't think what I do would appeal to you!

I've spent the last 32 years of my life looking at computer screens!

https://www.webspain.net/

It would drive me insain! i need a few weeks off after just an hour on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm used to it.......but people don't realise how hard it actually is when you have to keep concentrating on a screen all the time. And I have to be on call 7 days a week as well.

There's a big difference between using a PC for entertainment and using one for work!

This is true! when I first started the forum and everything had to be coded in by hand and could sometimes take an hour or two I had to move away from the computer as the strain on your eyes was terrible!

Most stuff if plug and play now

This is true! when I first started the forum and everything had to be coded in by hand and could sometimes take an hour or two I had to move away from the computer as the strain on your eyes was terrible!

Most stuff if plug and play now

30 years ago we were on VGA monitors......that was hard.

SVGA improved it a bit......but it wasn't until the later flatscreens came along that it got easier.

But by then the damage had been done to my vision.

I bet its alot easier now with new style screens and the general awareness of things like posture, taking a break every so often and so on

Screens are better for sure......but taking a break when you need it isn't guaranteed because it's dependent on how many mails, calls, Whatsapp messages etc are coming in.

I could be doing next to nothing for most of the day......on the other hand it could be completely manic. Every day is different.

I left The Army in 1994! (i was an Inst.Tech and already an electrician before I joined)

I used the driving licenses obtained in The Army and did some agency driving for a few months

while I looked for a proper job :D

I then used the skills learnt on resettlement and blagged my way into a job working for a facilities

management company on automotive production lines.

i got promoted to foreman pretty quickly.

The same firm then got a contract at a new induction foundry so I went there to help set it up in 1998.

I'm still there now! (when not furloughed)

Take your time and Good Luck! :thumb:

I left The Army in 1994! (i was an Inst.Tech and already an electrician before I joined)

I used the driving licenses obtained in The Army and did some agency driving for a few months

while I looked for a proper job :D

I then used the skills learnt on resettlement and blagged my way into a job working for a facilities

management company on automotive production lines.

i got promoted to foreman pretty quickly.

The same firm then got a contract at a new induction foundry so I went there to help set it up in 1998.

I'm still there now! (when not furloughed)

Take your time and Good Luck! :thumb:

How did you find the transition to civvy street? I'm a bit worried if I'm honest, that I'm going to get myself in trouble. I've had 13 years where turning up hungover, dropping the C bomb and other unmentionable things were the norm :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure I could walk into a normal workplace without offending everyone so a driving job like you did is looking more and more attractive. On my own in a wagon with minimal civvy interaction to start with might be the sensible option.

You could always go self employed as a pond and outdoor swimming pool builder, you can overcome the hardest part and just blow up a big fekking hole :lol: :thumb:

I'm in the police many ex military join but going from one service to another may not be your thing. Me personally jobs like that can only be done for so long before they take their toll. I know many ex police and military do part time security work which pays exceptionally well. OCS docs lot of work locally where I am including Birmingham airport and many in your background quite easily get management positions very quickly on a part time basis. Could be worth your time doing Sia you don't have to just to pub door work. My old friend does a lot of driving work and security management. Pharmacies also like ex forces for part time meds deliveries if DBS checked and pay good money. It's good you have a growing business and sounds like you will just need something as a bit of top up

the transition is hard! civvies have no sense of humour and they can't drink! :lol:

'Scuse me, but last time I went to a forces 'event' I was last man standing.

I wasn't very well the next day however. Claiming seasickness moored in harbour doesn't work.