New underwear please!

Ian Frog

If anyone ever doubted how important the little circlips Kawasaki use on their rear spindle fastenings were look what happens when one pings off and you are unaware.

20200517_094552.thumb.jpg.1e5cc5eb0734070508b2bbbce7d07978.jpg

Felt just like a blow out then much wobbling stopped and reattached spindle and nut then rode home like miss Daisy lol.

Cheers

Ian

You are right guys very hairy and I was still a tad shaky when I got home.

Spindle now retorqued to 90Nm waiting for 3 little bits of wire ( part no. 92033) from Mr Cradley Kawasaki 1 as replacement 2 to go under seat lol.

Mind you £3.73 each just added insult to injury lol.

You should have seen the reaction of the guy I was overtaking at the time lol.

I didnt know you could stoppie a BMW K series with full luggage at over 80mph lol.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Spindle now retorqued to 90Nm waiting for 3 little bits of wire ( part no. 92033) from Mr Cradley Kawasaki 1 as replacement 2 to go under seat lol.

I didnt know you could stoppie a BMW K series with full luggage at over 80mph lol.

Cheers

Ian

Well mate we are just happy nothing bad came of it! 10 quid spent isn't much to be safe

Cheers

Ian

Well mate we are just happy nothing bad came of it! 10 quid spent isn't much to be safe

I totally agree and while she was on the bench I scraped and cleaned those recesses that the clips sit in and would advise everyone else who has this system to do the same.

The chain side which was the side in the pic I believe the residue of chain lube hadn't helped so this is now very clean.

At least it proves I haven`t neglected chain oiling lol.

Cheers

Ian

:shock:

Was the spindle torqued up before? I shall be double-checking the clips in mine tomorrow.

Oh yes 98Nm per the book.

Vibration is a wonderful loosener lol.

20200517_132028.thumb.jpg.908a29e2f5a1981c65f340336df2105f.jpg

Now torqued again waiting for postie.

Cheers

Ian

:shock:

Was the spindle torqued up before? I shall be double-checking the clips in mine tomorrow.

Oh yes 98Nm per the book.

Vibration is a wonderful loosener lol.

20200517_132028.jpg

Now torqued again waiting for postie.

Cheers

Ian

A lot of people think that vibration loosening is not a thing!

close one, could of ended bad.

stupid Kawasaki

If you had been following I am sure you would have had a giggle as the back end went all wibble and I was trying to gently scrub off speed mindful that wobble could get worse as I slowed down.

acceleration wasn't an option lol.

Cheers

Ian

Thats interesting new clips from Cradley just arrived.

Very different to the originals! Hmm has someone worked out there is a problem with the old anodized wire clip?

20200519_173646.thumb.jpg.0f4ada2700c755a4bf7af9f43aa46180.jpg20200519_174122.thumb.jpg.610922c2237d8f3fbafaa6d0b0ad11b9.jpg

Oh well now the plot coagulates I am afraid.

Checked bearings for damage after finding the rear wheel stiff to rotate when torqued up and found disc side notchy so new ordered.

Decided to fit old standard wheel as bearings known to be okay.

Once torqued in place also too stiff to rotate even with caliper removed.

Now getting concerned about swing arm itself

As the wheel turns freely at 75Nm once increased beyond 80Nm starts to stiffen and by 90Nm cant really be turned by one hand.

Now looking for dimensions of swingarm to try and establish if the thing is straight.

I am now in the market for suggestions lol as the wheel has been in and out several times and all spacers, washer etc have been checked and re checked.

Cheers

Ian

Maybe one of the adjusters is slightly warped?

My first thought was that maybe the axle wasn't straight any more but it must be or you'd never get it through the wheel, hmmm!

Guest Richzx6r

I'd guess that next you should check the run out of the axle just incase its slightly out of true, the swingarm could have bent slightly but it would probably be quite unlikely to bend the next guess will probably be an adjuster that is slightly binding on the axle or something

Maybe one of the adjusters is slightly warped?

My first thought was that maybe the axle wasn't straight any more but it must be or you'd never get it through the wheel, hmmm!

The swing arm is a very strong unit when subjected to stresses it is designed to take but notoriously weak in other directions.

I am lucky that a member of the ZRX owners forum has offered me a known straight swinger to try (not that kind lol).

So this afternoon saw a bit of activity in the garage !

Pics to follow.

Cheers

Ian

20200525_150238.thumb.jpg.fc7c442bdcdd97bfd7aa1a481dc05d0b.jpg20200525_150243.thumb.jpg.0cdf2f7b972ff0f1c284f3c2bc89a6cd.jpgIMG-20200525-WA0011.thumb.jpg.d58e2a1c6a1432c6fbd069eadee2ef71.jpg

Last pic is the kind offer from Al in the ZRX club.

So a detour on the way home from work tomorrow and I guess a couple of evenings in the garage to come.

Cheers

Ian