taking your bike off the road

anth_85

Anyone else considering taking their bike off the road in the current situation? 99% of the use of mine is for commuting and already hasn't moved for 10 weeks. I am now not doing that commute and won't be, likely for quite a while. My insurance expires on the 6th so I might save myself a few quid and not renew until I actually need to. I may do the same with the VED, but that will require a refund since I paid a year upfront, it's only £88 for the year so I am not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Just remember that if you let the insurance expire and don't renew then you'll need to SORN it. If it's taxed but not insured the DVLA will be in touch with a fine.

well that's a pain.

I have just completed it. Insurance lapses on June 9th, SORN from today. Pretty painless.

I would never risk No Insurance, Bike thieves are always about. I was going to leave my Bandit SORN but will Tax it from June.

My bike is in my garage, the front wheel is fixed to a ground anchor. As extra insurance, I'll remove the rear wheel, which I am tempted to refurb while it's off anyway. If someone wants it that badly to get into the garage, bust the chain attaching it to the ground anchor, bring their own wheel in order to move it, then manage to squeeze it past the car on my drive then they are welcome to it.