First bike , for 42 year old passed test 2006

Dion.crozier

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would love some advice please.

I'm 42, passed my test back in 2006 and haven't had a bike since...

Had Motocross bike when young, 50 at 17 and 125 briefly, and couple of other crossers in 20's.

So I'm wanting a bike again but classing myself as a beginner, I'm looking at the A2 type bikes, Duke 390 or Yamaha mt03, what does everyone think?, These bikes are coming in between £2400- £3000, and that is bang on my budget.

Thanks in advance

Dion

Hi Dion

It all depends what you want from a bike.

I personally think that you would get fed up with lack of power pretty quickly with anything smaller than a 600cc

You have a couple of options from where I’m sitting.

You have experience and that never leaves you. You will just be very rusty, so you could find a local school that is recommended and pay for a few refresher lessons until you feel comfortable. Then go and test ride as many bikes as you like.

Or go and test ride some bikes straight off the bat. You could start with the smaller bikes and build up as you start to feel more comfortable.

Just don’t tell the sales guy you haven’t ridden for a LONG time.

I too passed my test in 2006 at the age of 36. I had to stop in 2009 due to health reasons but in 2014 I came back and took a CBR600RR for test ride. As the sales guy handed me the keys he casually asked how long it was since I’d ridden (I told him about my bad back)

His face went white as I told him 5 years. 😂😂

The colour only seemed to come back when I arrived back after an hour and a half, handed him the keys and said I’d have it 😁

Remember to adjust the clutch biting point on each bike to suit yourself.

Good luck in your search.

What do you want to do with your bike:

Touring?

Green lanes?

Posing at local bike night?

Ride all year?

Summer only?

About you:

Do you have a beard?

Do you find yourself drawn to textiles /breathable clothing?

Do you want to wear matching bike gear to your bike?

Do you want bike gear made from real cows?

Do you plan to go to:

Europe?

Silverstone?

Local Greasy Spoon?

Touring with textiles BMW GSA

Touring with beard and real Cows Cruiser probably Harley,

Real cows Silverstone and colour coordinated sports bike. Full on power ranger.

If you are buying a bike to escape the misses. May I suggest a Kawasaki, in green. When you change bikes your misses probably won't notice they all look the same.

This was pointed out to me by a Kawasaki dealer :o

I will stop with these analogies now before I insult all on here.

Ok you mention crossers what about TDM900

Don't worry about the 900 but my 600 was allot quicker ..

I would agree with others unless your going down the sports bike route. Don't go small cc.

I would also look to buy a bike with good history that you like for 1/2 your budget. Ride it and enjoy it until you know what you want with a bike

I bought my first bike for days out never thought I would use it for more it in the wet.

I now shop and commute by bike,i use my bikes when ever I don't have to take car. The only thing I avoid is slow and ice, having said that last t it was icy I took bike as it was easier than defrosting car.

Most people change bikes quite frequently so imho good history and bone you like the look of at right price.

Then see which category above you want to fit into...

Thanks for this guy's, I think I knew what you were all going to say and you did, 600 min, was just curious about the newer smaller bikes but I trust what you all day.

Forgot to mention what I'd be using bike for, from your answers a Kawasaki may be the way to go

, So, mainly weekend hobby, also I'd commute when I fancied,

Thanks again.

D

Had Motocross bike when young, 50 at 17 and 125 briefly, and couple of other crossers in 20's.

So I'm wanting a bike again but classing myself as a beginner, I'm looking at the A2 type bikes, Duke 390 or Yamaha mt03, what does everyone think?, These bikes are coming in between £2400- £3000, and that is bang on my budget.

Thanks in advance

Dion

The mt03 would be cost effective and is quite frugal on the fuel, a good used one would hold its price it you look after it and then want something bigger. The Duke 390 is a good little hooligan bike too. When you get a chance to take a look at a few and weight up what you want. At least if you buy a good used bike you shouldn't lose much money if any if you do get bored and want something bigger

Thanks in advance

Dion

The mt03 would be cost effective and is quite frugal on the fuel, a good used one would hold its price it you look after it and then want something bigger. The Duke 390 is a good little hooligan bike too. When you get a chance to take a look at a few and weight up what you want. At least if you buy a good used bike you shouldn't lose much money if any if you do get bored and want something bigger

Hi Dion

I’m 30 passed my full license few years ago and still not been on a bike since due to marriage and having kids. But now I’m ready and want to start biking again! Personally I’m just going to buy a new 125 and play on that for year or 2. Looking at Bullit Bulroc or AJs Scrambler.

Anyway just thought I’d say my reason for that is because I don’t have garage so will be kept in garden . I’m going to build a box storage unit for it and secure it in there. It needs to be light as my garden is a little difficult. It also gives me time to familiarise myself with a more basic bike and time to work out little things I may not of thought about that I might need. Thought it was worth a mention. Im also new to forum so Hi.

I passed my test in 2017, had a 650 for a few weeks, and haven’t ridden since. I was going to get a KTM390 or Yamaha R3, amp I’m sooo glad I went straight for the CBR650F, it was easy and sedate enough just to potter around on, and not too big to push around the garden.

I’m planning on getting another bike once I’m back to work, and it will be something along the MT-09 Or similar lines of things.